Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 10-02-2012, 04:28 PM   #1  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with that Cheaper Cardstock?

Okay Ladies,

I know I'm not the only one who owns it. Before I discovered SU, CTMH, Bazzill, and so forth; I bought a ton of that cheaper CS that almost feels like construction paper. You know, the Michael's brand, the AC Moore brand and so on.

So my question is this...what are you ladies doing with it now? It's not strong enough to be a card base. Are you just using it for die-cuts or layers? I hate to waste stuff and I can't imagine just giving it away or throwing it out. But, I also don't want to go through the hassle of trying to sell it.

What are your recommendations for it? :confused:
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #2  
Crimping Master

I gave it to my niece with markers and foam stamps and an ink pad or two. She was thrilled!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #3  
Polyshrink Goddess

I remember buying a whole pack of red paper at Michael's when I first started stamping....it even had envelopes! I thought it was fabulous! Then I discovered SU Real Red and realized nothing else would compare. I say donate what you really aren't going to use to some school or children's art group or such. You won't really want to use it and they will appreciate it.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 04:40 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Jennipher, I like to use mine as you described. I make my card front and adhere it to the card base, sometimes I use the paper for the base of the front. Hope that makes sense and that it helps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM   #5  
Rubber Obsessor

I have a ton of these types of papers. I use them with my cameo/wizard to cut out designs. They cut nicely with these machines. Also for card layers but not the bases
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:00 PM   #6  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be used as your scrap that you put under projects to protect your work area...to stamp off on, to test stamps before stamping on the good stuff. It could be cut into strips or squares or punched pieces and glued onto paper to make a background. Or donate it to a school. The teachers these days have to buy their own supplies so are grateful to get paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #7  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will use that kind of paper for punches...it will generally match up to some form of patterned paper that I have.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:55 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use the thinner stuff to line the inside of a card w/ a dark card base. Most of the time using a border punch to dress it up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-02-2012, 07:59 PM   #9  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroncoFan60View Post
I use the thinner stuff to line the inside of a card w/ a dark card base. Most of the time using a border punch to dress it up.
Great idea, must use this one. TFS!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 03:25 AM   #10  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Like others have mentioned, I use it for layering and punching. I use it in my scrapbooks, as long as it's acid-free, because it keeps the pages from being too bulky. I also use it for making envelopes. It's not too heavy, yet it stands up to the "trauma" of going through the mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 AM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

If the colors are pretty; layers or punches or die cuts. If you have cheaper white card stock, I would use that to test out ideas before stamping on the "good stuff" or I let my son and his friends have some to draw on. Good paper matters and that cheap white stuff from Michael's just won't give you a nice stamped image no matter what ink you use.

Anything that just looks too cheap, so much so that you KNOW you would never use it on a card I would donate to a school or even a senior center.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 12:22 PM   #12  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies have such fabulous ideas! I'm so glad I asked. I'm trying really hard not to be wasteful especially in these tough economic times. So, I'm loving the ideas for using the stuff. Keep em coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-03-2012, 04:52 PM   #13  
Die Cut Diva

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I love the better card stock for card bases and important layers. The cheaper card stock is wonderful with my Cricut for layering and cutting out special shapes. I will look into using the cheaper paper for envelopes too. Just got the new Scor-Pal and Scor-Envi tool and will make a ton of envelopes with this cheaper paper!!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 08:32 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Another vote for layering. I love these lighter weight papers for layering. I have lots and lots of them...lol.
blessings.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 12:26 PM   #15  
Hardware Hotshot

I purposely buy light ( cheap) weight card stock for making paper punch or die cut flowers. It shapes so much better than heavy card stock
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-04-2012, 11:57 PM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I love the Michael's cardstock. I will take it off your hands. !

If you are huge into electronic die cutting Recollections smooth cardstock cuts like butter with the electronic cutters.

I agree with Barbara Jay the cheaper cardstock is excellent for flowers. Add me to the vote it shapes better.

I also use Recollections to make my collages. Sometimes I want a lighter base for my collage weight.

Light cardstock embosses really pretty too especially with the Fiskars embossing plates. I always get a nice deep impression with light cardstock and Fiskars. I always get results like a ran an embossing folder through my machine.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
I love the Michael's cardstock. I will take it off your hands. !

If you are huge into electronic die cutting Recollections smooth cardstock cuts like butter with the electronic cutters.

I agree with Barbara Jay the cheaper cardstock is excellent for flowers. Add me to the vote it shapes better.

I also use Recollections to make my collages. Sometimes I want a lighter base for my collage weight.

Light cardstock embosses really pretty too especially with the Fiskars embossing plates. I always get a nice deep impression with light cardstock and Fiskars. I always get results like a ran an embossing folder through my machine.
I find it interesting that you used the company name "Recollections" and the reason why is I have "Recollections" and I have their older version called "The Paper Company". I can tell a huge difference in the weight between the two! Recollections is like using a true 65lb weight paper and I can see myself using that. However The Paper Company is more like construction paper. I also agree with your statement about getting better embossing with Fiskars plates. I have those and I have kinda given up on using them because with the heavier stocks it would barely impress let alone emboss.
So thanks for that reminder. This is turning into a very informative thread for me. I am determined to re-purpose and re-invent those older supplies.
So keep sharing the love ladies!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 04:21 AM   #18  
Glitter Guru

I know this is slightly off-topic, but I have a tip for you if you are trying to emboss on heavy-weight ciardstock with either the Fiskars plates or the Sizzix plates. Lightly mist your cardstock first. It helps you to get a much better embossed impression, and it doesn't damage your cardstock.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 05:40 AM   #19  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Received 122 Likes on 108 Posts

I also have used the inexpensive cardstock as a liner inside cards with dark bases.

One idea I haven't seen yet on this thread - if you're mailing a card with metal embellishments or buttons, cut a piece of the cheap cardstock to the size of your card and run it through your crimper, then insert that between the front of the card and the envelope. The crimped cardstock will help protect the card as it goes through the postal system.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't read the other posts, so forgive if i'm saying what everyone else is. But I do with my cheaper papers exactly what you said - die cut and layer.

I also do a lot of organizing my supplies; for instance, I'm currently (and will be for awhile, it's a slow process) making a sample book of all my dies. The cheaper paper is perfect for this. Along those same lines, I made binder rings samples of all of my embossing folders; used the cheap paper for those too. I figure it saves me $s over using the nicer papers for those purposes.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-05-2012, 09:14 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by PH in VAView Post
I also have used the inexpensive cardstock as a liner inside cards with dark bases.

One idea I haven't seen yet on this thread - if you're mailing a card with metal embellishments or buttons, cut a piece of the cheap cardstock to the size of your card and run it through your crimper, then insert that between the front of the card and the envelope. The crimped cardstock will help protect the card as it goes through the postal system.
Excellent idea! Thank you for sharing this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by stampticianView Post
I find it interesting that you used the company name "Recollections" and the reason why is I have "Recollections" and I have their older version called "The Paper Company". I can tell a huge difference in the weight between the two! Recollections is like using a true 65lb weight paper and I can see myself using that. However The Paper Company is more like construction paper. I also agree with your statement about getting better embossing with Fiskars plates. I have those and I have kinda given up on using them because with the heavier stocks it would barely impress let alone emboss.
So thanks for that reminder. This is turning into a very informative thread for me. I am determined to re-purpose and re-invent those older supplies.
So keep sharing the love ladies!
I forgot all about The Paper Company cardstock. You are so right about that awful cardstock. It was like construction paper and I gave it away. I forgot how bad it was and until you posted the comparison. It was horrible in my die cutters. I know why I kept saying Recollections. I was making my Michael's shopping list before I posted, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 05:42 AM   #23  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I have seen a lot of excellent tips that should get awards over here. This one deserves an Oscar. Thank you so much for sharing. I wrap cardstock around my creations but never thought about using a crimper. That is just brilliant!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 01:04 PM   #24  
Kookie Creator

Quote:

I love your idea of running it through the crimper. Never thought of it myself. I
usually use a piece of light weight cardboard. Not anymore though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

That is an excellent idea! I usually just cut a piece to protect my card. I never thought to use my crimper! Thanks for this tip!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #26  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by JubleView Post
That is an excellent idea! I usually just cut a piece to protect my card. I never thought to use my crimper! Thanks for this tip!
I don't have a crimper, so I use my Bug to make pretty designs. I sent embossed money to my demo once to pay for a catalog and she still tells people about that!

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #27  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm with all the posters who said layers and punches. I like a nice heavy cardstock for bases, but the thinner stuff really does work better in punches, and for layers. And I have a set of the Nellie Snellen flower punches & embossers- those work wonderfully with thinner cardstock. I often make my own "Primas" using scraps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-07-2012, 11:23 AM   #28  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by juttaView Post
I don't have a crimper, so I use my Bug to make pretty designs. I sent embossed money to my demo once to pay for a catalog and she still tells people about that!

Jutta
Too cute! So you make pretty money! I bet she really did get a kick out of that. Its also a great idea for the extra card piece
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-08-2012, 05:45 AM   #29  
Polyshrink Goddess

I like to use my walmart cardstock to "test out" my stamps, to determine how much pressure to use, etc. Or just to try them out to see how pretty they look if I don't have a project in mind yet!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 10-09-2012, 05:57 AM   #30  
Kookie Creator

I use my thinner, "crappier" cardstock (and ugly DP) to do prototypes of projects. That way, I can test them out first before I cut into my good stuff and find out that it needs some tweaking, or is an outright disaster.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #31  
Stampin' Fool

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts
Default With Spellbinders

I was having trouble getting the paper out of a detailed Spellbinders loopy die after cutting, so I emailed to them. They recommended thinner cardstock (yay!) and wax paper between metal and cardstock. It worked great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

You ladies have all shared so many wonderful suggestions and I really do appreciate it. One thing I have found I can use the cheaper smaller pieces I have (i have several packs of the 4.5 x 6.5 Michaels brand that I used for matting photos when I was scrapping a lot) is for shims when I am trying to cut out a really detailed die like from Cheery Lynn Designs. My Cuttlebug plates are old and warped and I probably should replace them:rolleyes: but I found by adding layers of cardstock I can still get the right amount of pressure and usually when I pull apart the sandwhich the detailed die cut is on the paper shim and I can just peel it off of there and all the little pieces are stuck to the cheaper paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #33  
Insane Embellisher

i just have to purge every so often. things i am pretty sure i will never use again. i just gave tons and tons of stickers to a young friend who is also a new teacher. she can use them for papers or just let the kids paw thru them and use them for self guided crafts this winter when outdoor recess isnt possible. we also have a local homeless shelter that has an art room and they are so grateful for anything. fabric, patterns, books go to the goodwill. those items can be cost prohibitive for some and that way someone gets to indulge themselves in a hobby they might otherwise not be able to. even still i keep too much. i have a dozen of those scissors that cut a decorative edge. i have never cut anything with them that didnt look like it was cut by a 2nd grader with motor skill issues. i really should see if sunday school would like them along with all those stamp blocks....
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:12 AM   #34  
Cardstock Collector

I'm currently using up all my blue, white and silver paper scraps and cheap CS by punching different sized snowflakes out of it to use on my Christmas cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 04:22 PM   #35  
Hardware Hotshot

I had a ton of the flimsy card stock several years ago. I gave a bunch to my neighbor and the rest to my kids teachers.. they loved it.

~ Pam

--English writer G. K. Chesterton (1874-1936)

~*BLOG*~
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #36  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I have made a "top" for a white and kraft colored gift bags by measuring the width of the bag, cutting the cardstock the same width, and then folding the card stock in half. I stamp and decorate both sides. Then I make a slit in the fold to side over the handles of the bag. This would work for the thinner card stock as well. At SU Lansing Regional, one of the demonstrators made a matching card, cut the top of a clear envi off, then attached the card inside the clear envi to the front of the gift bag. They looked awesome. Also, teachers really love getting colored papers donated for their classes. Happy Stampin
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-30-2012, 08:08 PM   #37  
Insane Embellisher

I have a chemo pt. that I send a card to every week. I cut a piece of cheap stock and put it inside to write my letter to her, so that she cah re-write in the card if she wants to reuse it. I explain it at first, but she has let me know she loves it. There are also some tutorials for tri-fold cards (using two layers) that work better with cheap cardstock.
Leah
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 05:03 AM   #38  
Insane Embellisher

what a good idea. i am going to use it. i may take it a step further and use the double envelope system like they do wedding invitations and then the recipient also has an envie. ---arent we brilliant?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #39  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprtchickView Post
Another vote for layering. I love these lighter weight papers for layering. I have lots and lots of them...lol.
blessings.
I too, use the lighter cardstock to layer, both inside and outside. It really helps keep the weight of the card down, so therefore, helps to keep the cost of postage down as well.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 05:39 PM   #40  
Compulsive Stamper

I found an interesting way to use lighter weight cardstock. Check this out at the operation write home website. Tutorial � Light Weight Cardstock | Operation Write Home They suggest cutting a card base that is one layer of heavier cardstock and using the light weight cut a little smaller, folded in half and adhered onto the heavier stuff. They then decorate the front and you open the card normally to write on the inside. They also have a tutorial that explains how to read the package/paper weight to see what you truly are buying. I also use it for layering, and lining insides of darker cards.
Reply With Quote Likes