Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-20-2013, 03:36 PM   #1  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate
Default Ask Beate - Conditioning clear stamps

I received a great suggestion from Jill that I wanted to share:

Quote:

Hi Beate - re Sue's question on conditioning acrylic stamps (I couldn't find relevant area in Forum) : I learned from Tim Holtz the technique of inking up the stamp with Archival ink, wiping/stamping off the ink BUT NOT cleaning it, then inking with whichever ink you intend to use. This works brilliantly, particularly for water/dye based inks. The other tip for a crisp image is to not press too hard due to the softer nature of acrylic stamps. Could you please post this to the relevant area?

my gallery - my blog
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 08:08 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I found this one out by accident myself a couple years ago too (great minds think a like - me and Tim :lol: :lol: :lol I was doing some embossing and forgot a stamp on my desk with Versa Mark on it and after that it worked even better to get a clean image. It sure takes having to have the technique just perfect to work with those clear stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #3  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

How do you wipe off the ink without cleaning the stamp? I am a bit confused?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
You don't. The Versa Mark is clear so it doesn't interfere with you stamp, but it does leave a film that other inks can cling to better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #5  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

wiping/stamping off the ink BUT NOT cleaning it,
I think the wiping bit is without cleaning products, just a quick wipe with some paper towel for example. Stamping off is probably easier on a scrap piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-22-2013, 02:52 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sf9erfanView Post
You can ink up your stamp and just keep stamping on a scrap paper over and over until there is no ink left on your stamp.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 07:04 AM   #7  
Rubber Obsessor

Is it me or is any one else confused about what's being discussed? Is this a better technique for stamping with acrylics? Why would I need TH Archival Ink to do this?

Beate, could you give us some background other than the quote, please, and perhaps a step-by-step.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 08:29 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I like all stamps. Acrylic and rubber. For some acrylic stamps a conditioning is needed so that stamp takes on ink better. The conditioning method discussed here is simple. Take your clear stamp and ink it up with any Archival brand ink you have. I have several Archival Ink colors, but I usually use Archival Black for this purpose. Once it is inked up, stamp it on scrap paper. I have used printer paper I collect that has little to zero printing on it for my scrap paper. Stamp and then stamp-off the image until you see nothing when you stamp. Don't clean the stamp with a liquid cleaner or the scrub pad this time. Now ink up the clear stamp with your desired color ink of choice. Stamp lightly but firmly on your desired card stock. The image and color of ink should come out crisp and clean. Now you can clean the ink off with a slightly damp cloth or scrub pad.
For some reason that Archival Ink conditions the stamp to take on other inks well.
Remember that clear stamps may stain especially after using black Archival Ink, BUT it does not affect the ability to stamp with other colors after this! Tim states this in his method, and he is perfectly O.K. with it and expects it to stain the stamps. It just does not affect the ability of the stamp to take on other inks after this!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 09:46 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

OK, I was totally in lala land when I read the original post. What I am doing is using Versa Mark and just leaving it on my stamp to dry (since I forgot my stamp out and that's what happened). Works great on the acrylic stamps so they take dye ink better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-23-2013, 03:10 PM   #10  
Crimping Master

You don't need to use archival ink. I learned this technique when I was a CTMH consultant when they first came out with their acrylic stamps. I just used regular CTMH ink and it worked just fine.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:45 AM   #11  
Rubber Obsessor

Jill, Thanks for your detailed explanation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-24-2013, 09:10 AM   #12  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks! I get it now :-)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jill with a GView Post
I like all stamps. Acrylic and rubber. For some acrylic stamps a conditioning is needed so that stamp takes on ink better. The conditioning method discussed here is simple. Take your clear stamp and ink it up with any Archival brand ink you have. I have several Archival Ink colors, but I usually use Archival Black for this purpose. Once it is inked up, stamp it on scrap paper. I have used printer paper I collect that has little to zero printing on it for my scrap paper. Stamp and then stamp-off the image until you see nothing when you stamp. Don't clean the stamp with a liquid cleaner or the scrub pad this time. Now ink up the clear stamp with your desired color ink of choice. Stamp lightly but firmly on your desired card stock. The image and color of ink should come out crisp and clean. Now you can clean the ink off with a slightly damp cloth or scrub pad.
For some reason that Archival Ink conditions the stamp to take on other inks well.
Remember that clear stamps may stain especially after using black Archival Ink, BUT it does not affect the ability to stamp with other colors after this! Tim states this in his method, and he is perfectly O.K. with it and expects it to stain the stamps. It just does not affect the ability of the stamp to take on other inks after this!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 12:34 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Beate

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kathlyn47View Post
Is it me or is any one else confused about what's being discussed? Is this a better technique for stamping with acrylics? Why would I need TH Archival Ink to do this?

Beate, could you give us some background other than the quote, please, and perhaps a step-by-step.
Kathlyn, last week's "Ask Beate" question in the newsletter was:

Quote:

I have a difficult time getting a sharp image with cling (clear) stamps. Is there something I can do to condition them to receive the ink better?

my gallery - my blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-25-2013, 05:55 AM   #14  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I've taken a few classes with Tim and he rarely "cleans" his stamps. At first I thought OMG, but I've learned that the ink protects the stamp from drying out. I just stamp off and put the stamp away. When I get ready to use it, then I give it a cleaning to make sure the previous ink doesn't rub off on the pad. I've found that some of my dirtiest stamps give the best image.

Tim explained that the stamps are tools, meant to have ink and get dirty. The whole idea of clean stamps made him laugh.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-26-2013, 01:08 AM   #15  
Gallery Gazer

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I don't have Archival Black ink but I do have trouble getting clear and crisp images with clear/acrylic stamps. I use 2 different black inks depending on what colouring method I am using: Memento Tuxedo black for when I am using OMS/Gamsol and Prisma pencils - and Versafine Onyx black for when I using watercolour pencils because it is waterproof. Would inking my image with Archival black ink before I put my other black ink work for both colouring methods, ie: is my image likely to smear if I added water or OMS to it? Or does the Archival Black ink not smear no matter what type of colouring method you use? :confused:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 04:20 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

I have even used Stazon ink to "stain" my acrylic stamps. I just ink it and stamp off and repeat a few times. The permanent ink layer really helps with the impression after that.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:25 AM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
I've taken a few classes with Tim and he rarely "cleans" his stamps. At first I thought OMG, but I've learned that the ink protects the stamp from drying out. I just stamp off and put the stamp away. When I get ready to use it, then I give it a cleaning to make sure the previous ink doesn't rub off on the pad. I've found that some of my dirtiest stamps give the best image.

Tim explained that the stamps are tools, meant to have ink and get dirty. The whole idea of clean stamps made him laugh.
except the ink could clog up the detail of the stamp meaning it won't give a good impression.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 05:44 AM   #18  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to philsmom

I wash my clear stamps before I use them the first time. I have also mounted them on cling cushion when I can't get an even impression. (Usually with sentiments) Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

The photopolymer stamps hold ink better than acrylics in my experience. They are a bit more expensive, but worth it to avoid frustration. Ink types/brands vary in how they cling to clear stamps, too.

I also condition my stamps when I first get them- I use the white Staedtler plastic eraser on them, wash with dish soap to remove the eraser bits, and let dry. I sometimes use one of the thick emery boards on acrylic stamps, very lightly, if they don't take ink well.

I too have found that if I ink up a stamp, stamp off, then ink again (with whatever ink I am using both times, no special inks), I get a really good impression. The stamping off also helps you to see how much pressure you need to use to get a good impression on your nice paper, as it varies with the density of the stamp and brand, and the ink and even how juicy the inkpad is. Additionally, I use a graph paper spiral notebook under my nice paper for stamping- it gives a bit of cushion plus the graph paper helps with alignment of stamps. Just turn the page when it is full or if the ink is wet. The graph paper under is great for glueing too, but I remove the page if it has glue on it so there aren't bumps under where I am stamping later.

HTH
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 AM   #20  
Cardstock Collector

I am a Close to My Heart Consultant, and I learned from another consultant to rub a stamp (especially the solid ones) on the inside of your arm before you stamp. Takes the 'shine' off the stamp, and it works like a charm! I know lots of consultants that do the conditioning described above, that can work too. Sometimes I do both
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #21  
Matboard Maniac

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelladcrockettView Post
I have even used Stazon ink to "stain" my acrylic stamps. I just ink it and stamp off and repeat a few times. The permanent ink layer really helps with the impression after that.
At one time I heard never to use Staz On on clear stamps as the solvent can eat the stamp. Perhaps that was the acrylic and not the polymer? Since I heard that though, I never use Stazon with my clear stamps. Better safe than sorry.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 06:02 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Try using a rough rubbery eraser to rub across the stamp - both horizontally, then vertically. This basically removes any oils or coating from the manufacturing process and allows the stamp to accept the ink better.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:36 AM   #23  
lbl
Glitter Queen

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
At one time I heard never to use Staz On on clear stamps as the solvent can eat the stamp. Perhaps that was the acrylic and not the polymer? Since I heard that though, I never use Stazon with my clear stamps. Better safe than sorry.
I have used Stazon many times with clear stamps and no problem. I think the Stazon cleaner is the real problem so I don't use it on clear stamps. After using Stazon with a clear stamp, I clean the stamp with a baby wipe and then swish them in water with a drop of dish detergent and then in clear water. No signs of damage.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #24  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by BettyView Post
I use very few clear stamps, so I could be wrong about this - but I'm pretty sure that the problem is with the Staz-On Cleaner, and that it damages the clear blocks. I know that as a user of cling rubber stamps, I was warned to not get the cleaner on the clear blocks because it would cause crazing (microscopic cracks). I use a cleaner called EZ Duz It from my lss that removes every kind of ink - even what appeared to be dried-on acrylic paint.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 PM   #25  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

I've been using Stazon Clearner on my clear stamps. Had no idea it could damage them. Will just use water from now on.
Mary ~~ QFTD #152, FS#514CC Guest Design Team 2012, 2013, 2017 & 2022 2014 CAS Spring Design Team Member SC Guest Design Team 2015 & 2022 SU Consultant "Life's greatest adventure is finding your place in the Circle of Life" - Lion King
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #26  
Glitter Queen

I've taken several classes from Clear & Simple Stamps. They - and Stephanie Barnard - have us "erase" the stamps before we use them the way timetrvlr (Glitter Queen) suggested. I also use the small foam pads recommended by CTMH when I'm not getting the images I want. But Stamps of Life and CSS both have really clean, crisp images. (IMHO)
Reply With Quote Likes