View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 11:24 AM   #4105
muscrat
Proud Fan Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamping Servant View Post
Kathy, I'm continuing to pray for you and I'd like to share some thoughts with you. I'm so glad that you are praising Him even in your storm. Your remark reminded me of Philippians 4:6 & 7.

"Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be known unto God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6 & 7

To me, it seems that this scripture passage speaks of the cure for anxiety .... and I think one of the most important phrases in that passage is "with thanksgiving". When we take all our prayer requests to Him and then offer our thanksgiving even before we see the answers to those prayers, I believe that is a wonderful faith builder for us and I believe that our praises and thanksgiving please the Lord very much.

Do you remember a Lipton Tea TV commercial from some years back? It featured a woman who was drinking a glass of iced tea and the tea relaxed and refreshed her so much that she felt as though she had just fallen backwards into a big swimming pool of water?

I hope you remember that commercial, so you have a mental picture of what I'm trying to say. The picture of that "relaxed" woman falling backwards into the water has stayed with me .... I think it's a perfect illustration of what God wants us to do. He wants us to just be SO sure of His love for us and SO sure that He always has our best welfare in mind, that we can just fall right back into His arms allowing Him to control all circumstances in our lives.

I heard a Christian speaker talk about the anxiety that had plagued her for a long time. I learned a lot from what she shared that day. She was constantly worrying about past troubles and also worrying about the troubles that might possibly come her way. She said that the following verse helped her put that anxiety behind her because she realized that she should be filling her mind with things that are actually true at this present time.

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy - meditate on these things." Philippians 4:8

This woman said that when doubts, fears and other negative thoughts came to her mind, she would immediately begin meditating on the truths found in the Bible ..... especially the awesome characteristics of the Lord such as His faithfulness, compassion, righteousness, etc. She began developing the habit of filling her thoughts with these holy and pure truths and she eventually overcame the stress and anxiety that had plagued her for so long.

I hope what I'm sharing may be of some help to you, Kathy.

Blessings, Rita
Your words do help Rita. I know those verses well. I guess I need to prepare ahead so I have thoughts to replace the negative thoughts that come because when they come now, my mind goes blank and I can't think of anything else! Preparation may be key for me here. Thanks.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!