Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 PM   #1  
Mad Swapper

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EZ Magnetic Storage Binder

I think I have finally decided this is what I want to use for my Nestabilities storage - the Crafter's Companion EZ Binder with the magnetic panels. I really like the idea of a binder. I have looked at the Art Bin storage panels and even though its the same idea I don't like that the panels are loose. I want to be able to flip through the binder.

My question for those that have this storage system is about whether the 8.5 x 11 size holds the dies securely. I am still deciding if I should get the mini size or the full size binder. I read one review about the 8.5 x 11 size and she said that when she flips through the panels in the binder some of the dies will come off. I have not read about this happening with the mini size though.

I think I would prefer the larger size as I have seen pictures and quite a few sets fit on one page. I want to be able to put my circles with the matching scallops, squares with the matching scallops, etc. I like the idea of having them all together.

So, if anyone has the full size panels what is your experience with them? Does the magnetic panel hold the dies securely or would the mini size be better?

My Gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:16 AM   #2  
Forum Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have advice but what I've always wondered was what about the weight. It seems to me the binders would get heavy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #3  
Mad Swapper

Yes, I imagine they would be heavy after loading them up with all the dies. But, I have found as I get older my memory is fading... (yes, the joys of aging!). I know which dies I have but I do like to be able to see them grouped together which is why I want to change my storage method. I have them in CD cases in a photo box. They sit on the shelf and I find I don't use them as often as I would like because they are not visible. I would love to be able to just grab the binder and flip through it. Even if I don't load the binders to capacity to help reduce the weight. I could have a few binders instead of loading them all into 1 or 2.

I would just like to make sure the full size magnetic panels will hold the nesties in place without falling off if you try and remove one or if you flip the pages.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #4  
Forum Fanatic

I know what you mean about aging ;) and being able to see them. I opted to use something I saw on a website. It's an acrrylic picture frame with dividers I made. I have 60 sets and have room for about 75 sets in an 8x10 frame.

I bought 4x6 magnetic sheets that I attached to thin chipboard. I attach the name from the die package to the back of the chipboard.

The frame sits next to my BS so it's easy for to use but it's heavy. So far I like it and once in awhile a die may fall off but the it just falls to the tray.

I'm using the same system for my embossing folders.
Attached Thumbnails
EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-card-photos-june-2012-013.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 07:10 AM   #5  
Mad Swapper

I did look at an idea like yours. I kind of like the tabbed idea as well but I can't have things sitting out on my table in an open box. We have 3 cats and the cat hair gets everywhere. There is window right above my craft table and they like to sit there to look outside. The less I have out the better. I have a closet right beside my stamp table with a bookshelf in it. Binders would be easily accessible yet hidden away. I am a SU demo and I like to keep my non-SU stuff accessible yet put away.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:02 AM   #6  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
I did look at an idea like yours. I kind of like the tabbed idea as well but I can't have things sitting out on my table in an open box. We have 3 cats and the cat hair gets everywhere. There is window right above my craft table and they like to sit there to look outside. The less I have out the better. I have a closet right beside my stamp table with a bookshelf in it. Binders would be easily accessible yet hidden away. I am a SU demo and I like to keep my non-SU stuff accessible yet put away.
Ah... cats, that makes sense. I'm also a demo but I have so much non-SU that I could never hide it ;)

What about the Unikeep binder boxes? I use them for my unmounted stamps. If a die fell off the magnet it would still be in the box.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 08:16 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I just ordered the Crafters Companion EZ Magnetic Die Storage System in the large size two days ago. I will let let you know what I think when they arrive. I read the same review you did about the dies falling when the page was turned, but on the video I watched on Companion Crafters website they seemed very secure.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:21 PM   #8  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I was looking at the Taylored Expressions die and stamp enclosed binder systems and they look very nice.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #9  
Polyshrink Goddess

The Taylored Expressions system looks like the same one at crafters companion. I was going to order from TE since I was also getting some dies, but I really wanted the larger size so I went with Crafters Companion instead.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have both the big one and small one. Pluses to both. I did notice with the big one you have to support the page as you flip it or the dies will start to pop off. No big deal but you just can't flip it quickly. I use the big one for most of what I have and then a small one has my amazing paper grace dies and stamp sets in it. Another small one has Christmas ornament dies and stamp set as well. I am thinking about doing another small one for my smaller dies like my fav things, etc. I like them both but the big one really has some weight to it now that it is loaded up.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-20-2013, 10:04 PM   #11  
Stampin' Fool

It's very similar to one I bought and like a lot, the ArtBin Magnetic Die Storage Case. You can add sheets to it, and they easily come out without messing with the rings. The case locks shut, and you've got them all nicely inside. For me it works beautifully.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-21-2013, 09:18 PM   #12  
Compulsive Stamper

I made my own... way cheaper and no need to buy expensive refills. And works well.
I first took heavy card stock and also layered my package from the die on it. Laminated it to had strength. Then took magnetic photo paper u can get at Walmart stuck to my sheet punched holes and put in binder.. wa la .. done. And the dies stick well. I even do dies on both sides of page.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 05:40 AM   #13  
Rubber Obsessor

I have been lurking on this thread and I ordered the magnetic sheets from Taylored Expressions to fit in my mini binder boxes from Unikeep. I was able to condense my die collection from 2 large bins into 3 binder boxes. The sheets are strongly magnetized and I love having them in a smaller space. I previously had them stored in DVD and CD cases with magnetic sheeting.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who brought these to my attention!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 06:56 AM   #14  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Another economical way to go is to get the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders and page protectors from any office supply store and magnetic vent covers from the hardware store and cut the vent covers into thirds (they are 8" x 15", so you can get three panels from one cover, and there are three covers in a package). The smaller size of the binder limits the weight, and I've found that the panels hold quite a bit. I have my hearts and my scalloped hearts on the same page, for example.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 01:20 PM   #15  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
Wow you have just described my situation only I have 6 cats including one, that will eat anything,and 2 plastic lovers. I have to have hidden storage as well I just ordered sheets for a binder for stamps and flat dies. I am one of those if I don't see I forget to use it :(
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the mini binder and love it. Plan on getting more to store the rest of my dies. I have arthritis and felt the large binder might be too hard for me to handle but the mini binder is easy for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #17  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got the Crafters Companion Mini Binder and some extra panels specifically because I had to get my Nesties out of their original packaging and set up in a better way. I took a chance, because I am really not a binder person and my whole storage system is set up for bins. It's a work in progress at this point but my initial reaction was that the panels are great - much better magnetic strength than the chipboard and magnetic adhesive sheets I have been using for my non-Nestie dies. The binder is very nice if you like a binder, but as I kind of suspected, I don't really find it convenient for the way I work. Which is okay, because the panels themselves seem rigid enough to stand in a bin. So I did sort of what stamphappy did - I put my Nesties on the panels and put them in the bin. I didn't like them just sitting there uncovered, though, so I took some heavyweight page protectors, cut them slightly wider than the panels, slid the panels in (so they are open at the sides) and then stood those in my bin:

EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-nestiestoragebin.jpg

EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-nestiestorage.jpg

I'm not sure this is where I will end up. I'm hoping the panels will stay rigid enough and not start to bend. I might put some light chipboard in the page protectors to make them stiffer. Or find a plastic pouch of some kind. I want to switch all my dies to these panels ultimately - like I said, really nice magnetic quality - but not until I perfect the system.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-23-2013 at 07:05 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #18  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
I just got the Crafters Companion Mini Binder and some extra panels specifically because I had to get my Nesties out of their original packaging and set up in a better way. I took a chance, because I am really not a binder person and my whole storage system is set up for bins. It's a work in progress at this point but my initial reaction was that the panels are great - much better magnetic strength than the chipboard and magnetic adhesive sheets I have been using for my non-Nestie dies. The binder is very nice if you like a binder, but as I kind of suspected, I don't really find it convenient for the way I work. Which is okay, because the panels themselves seem rigid enough to stand in a bin. So I did sort of what stamphappy did - I put my Nesties on the panels and put them in the bin. I didn't like them just sitting there uncovered, though, so I took some heavyweight page protectors, cut them slightly wider than the panels, slid the panels in (so they are open at the sides) and then stood those in my bin:

Attachment 270928

Attachment 270929

I'm not sure this is where I will end up. I'm hoping the panels will stay rigid enough and not start to bend. I might put some light chipboard in the page protectors to make them stiffer. Or find a plastic pouch of some kind. I want to switch all my dies to these panels ultimately - like I said, really nice magnetic quality - but not until I perfect the system.
Love this idea! I like my binders,but I'm running out of room and need to order more. I may try the same thing with mine in the mean time. Thanks for the clever idea!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #19  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Being on the Spellbinders team, I have quite a few sets of dies and am always searching for storage solutions. I have done just about everything and the main thing I find wrong is the magnets aren't strong enough to hold the dies when I turn the page and/or flip through them. Then I find misc small dies at the bottom of my basket. Grrrr.

Here are some photos of what I have done for my Grand Format sets. This is the large binder (I got them from Univenture) and adhesive backed magnets. As I got more and more dies, I ran out of magnets. I started out with big pieces, then strips and eventually I slipped them into page protectors with a glue dot at the top to keep closed. Some have mentioned this binder can get heavy and it IS. I have mine stuffed to the gills, barely closing and it is very heavy.

I have more pictures on this blog post:
http://stopandstamptheroses.blogspot...anization
Attached Thumbnails
EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization-2.jpg   EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization-3.jpg   EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization-4.jpg  

Last edited by sf9erfan; 03-24-2013 at 11:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #20  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Binders can be bulky, so I decided to try to utilize the packaging the dies came in (photo 1). And then for the dies I already tossed the packaging, I cut some chipboard (cereal boxes, etc) and adhered the magnets on that.
I stored them all in baskets I got from the Dollar Tree. I fit WAY MORE dies in this small basket than I do in several binders. Here's the rub, I bought a ton of magnetic sheets from Oriental Trading Co and they are too thin and don't hold the dies well. They fall off and end up in the bottom of my basket! Sigh, nothing's perfect.

I have more pictures on this blog post:
http://stopandstamptheroses.blogspot...anization
Attached Thumbnails
EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization_1311.jpg   EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization-6.jpg   EZ Magnetic Storage Binder-spellbinder-organization-9.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:20 AM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Michelle, what are those dies in the third picture in your first post? The leaves and flowers? What are they called? I'm just starting to build my die collection.

Also (how really serendipitous that you posted here!) I was just looking on the Spellbinders website at the Media Mixage dies. I am not interested in doing metal work or using the bezels. But am wondering if the dies would work with card stock in a Big Shot. A few of them looked very interesting.

BTW, I had the same problem with those adhesive sheets from Oriental Traders. I put them on chipboard sheets and the Nesties were always popping off. I'm in the midst of revamping my storage at this point. I'm trying a few things, and hope one of my ideas will work. But it won't be binders. Binders just don't work well for me.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 03-24-2013 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:32 AM   #22  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

see below in red
Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Michelle, what are those dies in the third picture in your first post? The leaves and flowers? What are they called? I'm just starting to build my die collection. They are called Grand Peony Creations and are amazing. My 2 favorite flower die sets are Bitty Blossoms and Rose Creations -I reach for those 2 on about 1/2 of my projects!!.

Also (how really serendipitous that you posted here!) I was just looking on the Spellbinders website at the Media Mixage dies. I am not interested in doing metal work or using the bezels. But am wondering if the dies would work with card stock in a Big Shot. A few of them looked very interesting. Absolutely, those dies are just like the regular dies in every way. They are in the Mixed Mixage category because they coordinate with the bezel shapes, but they are same dies.

BTW, I had the same problem with those adhesive sheets from Oriental Traders. I put them on chipboard sheets and the Nesties were always popping off. I'm in the midst of revamping my storage at this point. I'm trying a few things, and hope one of my ideas will work. But it won't be binders. Binders just don't work well for me. I like my basket option along with the CDs for my basic shapes and Labels. I never seem to get over to my binder and forget about it. I love the openness and accessibility of the basket. It's just not pretty!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-24-2013, 12:53 PM   #23  
Glitter Guru

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #24  
Cardstock Collector

Post 5 1/2 x 8 1/2 binder ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregzgurlView Post
Another economical way to go is to get the 5 1/2" x 8 1/2" binders and page protectors from any office supply store and magnetic vent covers from the hardware store and cut the vent covers into thirds (they are 8" x 15", so you can get three panels from one cover, and there are three covers in a package). The smaller size of the binder limits the weight, and I've found that the panels hold quite a bit. I have my hearts and my scalloped hearts on the same page, for example.
I like the thought of this idea because I have all the images of my stamps stamped into 2 binders this size. I love having my binders and they don't bother me at all. Are the page protectors strong enough with the magnet and framelits? And do you put them on each side of the magnet or do you slide two sheets of the magnet in the same sleeve so you can have framelits on both sides or what?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #25  
Mad Swapper

I have also tried a few different ways of storing my spellbinders & other thin dies! I didn't think that I would like them in a binder due to the weight but that is exactly where they are!!! One of the gals on here awhile back showed how she was storing hers. I ordered the magnetic pocket pages from "Cropstop.com" The magnetic pieces are like an industrial kind, very strong. I am pleased with this and don't see myself changing this storage system. I also like that I can flip through each page to see what I have and not once has any of my dies moved!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 10:36 AM   #26  
Mad Swapper

I did end up getting the EZ Magnetic Storage binders. 2 Large for my Spellbinders and 3 small for my Memory Box, IO & MFT dies. I have the dies in the small binders grouped together in categories of floral, trees, fences, windows, etc. Different company dies all mixed together.

So far I'm happy with it. The binders are stored on a bookshelf in my closed and I can easily take them out. The only thing I would like to do is make a list of which dies are in which binder. One day when I'm bored I may cut out one of each die and make a more detailed listing of what is in there. I like to see what they look like IRL and usually cut one out when I first get it anyway.

I do find I am using them more now that they are somewhat organized. Whichever way you choose to store you dies I think having them accessible is the key.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 01:57 PM   #27  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I now have all my dies except Nesties and MFT Stax's in the EZ mini binders. I have them sorted by: Christmas - 2 binders; Holidays; Florals; Borders; Tags, Labels & Frames; Garden [butterflies, leaves, grass, etc]; and Misc. I love keeping them this way and use them much more now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 03-30-2014, 06:03 PM   #28  
Matboard Maniac

Default Ikea makes a tote like Art BIN nestie holder

I picked up two of them for 50 cents at a thrift store and a couple months later a light bulb went on and now one of them is holding all my spellbinders dies. I already had each set on a magnetic sheet (our HyVee stores carried camouflage magnetic sheets to use in school lockers, I found them on clearance at Hyvee for $1 a roll, bought all they had) so had cut a square for each set and had them mounted on that and had each set in one of the nice plastic envelopes the Sizzix embossing folders came in. Recycled those.
So all I had to do was pop all of them in the Ikea tote.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-14-2014, 09:06 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

I was searching for a way to organize my framelits etc on magnetic sheets. Couldn't find anything good until I saw a DVD case with a magnetic sheet stuck to one side. it's perfect! I immediately ordered it. I will let you all know how it work when they get here. In the meantime.....here is the link on Amazon....

Amazon.com: Super Jewel Box Crafter's Case + Magnetic Sheet Combo Pack - 20 Pack: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-16-2014, 11:24 AM   #30  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by btalemView Post
I was searching for a way to organize my framelits etc on magnetic sheets. Couldn't find anything good until I saw a DVD case with a magnetic sheet stuck to one side. it's perfect! I immediately ordered it. I will let you all know how it work when they get here. In the meantime.....here is the link on Amazon....

Amazon.com: Super Jewel Box Crafter's Case + Magnetic Sheet Combo Pack - 20 Pack: Arts, Crafts & Sewing
I just ordered a bunch of these 2 weeks ago. They work great. I keep my clear stamps on one side of the case and the matching dies on the other on the magnetic sheet. I am feeling very organized! The only thing is they are fragile and not very wide so you can't fit too much inside like you can the SU! more opaque style plastic dvd cases. (I ordered some of those as well). One of the gem cases got a hair line crack during shipping.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 04-17-2014, 06:17 PM   #31  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michellena317View Post
I just ordered a bunch of these 2 weeks ago. They work great. I keep my clear stamps on one side of the case and the matching dies on the other on the magnetic sheet. I am feeling very organized! The only thing is they are fragile and not very wide so you can't fit too much inside like you can the SU! more opaque style plastic dvd cases. (I ordered some of those as well). One of the gem cases got a hair line crack during shipping.

Got them in the mail! LOVE THEM. What a cool storage idea! Room for stamps and dies all in one neat little DVD case.
Reply With Quote Likes