View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #16
JoBear2
Glitter Guru

Great thread! Isn't it interesting to read everyone's background? I grew up thinking I wasn't the least bit artistic (I didn't do very well with art at school) and from age 18 had my own racing car and rally car and competed in races and rallies all over the state in which I now live. When I turned 30 (that is 20 years ago now) and then married with a mortgage, the engine in my racing car broke and I couldn't afford to fix it; my racing days were over. Shortly after, my husband and I were window-shopping one weekend and I noticed in a shop window of an Art Store a suitcase with an adorable teddy bear painted on it and the shop was offering painting lessons to paint teddy bears - it was called folk art here in Australia at the time (these days it is called decorative painting) but you call it tole painting in the USA. So, on a whim, I signed up with the teacher and had 6 lessons - which led to more lessons with various teachers over about 10 years and LOVED it! I moved on from there to doing cross-stitch as well as painting fabric and embroidery and doing stitcheries (you can see my painted teddy bear stitcheries on my blog - just look for the label 'stitcheries' on the LHS bar) and went to lots of crafts shows and 'collected' materials and embroidery supplies.

At one of those shows, I chanced upon a cardmaking demonstration of heat embossing and the lady stamped a sentiment and poured on gold embossing powder and heated it - and I went "WOW!" and bought a few supplies to make some Christmas cards. Soon after, I started buying some UK cardmaking magazines which usually came with freebie stamps, ribbons or a pad of papers and was really inspired by what I saw and suddenly around my area, Scrapbooking/Cardmaking stores sprung up everywhere (sadly, most are now closed). I think I almost lived at those stores LOL! In 2007, I was really sick and cardmaking kept my mind busy and helped ease the pain and it was really then that cardmaking took hold. In Sept 2008, I chanced upon my first cardmaking blog - Danielle Lounds 'Fat Cat Stamper' and then found Splitcoaststampers via link on her blog - and oh, I just love my cardmaking so much! It has helped me through the ups and downs of life and illness and I have friends from all over the world - and I feel so incredibly blessed Having painting lessons all those years ago has helped me with colouring my stamped images. So glad I signed up for those lessons on a whim........

My Gallery My Blog

Sometimes the smallest things take the most room in your heart - Piglet
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!