View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
dfmorgan
Polyshrink Goddess

When I lived on OR (a long time ago), a local store gave our youth director a wood pumpkin plaque as a piece for a silent auction to raise $ for the youth group. I won it and wanted to see what other cute things they had at this store. I became a regular customer and over time this store became a stamp store. I stopped going in because I just couldn't imagine why anyone would stamp and color in little pictures--to make cards, yet!
So, a few years later one of the CTMH demos offered to do a stamping class at the Women's Retreat on the OR coast. I went, sat down to stamp--feeling obligated--and was hooked.
This dear lady would open her house and studio for her friends and their friends to come in to use her stamps, paper, ink, tools and for $7 we could make as many cards as we could get done in a few hours-and SHE INCLUDED THE ENVELOPES! I was SOOOOOO impressed with her set up and willingness to teach people how to stamp with her stuff that when I moved away to another state, I bought "a million $" worth of CTMH product from her to set up shop in my home to do for my new friends the same thing she did.
That evolved into wanting to learn all I could about new techniques, joining stamp clubs, taking any classes I could from local stamp stores, going to conventions all over the US, etc. Finally, because I'm a teacher at heart, I just started offering classes in my home, which led to teaching at conventions, and now (in my retirement years) I teach a monthly class at our public library once a month.
I can't believe once upon a time I thought stamping and coloring those little images was so stupid and boring.
I've never been a demo for any company because I love the products of so many different companies that I want to be able to use all kinds of products in my classes. I don't sell anything. I just give people who don't want to spend $$ on their own stamping supplies a chance to make cards (although many of them DO have their own FULLY supplied addiction and come just to learn new techniques and meet up with their friends). All this wonderful fun because a very sweet lady introduced me to a fun activity that became a passion--which is also now fueled by SC stampers from all over the world!
Thank you everyone!! I learn SO much from all of you!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!