Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Cardstock question this time...

What (other than SU) is your favourite brand of cardstock? I've been buying The Paper Company brand packs from Michaels, and it's okay, but certainly not great. Are American Crafts or Bazzill any better? (I wish Bazzill came in more multipacks! I can't afford to buy 25-packs of every colour I need. That alone makes me lean towards the AC.)

What do you ladies think?

TIA!
Pip
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't know about The Paper Company - I haven't seen that brand at my Michaels for a very long time. They do have the Recollections brand now and its very nice - and it cuts beautifully in the electronic cutters. Probably better than any of the other brand of papers so thats why I use quite a bit of it. Plus its a very nice weight for layering (65lb), but I normally wouldn't use it for a card base. I usually use Wausau Exact Index 110# for my card bases and stamping on (inexpensive and good quality). The other paper I use is Bazzill. Its a nice weight (80#) and I like that you can get the different textures if I want something with texture (usually not though). The Recollections also is made to colour coordinate with Bazzill (so the Studio G inks will coordinate as well). I like American Crafts as well, but I don't have a lot of it since I use the other two the most. I do have SU and use that once in a while. I don't buy it anymore just because I think its overpriced for what you get.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:34 PM   #3  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

Michael's Recollections brand packs are much better than The Paper Company packs they used to have. I use the Recollections a lot, especially the white, black and kraft.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-06-2013, 07:35 PM   #4  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Recollections and Bazzill are pretty good if you want to stick to buying something you can find at one of the "big box" craft stores like Michael's or AC Moore.
I will use these for layers or bases for a lightweight card if I like the colors a lot.

I've never used anything but really good white card stock from SU or bought online through Gina K Designs or Papertrey Ink though so I can't speak about the quality of white card stock available at the big box places. Many folks swear buy some white that you can get at Wal-mart. I think it's mentioned in threads about Copic markers. Maybe someone will chime in on this thread. I think it's a Georgia Pacific paper but I'm not sure.

Gina K and Papertrey also have really nice colored card stock and I believe both offer assortment packs as well. I've been hearing a lot about the card stock available at My Favorite Things out here lately but haven't tried it myself. Those are some options if you are open to buying online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 02:47 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Another vote for Gina K. Her cardstock is excellent quality!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 03:51 AM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

I love GinaK's CS!!! I like heavy CS to be able to withstand embellishments and dry embossing. The big box brands seem too flimsy but I don't discount it all together. I just don't use it for card bases. And as cobby indicated they have nice colors.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:01 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I LOVE Papertrey CS & use it all the time, it's my favorite! I also love Gina K. & SU those are the only brands I use.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 04:58 AM   #8  
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator

I have alot of Bazzil Basics but I also have some Pop-Tones 100# and 110# cardsdtock. The colors are super vibrant and the cs is great for card bases.

Gina K Cardstock is wonderful, too! The only problem I see you having is being able to afford the postage costs if you order from a company here in the states!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 457 Likes on 346 Posts

I also vote for Pure Luxury by Gina K Designs. Another advantage is you can buy it in various assortment packs.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 05:51 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I've been able to buy the Bazzill Basics Card Shoppe in packs of 5 at franticstamper.com. I'm sure it's pricier than buying a large pack, but when I only want a few sheets of a colour it's more practical than buying larger packs! I like the weight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 07:16 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

PapertreyInk...it's my favorite
Wplus 9...another good one but not as heavy as PTI
Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved. Acts 4:12
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 08:52 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thank you everyone for your input! It's good to know I don't have to steer away from Recollections if I'm at Michael's (the nearest one is an hour away, so it's not that often). I'll pick some up next time I'm there. Unfortunately, we don't have Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or AC Moore.

Unfortunately the shipping costs from Gina K. and Papertrey are just WAY too high. ($25 to ship an $8 pack of paper?? And $35 at Papertrey.)

At this point in time, I don't make my own card bases, I use the pre-made ones that come with their own envelopes. When I started making cards, I didn't even realize that a lot of people make their own! So I'm not too worried about having a really stiff cardstock for that, since all I do is layer. I'd still like a quality paper that looks good, though, KWIM?

Anyway, I've placed an order with craftersgallery.ca, and I'm going to try the American Crafts paper. (I've also ordered the ATG gun, which I am super excited about!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 AM   #13  
Matboard Maniac

I use 110# white/cream card stock, colors if they have it, that you can buy a Staples or Office Max for my card bases. It is very inexpensive and sold in reams so you have plenty to use for a very long time. I still have a packs of white and cream that I have had for several months (I do not make lots of cards). I even found a gray and bright pink at Big Lots for under $5 that is 120# weight. Not sure it is acid free so if you need paper that will last for many years and not yellow I would not recommend it.

Scentsy: annettetutton.scentsy.us
Grace Adele: annettetutton.graceadele.us
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:24 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

I think as long as you invest on good white/cream cardstock (I like Neenah, papertrey or Ginak) for stamping/coloring you can get by with the cheaper stuff for layering. Joanns has a nice light textured cardstock (cordinations is the brand name) that die cuts well and it goes on sale for $250 a pack of 40 sheets quite often. I agree that the staples cream cardstock is thick enough for card bases and not too expensive. I also use the GP #110 from sams club for card bases (250 sheets for $7!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 04:25 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

I use Woldwin CS and I really like it. I was lucky enough to buy their entire line of colors in their basic paper (25 each of 53 colors). They do have multi-colored packs as well. I'm not sure about their shipping costs though. The shipping prices mentioned for Gina K and Papertrey ink are ridiculous! A flat rate priority shipping box is less than $15 isn't it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #16  
Matboard Maniac

Default Canadian Options

Here's a few other ideas for Canadian shoppers...

Check out Winners craft section. I've bought a few packs of American Crafts paper there at really good prices, and they have multi colors in a pack. I like how this paper cuts with the Cricut.

Another good paper source is Paper Garden Paper Garden | Browse Store I just purchased cardstock from their clearance section (really good prices) and expecting delivery tomorrow. You can purchase a single sheet of some papers, and you can find combo color packs in the "sample" section. They have happily brought in special orders for me, too.

Happy shopping!

Quote:

Originally Posted by pippinmctaggartView Post
Thank you everyone for your input! It's good to know I don't have to steer away from Recollections if I'm at Michael's (the nearest one is an hour away, so it's not that often). I'll pick some up next time I'm there. Unfortunately, we don't have Joann's, Hobby Lobby, or AC Moore.

Unfortunately the shipping costs from Gina K. and Papertrey are just WAY too high. ($25 to ship an $8 pack of paper?? And $35 at Papertrey.)

At this point in time, I don't make my own card bases, I use the pre-made ones that come with their own envelopes. When I started making cards, I didn't even realize that a lot of people make their own! So I'm not too worried about having a really stiff cardstock for that, since all I do is layer. I'd still like a quality paper that looks good, though, KWIM?

Anyway, I've placed an order with craftersgallery.ca, and I'm going to try the American Crafts paper. (I've also ordered the ATG gun, which I am super excited about!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:23 AM   #17  
Cardstock Collector

I suggest finding a local paper company for your basic cardstock needs. For card bases, our local Olmstead-Kirk (OK) paper company carries a variety of cardstock that compare favorably to the quality of SU, Papertrey and others, at a fraction of the price. You can get basic colors (white, ivory, grey) in reams as low as $6! And your local paper company can also order colors for you, often at very reasonable prices. They are a great source for envelopes also - I can get boxes of 250 A2 envelopes for $9.50. If you're fortunate enough to live near a paper company, check them out!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:01 AM   #18  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

I use all SU, but I wish the White and Vanilla were of the same weight as the rest of the colors. That is usually what is used for a card base and it is just not heavy enough. I found Papertrey paper too heavy (starting to sound like Goldilocks), so I use the White and Ivory from Staples. It is still a bit lighter in weight than the normal SU, so I'm on a quest for those two colors in a weight like SU colored card stock. Have used the Recollections from Michael's which is OK.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 05:00 PM   #19  
Compulsive Stamper

Get lots from Gina K but I like SU too.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 PM   #20  
Compulsive Stamper

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I make 100's of cards and I love bazzillbasics. It folds beautifully without cracking. Oh My Crafts has a special on for a multipack, right now.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 08:58 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Something I just found out... You can order items to be delivered to you at a hotel. I live an hour from the US border and often go for the weekend. Next time I go I will order some stuff a couple of weeks before, pick it up at the hotel, and save on shipping. Not sure how close you are to the States but something to keep in mind.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:28 AM   #22  
Matboard Maniac

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love tha Malmero Perle White 92# from the Paper-Papers Co. Love the hint of sparkle that dresses up any card. Great for card base and to print digitals. Also works great with copics. I also use their color packs in the Sparkles. All the primary colors are so rich and vibrant.

Sparkle Paper and Cardstock - PAPER-PAPERS.COM
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-05-2014, 05:15 PM   #23  
Compulsive Stamper

My favorite cardstock is Conqueror 118#. So smooth and not flimsy. It makes such nice heavy die cuts and embosses deep with amazing detail. Also is great for base of cards. I started using it originally with my Copics and other inks ,because this doesn't bleed thru easily and is so smooth.
Reply With Quote Likes