Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Printed sentiments

I've been reading through a lot of older threads about printing your own sentiments on the computer, because I don't have many sentiment stamps. I'm just curious, for those of you that do this, what are your favourite fonts to use? And do you always print in black, or is there a way to match your font colour to your paper?

TIA!
Pip
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:01 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I nearly always print sentiments in black - but then I nearly always stamp my sentiments in black, too. Most word processing programs will have a button on the toolbar so you can change the color of what you want to print.

I think I use black because then I don't have another decision to make, i.e. what color, etc. And also because I have younger grandchildren who play on my computer sometimes, and PRINT in color.

So my black printer ink is always more reliable and likely to work.

About fonts - I tend to take the easy way out there, too. Do you see a trend here? I have quite a few interesting fonts that came already loaded on my computer, and I have gone to free font sites and downloaded a few others.

I have a cute handwriting font that a popular pro scrapbooker made that was free that I use quite a bit, and I have a fancy scrolled calligraphy script font that I use a lot.

When I hear about folks that say they "love" fonts and have collected thousands of them on their computer, it makes my head hurt.

Again, this is just me. I don't want to be overwhelmed with choices. It takes me long enough to make up my mind as it is, lol. When I see a commercial for some new music gadget and they say it will hold 500 songs - that makes my head hurt, too. How could you possibly decide what to listen to if you had to choose from 500??

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 08:18 PM   #3  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 77 Likes on 42 Posts

I used to print a lot of my sentiments and had several different fonts to choose from (just search for "free fonts" and you'll find oodles. One word of caution: the more fonts you have installed, the slower your computer becomes. I often printed my sentiments out on clear label paper (the full sheet clear labels). Once applied to your project, the label paper is almost invisible. I don't do this as much now, because my stamp stash has grown quite a bit. But I would recommend checking out some of the free font sites and choosing the ones you like. The "Fabulous Fifties" font is one of my favorites; I just posted a card yesterday using this font, because I didn't have a stamp for the sentiment I wanted to use. I formatted the sentiment in Word, used purple because that matched my card, and added slight shading to the sides of the text box; here's the link to my card: Sand in My Shoes by uncbballfan - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers
Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 09:37 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always print my sentiments out with my printer. I also know that downloading tons of fonts will slow down the computer drastically so....I keep them in a separate folder on my computer called "My Fonts". I use the font manager and I love, love it.

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 10:31 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,049 Likes on 809 Posts

LOL at Bugga - yep, I can't understand having all that many fonts but sometimes I download ones that will go with the theme of my card. I have a patchwork one that I use a bit, a jungle leafy one that works with certain themes, and I just downloaded Moonstar for an outer-space card. But the novelty fonts have limited use, mostly I have a half-dozen tried and trusted reliables. Samurai for an Asian feel, I use that quite a bit.
I do sometimes match the colour as closely as I can to the card, but mostly stick to black.
If I'm planning to cut with a label or tag die, I'll print in draft first to check the sizing.

There's a great tutorial here on making fancier sentiments yourself: Custom Fit your Sentiments into your Die Cuts! by Tiffany7 at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:03 PM   #6  
Kookie Creator

I have a fair few fonts on my computer but tend to stick to a few regulars, though I do usually go through them all before making my decision, easy to do in Word 2010. If I'm doing an 'elegant' card I very often print in a shade of grey as it looks more sophisticated than plain old black. A lot of commercial cards print their inside sentiments in grey.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:27 AM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
I nearly always print sentiments in black - but then I nearly always stamp my sentiments in black, too. Most word processing programs will have a button on the toolbar so you can change the color of what you want to print.

I think I use black because then I don't have another decision to make, i.e. what color, etc. And also because I have younger grandchildren who play on my computer sometimes, and PRINT in color.

So my black printer ink is always more reliable and likely to work.

About fonts - I tend to take the easy way out there, too. Do you see a trend here? I have quite a few interesting fonts that came already loaded on my computer, and I have gone to free font sites and downloaded a few others.

I have a cute handwriting font that a popular pro scrapbooker made that was free that I use quite a bit, and I have a fancy scrolled calligraphy script font that I use a lot.

When I hear about folks that say they "love" fonts and have collected thousands of them on their computer, it makes my head hurt.

Again, this is just me. I don't want to be overwhelmed with choices. It takes me long enough to make up my mind as it is, lol. When I see a commercial for some new music gadget and they say it will hold 500 songs - that makes my head hurt, too. How could you possibly decide what to listen to if you had to choose from 500??
Bugga that is when you use the shuffle and just hit play and let it decide for you. Because you loaded all the songs on there so its not like there is any you don't like but if you're not in the mood just hit next. LOL

Now back to printing, sorry can't help you I don't print, just stamp.

Marcie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:31 AM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by homesteadView Post
Bugga that is when you use the shuffle and just hit play and let it decide for you. Because you loaded all the songs on there so its not like there is any you don't like but if you're not in the mood just hit next. LOL

Now back to printing, sorry can't help you I don't print, just stamp.
Whew!! I'm glad to hear that.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

I have plenty of stamps to stamp on my cards. But if I want to put a verse on the inside of my card, lately I've been using fonts that are already loaded in Word. I use black ink and print on regular copier paper then attach to the inside of my card.

Janet
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 11:21 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I often print my own sentiments for both the front and inside of my card. I have literally thousands of fonts. I bought a CD from Walmart years and years ago with 10,000 fonts for about $5 (in a clearance bin). I try to match the font to the feel of the card. Sometimes I try to match the colour - which is easier in my graphics program than in Word. I also have a huge collection of dingbat fonts that I use as digital stamps. Lots of fun!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #11  
Gallery Gazer

Here is a thread for SU color values to help with matching printing to cardstock - at least SU cardstock.

SU! Color Values Chart by stefaniewilliams at Splitcoaststampers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 01:49 PM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by XcessStampsView Post
Here is a thread for SU color values to help with matching printing to cardstock - at least SU cardstock.

SU! Color Values Chart by stefaniewilliams at Splitcoaststampers
I wish there was something like this for other brands!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 02:17 PM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I print lots of my sentiments using the fonts in my computer. I usually print in black but will use color on cute or fun cards especially for children - or green for St. Patrick's Day, a pastel color to match an Easter card, brown or orange for Thanksgiving, and bright orange, green or purple for Halloween. I print them out first on printer paper to see if the size, color, etc. is right and then print them out on card stock and add to my card. I also keep a computer file for favorite sentiments for holidays, birthdays, etc.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-13-2013, 06:10 PM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by DianeinSparksView Post
I print lots of my sentiments using the fonts in my computer. I usually print in black but will use color on cute or fun cards especially for children - or green for St. Patrick's Day, a pastel color to match an Easter card, brown or orange for Thanksgiving, and bright orange, green or purple for Halloween. I print them out first on printer paper to see if the size, color, etc. is right and then print them out on card stock and add to my card. I also keep a computer file for favorite sentiments for holidays, birthdays, etc.
Ditto, allows me to size the sentiment to fit where I need it. The only thing I can't do when printing a sentiment is heat embossing it.

Last edited by craftykarla; 02-13-2013 at 06:10 PM.. Reason: misspelling
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:09 AM   #15  
Stampin' Fool

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I get my fonts from DaFont.com and have to say that "Jenna Sue" is the one I use most often. Another one I like is "Nymphs Handwriting". Some that I like for one word, like one large word like Hello or something, is "Riesling" or "New Garden" . There are also Dingbats that, if you have time to scroll through them, there are some fun ones out there...I have printed them out and used them instead of a stamp once or twice There are also fonts that are almost exactly the same as famous fonts...like "Will and Grace" and "Loki Cola"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 04:27 AM   #16  
Kookie Creator

I know some printers use pigment inks. Has anyone tried if these inks can be heat embossed?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by CraftyMel2View Post
I get my fonts from DaFont.com and have to say that "Jenna Sue" is the one I use most often. Another one I like is "Nymphs Handwriting". Some that I like for one word, like one large word like Hello or something, is "Riesling" or "New Garden" . There are also Dingbats that, if you have time to scroll through them, there are some fun ones out there...I have printed them out and used them instead of a stamp once or twice There are also fonts that are almost exactly the same as famous fonts...like "Will and Grace" and "Loki Cola"
Thanks for sharing the names of the fonts you use most often. I don't have many installed on my computer, and I really liked the ones you named.

When I go to the free font sites, I have trouble deciding because they have so many. You helped me with your excellent choices. Thank you.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 10:26 AM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyceLView Post
I know some printers use pigment inks. Has anyone tried if these inks can be heat embossed?
I haven't had much luck with either of the dye or pigment inks in my printer for embossing - even if I get it on there as its coming out of the printer. What I found I have to do is spray my paper with a very thin coat of fixative before running it through. The fixative is really stinky, so I have to decide whether its something I really want to do because I have to do it outside. I don't emboss very often when its -20C here.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 PM   #19  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
I haven't had much luck with either of the dye or pigment inks in my printer for embossing - even if I get it on there as its coming out of the printer. What I found I have to do is spray my paper with a very thin coat of fixative before running it through. The fixative is really stinky, so I have to decide whether its something I really want to do because I have to do it outside. I don't emboss very often when its -20C here.
I have had some luck ink jet embossing with Paris No Bleed paper, and settings on my computer which allow me to increase ink volume. But you have to be standing right there with the EP and hit it right after it comes out. It helps if it is small, like a sentiment, so it does not take too long to print. And don't forget to use and embossing buddy before you put the page in the printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:43 AM   #20  
Die Cut Diva

I have generally found that if printing onto vellum then the ink stays wet long enough to heat emboss.
Fonts I particularly like are:
VIVALDI- lovely for Wedding/Baptism/Anniversary cards.
CANDY CANE,great for Christmas, or kids.
MINSTER, Numbers 1 to 6, which are a nice Olde English type script, but easily readable,
SCRIPTINA LIGHT, another nice fancy font,
BRADLEY HAND, a handwriting style font,
OLD SCRIPT REGULAR, fancy,
for dingbats:
PLAYING CARDS REGULAR- exactly what it says,
DAMASK DINGS 1, flourishes,
BEAUTIFUL ORNAMENTS 3, flourishes,
NYMPHETTE REGULAR, gorgeous flourishes.
most came from Dafont, or Urbanfonts.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks for all the great font recommendations. I also get a bit overwhelmed by dafont and it is easier to look for something that someone recommends. For just some basic fonts that are already in word/powerpoint for those who don't want to down;ad, I like Noteworthy and Handwriting Dakota for simple casual fonts, Curlz for a fun bit more ornate.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #22  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I change fonts often depending on the card. Some are more formal, like sympathy. Some are playful like a child's card.
Reply With Quote Likes