View Single Post
Old 02-10-2013, 03:36 PM   #4128
Anemone
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by misse336 View Post
Out of curiosity, how long do you have from the time the meat is butchered to wrap it and get it in the freezer? We've had a cow butchered twice and split with friends, but the meat always comes to us nicely cut up and packaged.
When we were young (before we ever went overseas), I can remember my parents doing this. We had two quite large chest freezers in the basement. IIRC, my parents bought a side of beef, a lamb, and at least 20 chickens every fall. But I know the beef & lamb came to us already cut & wrapped in butcher paper & tape, and always had what was in it written on it in marker. I think they bought pork too, but I don't remember. The chickens came from family friends who had a farm.
We also would either go to pick-your-own farms or the farmers market and I remember helping my parents chop, prepare & freeze bags of carrots, corn, beans, broccoli, cauliflower and I think beets for my Dad. We would do berries in their respective seasons as well. And we always made a trip to the apple orchard, and my Grandma would come one day, and Mom & Grandma would do a ton of pie crusts for the freezer, then they'd do some apple pies as well, and I remember peeling, cutting, and coring apples, then they would cook them down and then put them through the applesauce maker. No idea how many quarts of applesauce mom froze every year, but I'm sure it was quite a lot.