View Single Post
Old 02-07-2013, 12:20 PM   #113
imthenoni
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramomma View Post
My experience is...bigger isn't always better...

It's an attitude that I continue to work on in my life...and I do see from experience that decluttering continues to make a positive difference in my daily life...and in my teaching my children...which I pray makes a difference in their home because I took time to set a better example to them once I learned how to do it myself!
I am so glad that you are setting such a good example for your children. I had 2 examples as a child.

1 - my step-mother (me - ages 6-13) - she was always 'there is a place for everything and everything must be in it's place' yet she didn't want to have to do it herself so each day it was my job to pick up the house after school. The weekends were worse - I had to wash the laundry, and God forbid if I didn't hang it on the line the way she wanted it done even though she would change her mind with the wind. We lived in a 10 room house which included 1 1/2 bath & kitchen, 2 dens, laundryroom, 3 br, etc and a full basement which had to be swept, dusted & mopped as well. She actually took things that belonged to me when I went to live with them and gave them away even though she knew who they belonged to. She also only allowed me very few personal belongings. When I went to live with my mom I got everything that belonged to me in 1 large suitecase and 2 boxes.

2- my natural mother (me ages 1-6 & 13-17 1/2) - she was more concerned with other things than cleaning, though I still did most of the cleaning because I was used to that. I did learn how to put things in closets, cabinets, drawers, the oven, wherever to get them out of sight (the flight of the butterfly).

I HATED to clean the house thanks to dsm and thus did only the basics with my children and nevermind about being organized at home, though I'm very organized at work. (The funny thing is my dad is VERY organized). I think between the two of my influences I learned to hold on to the past and anything that someone gave me. I also did not like to clean.

I am getting better at both of my issues. I am getting rid of so much that it is wonderfully releasing (please don't think my house looks like hoarders - it's not that bad at all).

Because of my issues my children are all over the place as far as how they clean. They do know how to clean but just do it as need be - like when people are coming over or that kind of thing. DD1 is the best at cleaning and organizing.