View Single Post
Old 02-06-2013, 04:24 PM   #3459
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinois Marge View Post
OfficeMax is booming and hiring at HQ like crazy. Running out of room. Some departments are getting kicked out of HQ to a satellite building in Itasca. Glad its not us, there would go my 5 minute commute.

We are also moving to another floor in April, co-located with development. Open floor plan so we collaborate more and be more speedy. The expert told us at recent all-hands meeting that noise volume actually drops in open layout. I didn't believe him but based on what you say, there might be some truth to it.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes--and look forward to hearing how it works out on your end! It would be pretty quiet for us if we could gag the visiting bigwigs, LOL. I love sitting close to people I work with--I think it does help a lot when you're trying to solve complex problems. Even with a screen share there's no substitute for seeing someone's expression when they get it--or aren't quite there yet. My manager's big on communicating ideas through pictures so if I couldn't sit there and doodle things out on a white board with him it would probably take us a lot longer to sort out some of the really intricate stuff we need to put together.

I just like having enough of a cube wall that now and then I can just go back to my little den and be left alone to think and work. Oh--that and pin up pictures from trips.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!