Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 02-01-2013, 02:19 PM   #1  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silhouette Designer Edition???

I have the regular silhouette studio and I also have SCAL3. I was just curious if the designer edition was worth the cost. You can get it on overstock.com for $39.94. The feature I was really interested in was the rhinestone feature but I think that SCAL3 does that. I'm not sure of any other features that make the designer edition something worth buying. Help!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 10:28 AM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Anybody?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-04-2013, 01:01 PM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I have SCAL2 for my Cricut and I find that SSDE is a little easier to use, once I took the time to learn the program. I didn't upgrade my SCAL2 as I don't want to not be able to use it with my Cricut since it's no longer available. SSDE gives you the functionality to do the rhinestone patterns and SVGs and I don't know if there are other differences compared to the free version?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 12:54 AM   #4  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

If you already have SCAL 3 you can do rhinestones & import SVG's.

SSDE does have sketch design function and pattern knife.

I don't think SCAL 3 has a sketch design function. I was looking at it on SSDE and you can get those same function using Inkscape. The sketch design feature I would ask over at the SCAL forum if they know of any good tutorials.

I have not seen the pattern knife function in Inkscape. You can make similar designs but it won't be as easy.

I definitely have not seen pattern knife function in SCAL 3. There is another software out called Funtime that has this similar feature. It was one of my favorites when I used Funtime. Funtime can be used with the Cameo. It is a lot more expensive.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-05-2013, 06:48 AM   #5  
Gallery Gazer

I have a Cameo (very new user) and bought the Designer Edition, but I know nothing about SCAL 3.
Here is where I got my upgrade Silhouette Studio Designer Edition (Digital Download): SVGTools.co - Sizzix eclips, Silhouette Cameo, Sure Cuts A Lot, Silhouette Studio Designer Edition and more! and it comes with a $10.00 gift card. (I actually got it for $30.00 - sigh, everything is going up) It's the best price I could find. Right now it says out of stock, but I'm told that changes quickly, so call them or keep out an eye.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-07-2013, 06:24 PM   #6  
Rubber Obsessor

What does pattern knife and sketch design?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 12:06 AM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Sketch Design- Replace your blade with a pen. You can sketch a file instead of cut it. SSDE takes your file and turns it into a sketch design. MTC also does this- Under A Cherry Tree: The Cameo, my ARTist : How to draw sketches with the Silhouette Cameo. I am pretty sure that SCAL can too. I know the great members over at the SCAL forum probably have a tutorial.

Pattern Knife- You can cut your image in pieces using a fancy edge like scallops, pinking, etc... It's like having decorative scissors in your software. Silhouette has a picture on their site. You will need to scroll down- Silhouette America - My country

You can make these kind of decorative edges in SCAL 3 but you would need to do it in a separate vector program like Inkscape then import it in SCAL 3. To make knife edges in Inkscape is a lot more difficult.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 08:01 AM   #8  
Rubber Obsessor

Oh, duh!! Well those sound like exactly what they are... Such a blonde sometimes! Thanks so much guys... I'm still undecided on whether or not to get it. I was going to upgrade to the cameo, but I figured I don't use my SD as much as I should, so the upgrade will wait. Unless, any of you guys wanna talk me into it
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post
Oh, duh!! Well those sound like exactly what they are... Such a blonde sometimes! Thanks so much guys... I'm still undecided on whether or not to get it. I was going to upgrade to the cameo, but I figured I don't use my SD as much as I should, so the upgrade will wait. Unless, any of you guys wanna talk me into it
If you haven't used your Silhouette that much, I would recommend playing with it just to see what you use the most before taking the plunge to get a different machine. The combination of machine and software you have now will work for just about anything you want to do for paper crafting. The things you will find out by using it is if you need a wider cutting bed and the ability to cut a larger variety and/or thicker/denser materials. I've had my machine for about 5 years now, and just recently started scrapbooking again, so now I *need* a bigger machine. Up until about 8 months ago, this thing suited my needs perfectly.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:48 PM   #10  
Hardware Hotshot

I agree with cat_woman. Wait and use what you have.
Maybe you need to ask yourself why you have not used the Silhouette you have?
Is it in an inconvenient place so it is a nuisance to use? Then move it if you can .
Are you a hands on person who prefers manual dies and machines?
Do you get frustrated with technology?

There is nothing wrong with these reasons, everyone is different, but a newer machine won't change them . If these are the reasons why you have not used what you have then if you buy another machine you will just have two machines collecting dust .

In my young an impetuous youth I wanted to learn to knit. My frustration was in the stratosphere. I had to push myself to finish things and I never like how they turned out. I bought different needles, yarn and patterns. NADA. One day I asked myself why I didn't like knitting. The answer was it was monotonous and I don't like bulky knit sweaters. Gave away the yarn patterns and needles

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 02-10-2013 at 12:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes