Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 AM   #1  
Insane Embellisher

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default electronic cutter question

i found a review for 2013 and there were machines i had never heard of and some were upwards of $800.

i would like one that would use files that i find online at various sites, not just what that particular company has in their store, i dont want to be limited. i want one that cuts vinyl. i recently saw and old door with a quote on it and what they were asking for it, i could nearly buy the $800 machine, so i guess it would have to cut long things. and what i would find most useful would have a machine that could cut one of my stamped images so i would not have to fussy cut. i have double vision and fussy cutting is hard work for me.

am i dreaming? do i want the impossible? is there a machine that does that?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:22 AM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I read and researched both the Silouhette Cameo and the Sizzix eClips will cut vinyl/fabric/light chipboard. I decided to go ahead with the eClips - it can use any file with the eCal program. I'm still waiting on my machine so I can't give you a review on how it works, but I'm excited to learn!

Wanted to add that with coupon and shipping (to Canada) I paid just under $350 (including the eCal software).

Paper Crafty Goals for 2013: 50/135 pages and 185/75 cards.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:39 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

I am diving in and purchasing a Cameo ! I have researched and compared machines until I was cross-eyed, and this won out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #4  
Insane Embellisher

since we cant go to a store and try it out, i really need to know if i will fussy cut my stamped images and any font on my computer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:46 AM   #5  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes, it will cut stamped images and your fonts
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #6  
Embossing Fanatic

The Silhouette Studio software can also manipulate and cut fonts you already have - if a font is installed on your computer, you can use it with the CAMEO.
With the print and cut feature, the CAMEO also has the ability to cut out designs that have been printed on your home printer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 08:59 AM   #7  
Insane Embellisher

so i would have to stamp and scan, so the stamped image would be on my computer? which i guess would be no big deal because then you could also change the size of the stamped image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:02 AM   #8  
Embossing Fanatic

If you are wanting to cut out a stamped image, then yes. You would save it to your computer so it was an option to choose from within the program
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

and i could do that on a cameo?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #10  
Embossing Fanatic

Yes - all of that info above was taken from their info*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #11  
Die Cut Diva

Received 159 Likes on 99 Posts

You might like to read some reviews (& videos) of the Silver Bullet: Penny Duncan Creations: Side by Side Comparison Between Silver Bullet Pro Cutter & Black Cat Cougar
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:36 AM   #12  
Embossing Fanatic

The cost of those other machines have made my decision even easier -- they are just too expensive
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:37 PM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

I recommend using MTC (Make the Cut) with whatever machine you decide on - the tracing capabilities are the easiest I've used. There are a lot of cutters out there and most owners like theirs; I have several and like them all. There is a comparison at paperthreads.com

Make the Cut link Make the Cut!� - Offical Website - Greatest cutter software yet created!

BTW I have no vested interest...just an owner of a few cutters (electronic and manual)

http://darlenemcg.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:18 AM   #14  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a CraftRobo using Silhouette Studio right now. I had considered a Cameo when I was looking for a new machine with a wider bed, but I think a better choice now is the Zing machine by KNK. It has more force and able to cut thicker materials. It has a 14" wide bed so you are able to cut true 12" wide papers - as far as I know you can't cut right to the edge of 12" paper with the Cameo. Plus it comes with Make the Cut. I have been really put off with Silhouette Studio and the lousy way it does print & cut - it can't do it accurately consistently. So, there's another machine thrown in the mix for you to consider.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #15  
Insane Embellisher

i have to run out the door but i will check out those links. you all are using terms that are so foreign to me, so i dont know if thats something i need or not! :-) like print and cut, not really sure what that action really is. i figure it prints and cuts something? i really want one that cuts vinyl to put on vintage doors! and really how many of those do i need? geez, i have been researching a higher end paper trimmer for over a year and still have not bought one, do i seem indecisive to you all?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 AM   #16  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by lori92760View Post
i have to run out the door but i will check out those links. you all are using terms that are so foreign to me, so i dont know if thats something i need or not! :-) like print and cut, not really sure what that action really is. i figure it prints and cuts something? i really want one that cuts vinyl to put on vintage doors! and really how many of those do i need? geez, i have been researching a higher end paper trimmer for over a year and still have not bought one, do i seem indecisive to you all?
If you want your machine to do the fussy cutting for you around your stamped image, then you will need a machine that has the print & cut functionality. Some don't have it built in, but there are work arounds (which to me is too much work).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:28 PM   #17  
Polyshrink Goddess

For cutting stamped images this is how I do mine:

I scan the stamped image into MTC to trace, apply blackout so that it's a solid shape, and save. I cut the shapefirst, use my stamp-a-jig to line up and stamp.

Once you've scanned and saved, you don't have to trace it again.

Print and cut allows you to cut around a printed image. Some machines have optical eyes for this and others use laser...I prefer laser.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Lori- All the machines do what you want. All the machines have a learning curve. I think the Cameo would be your best starter machine. Even the Silhouette Portrait would be great too. Die cut machines are also known as plotters. All plotters will cut vinyl. The makers of Cameo have designed all their machines specifically for vinyl cutting. You will be able to cut long and wide. The Cameo & Portrait can cut to 10 feet in length. I have heard it can cut longer. I definitely know it can do 10 feet.

Also the designers of the Cameo made many of their machines to accurately Print & Cut. This is where the Cameo & Portrait shine is Print & Cutting. You will be able to cut your stamped images.

I do want to be fair I have said over here in the last few week on other posts that I am slowly falling out of love with my Cameo. I own a lot of die cutters. I am fortunate enough to try other cutters. I also rebuild and modify die cutters. My die cutters are like a customized car. The things I don't like about the Cameo are on a very technical side for the most part and have nothing to with crafting. I know if you start researching you will end up seeing me post things about the Cameo and think "Well she didn't like it so maybe I should stay away from it." I don't want people to think that. My reasons are really geeky and not crafting. I love the Silhouette machines for crafting. I do recommend the Cameo & Portrait for crafting. Especially if you are just working with vinyl or cardstock.

If your working with heavier materials I would look into the KNK Zing, Sizzix Eclips or Bosskut Gazelle. I know everyone is cutting felt, chipboard, foam and even grungeboard in the Cameo but it's not really made for that. The Cameo was made for light materials and intricate cutting. The Zing, Gazelle & Eclips all can do heavier materials and this is why they run at a higher price.

Bosskut Gazelle can Print & Cut like the Cameo. The KNK Zing can too. Sizzix Eclips can using Ecal.

One other review. Graphtec who is the maker of the Cameo has been around many years. They are a trusted company. KNK is one of the most established and highly respected companies in the plotter industry. Sizzix goes without saying how loved and trusted their company is with the paper crafting industry. BossKut is fairly new to the game. I do own a Gazelle. I took a chance on this company instead of going with an industry leader. They put a lot of time, research and love into their machines. I have high respect for the company.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by lylacfey; 01-23-2013 at 10:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 04:39 AM   #19  
Insane Embellisher

dee ann,

thank you for all the info. i am always curious why people own so many machines. i cant afford them and have no where to put them all if i could!

when you say print and cut, do they print like an inkjet printer or will it only do one color like the outline of the stamp. i actually drove 90 miles to an archiver store and they had one on the counter on display and no one there could answer my questions. (i really felt since it is the highest priced item in their store, they should have someone trained on it, inside and out. not a totally wasted trip, i did buy stamps and paper, but not what i went for...) and i cant just stamp on a paper and send it thru and it will cut out the stamp?

anyone, everyone post some links to the kinds of projects i could do. do i really need to cut chipboard? how heavy cardstock? much of what i use is 110lb, is that a problem?

do you all wish i would just take up needlepoint, yet? and be done with it?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 11:43 AM   #20  
Rubber Obsessor

Just to add my two cents' worth...I know you can scan in your "fussy" stamps save them as jpeg, (photo files), on your computer, trace them into Make the Cut software and cut them from the MTC software to a Cameo. Silhouette Studio will only cut files created in or for their software without, what for me, is too much trouble. I recently saw where US Cutter had refurbished Cameos for $180 and the MTC software is $60 and is very user friendly and has great forum resources. I have had really good luck purchasing refurbished eletronics and US Cutter has a pretty good reputation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #21  
Insane Embellisher

ok, i do not want a blank cut image that i have to try to then get my stamp to stamp perfectly on. on found this tutorial on scs. here's the link

the instructions for this technique start about the middle of the page. does this seem about right? because i am thinking as awesome as this looks i do not have the cognitive skills for this kind of procedure. damn menopause and several strokes. following a recipe for one bowl brownies takes every bit of my concentration, i think the 52 steps it takes to cut out a stamped image may be more than my intellect could handle.

well, i am just sad.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 12:01 PM   #22  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

ok, i do not want a blank cut image that i have to try to then get my stamp to stamp perfectly on. on found this tutorial on scs. here's the link

the instructions for this technique start about the middle of the page. does this seem about right? because i am thinking as awesome as this looks i do not have the cognitive skills for this kind of procedure. damn menopause and several strokes. following a recipe for one bowl brownies takes every bit of my concentration, i think the 52 steps it takes to cut out a stamped image may be more than my intellect could handle.

well, i am just sad.
There is a bit of a learning curve and to get it to cut hand stamped images takes a few steps, but once you learn it, it will make sense. Another route you could go if you want fussy cut images is to use digital stamps. Then you wouldn't need to do all the steps for a hand cut stamp. Its a fairly simple process with digi stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:23 PM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Here's a video link for what you want to do in MTC KNK Zing: Cutting Stamped Images Using the Williams-McJosselet Method. I agree with Cat_Woman, no matter what there is going to be a learning curve...but the more you use it the easier it becomes.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:46 PM   #24  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I recently got a KNK machine (Maxx Air) and KNK is top quality and the customer service has been wonderful so far which supports what everyone said and what I read before I made my decision to go with a KNK machine, and I did considerable research before making this purchase.

The KNK Zing mentioned by a few posters in this thread has a very good reputation.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #25  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

since we cant go to a store and try it out, i really need to know if i will fussy cut my stamped images and any font on my computer.
Lori, the penguins were cut from an image - the others were from images downloaded from the silhouette online store.
Attached Thumbnails
electronic cutter question-warm-penguin-wishes-01-13.jpg   electronic cutter question-winter-lace-cut-out-18.jpg   electronic cutter question-17-bday-cameo-cut-out.jpg   electronic cutter question-sarahs-butterflies-01-25-13-16.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-27-2013, 06:37 AM   #26  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

dee ann,

thank you for all the info. i am always curious why people own so many machines. i cant afford them and have no where to put them all if i could!

when you say print and cut, do they print like an inkjet printer or will it only do one color like the outline of the stamp. i actually drove 90 miles to an archiver store and they had one on the counter on display and no one there could answer my questions. (i really felt since it is the highest priced item in their store, they should have someone trained on it, inside and out. not a totally wasted trip, i did buy stamps and paper, but not what i went for...) and i cant just stamp on a paper and send it thru and it will cut out the stamp?

anyone, everyone post some links to the kinds of projects i could do. do i really need to cut chipboard? how heavy cardstock? much of what i use is 110lb, is that a problem?

do you all wish i would just take up needlepoint, yet? and be done with it?
Print & Cut- Here's a great tutorial that is easy to understand- How to Print and Cut using the Silhouette Cameo

Joy also owns a lot of cutters. She has a lot of info on her site about the various cutters. That might be some help.

The Cameo can cut 110lb cardstock fairly well. Why I say fairly well because you do have to take in humidity for your cardstock. I live in a high humid area. On high humidity days my cardstock did not cut well in the Cameo. I had no problems with my customized Cricut. I know some Cameo users do not have trouble at all with their 110lb cardstock in the Cameo. I prefer a heavier cutter for heavier cardstock. It's my personal preference.

I do cut out a lot of chipboard and other materials. My die cutting habits I use chipboard, acetate, fabrics more than I do cardstock. I need a higher end machine with more cutting force.

Don't take up needlepoint, lol. That is an expensive hobby. ! My biggest love is cross-stitch. Right when I got into paper crafting I was starting a huge project that I was doing on linen, specialty threads and beads. By the time I was going to finish this project it would cost me over $10,000. It was going to take me a decade to work on. This was a museum piece. I had to delay the project due a family illness. I still have the linen and specialty threads. I am going to do a smaller project that will take 2-4 years.

I have always been a paper crafter. When I was working with threads I had a RubberMaid box that filled all my crafting stash. Now, I have a full art studio. Unbelievable! My stitching friends tease me all the time about that, lol.

Last edited by lylacfey; 01-27-2013 at 06:51 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 09:26 AM   #27  
Compulsive Stamper

Ok, I am jumping in here....lol...I have had a Cricut Expression for many years, and quite honestly I don't want to have to continue to buy Cartridges...so, that said, I am looking at making my own Chipboard albums...the shaped ones, the ones that "nest" images, etc...I need a cutter that could cut chipboard, is EASY to use and to learn to use and that is compatible with MTC software...I also DO NOT want to spend more than $300 for a cutter right now...being recently widowed with 5 children AND losing ALL of my "consumable" scrapbook supplies, I have a lot I am dealing with...lol...so- ease of use, cost,MTC compatibility, and ability to cut chipboard for albums...is there ANY that would work for me that you would recommend?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

A brand new Zing is going for around $399US right now and comes with MTC - so compatability isn't an issue. It will cut chipboard. As far as I know from what I've read on the Zing, it can cut thin balsa wood, so I don't think it would have a problem with chipboard. I have read also that it can cut grungeboard, but I can't find the blog I read that on. If you go the the MTC forum (run by the people who developed MTC) you can get a lot of info/recommendations for machines. They do like the Zing over there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 05:25 AM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

what is mtc?

those who have machines, what do you find you use it mostly for? i can see where cutting multiplies of the same file, where it would be very useful. but it seems very labor intensive to cut out one stamped image.

it would be lovely to have a computer and printer and an electronis cutter in one room.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #30  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

what is mtc?

those who have machines, what do you find you use it mostly for? i can see where cutting multiplies of the same file, where it would be very useful. but it seems very labor intensive to cut out one stamped image.

it would be lovely to have a computer and printer and an electronis cutter in one room.
It is a little labour intensive if you are cutting hand stamped images, but its a whiz if you are using digital stamps. I use my cutter quite a bit. I cut all the nestie shapes and doilies and paper piecings. Its a lot of fun. If you take a look at the paper layout I posted on my blog here , I cut everything (except the picture, the ribbon, & the bottlecap) on my CraftRobo. I love this machine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:23 PM   #31  
Kookie Creator

I owned one of the original Silhouettes and I sold it as I was totally unhappy. Then I started researching cutters and went with the Bosskut Gazelle. This machine does not have "new and improved" upgrades as you see with other cutters.....they did the work first before they put it on the market.

In all the years there has been only one major upgrade and that was in the past year where Bosskut upgraded the motherboard so...instead of one point registration for print and cuts they went to a three point. It will fussy cut a digital image...it will fussy cut a stamped image. The Gazelle will cut 12" media. It's software is easy to use and designed especially for the scrapbooker with the features that all the crafters want. 500 g of pressure. Cuts cardstock, glitter paper, chipboard, balsa wood, foam, Grafix plastic sheets, metallic papers, vinyl and other media.

I have no regrets with my purchase and I highly recommend the product and...the tech support has to be the best in the industry. The user comes first!

Cathy

http://catricks-creations.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:22 AM   #32  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by kmkluvs2scrapView Post
Ok, I am jumping in here....lol...I have had a Cricut Expression for many years, and quite honestly I don't want to have to continue to buy Cartridges...so, that said, I am looking at making my own Chipboard albums...the shaped ones, the ones that "nest" images, etc...I need a cutter that could cut chipboard, is EASY to use and to learn to use and that is compatible with MTC software...I also DO NOT want to spend more than $300 for a cutter right now...being recently widowed with 5 children AND losing ALL of my "consumable" scrapbook supplies, I have a lot I am dealing with...lol...so- ease of use, cost,MTC compatibility, and ability to cut chipboard for albums...is there ANY that would work for me that you would recommend?
I am sorry kmk. Hugs to you and your children. Can you try to save up another $100 for a Zing? I think that would be your best cutter for you. You already use MTC. I could recommend other cutters that might fall in a cheaper range than the Zing. You won't have the stress of learning a new software. KNK has lots of videos. Andy has lots of KNK videos too on the MTC forum. The girls over at the MTC forum might know where you can get a cheaper Zing too. The Zing cuts at 750 gsm. You will be able to cut through chipboard like butter with that kind of pressure. Zing is the official cutter for MTC so that's why I recommend it. Most of the cutters on the market do work with MTC. I think with the Zing easing into it will be easier.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #33  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

I am a power user. I use my machines to cut fabric for quilting. Make vinyl decals for cars. I have a lot of muscle car guy friends who really depend on me for that. I make customized masks, stencils & templates. I cut those out in acetate. I have cut polymer clay with my machines. I make stain glass pattern pieces. I have cut balsa wood on my machines. I put pens and markers in my machines to make my own digi images. I have made stickers, temporary tattoos. I keep going on. I use my machines for everything. If I can think it I will do it.

The one thing I hardly do with my machines is make frames for my stamp images. I do paper craft with my machines. I do a lot of paper piecing. For some reason I just find it easier to fussy cut a lot of my items. I do agree it can be labor intensive for one stamp image. A lot of times fussy cutting fits something better than die cutting. It's not unusual for me to die cut and fussy cut several elements on one project.

I do use my machines to make my own embellishments like custom flowers, Jolee's embellishments, Thickers. I have even made clear stamps and my own "veneers".

My husband has used the machines to emboss on leather creations and etch some metal designs.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 01:41 AM   #34  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatrickView Post
I owned one of the original Silhouettes and I sold it as I was totally unhappy. Then I started researching cutters and went with the Bosskut Gazelle. This machine does not have "new and improved" upgrades as you see with other cutters.....they did the work first before they put it on the market.

In all the years there has been only one major upgrade and that was in the past year where Bosskut upgraded the motherboard so...instead of one point registration for print and cuts they went to a three point. It will fussy cut a digital image...it will fussy cut a stamped image. The Gazelle will cut 12" media. It's software is easy to use and designed especially for the scrapbooker with the features that all the crafters want. 500 g of pressure. Cuts cardstock, glitter paper, chipboard, balsa wood, foam, Grafix plastic sheets, metallic papers, vinyl and other media.

I have no regrets with my purchase and I highly recommend the product and...the tech support has to be the best in the industry. The user comes first!

Cathy
I like my Gazelle too. Right now she's been regulated to the garage so my car friends can make projects. They treat her like a lady. It's funny to watch them cut out designs on a pink machine, lol. I am a big girly girl and one of the reasons I bought the Gazelle because she was pink, lol.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 02-02-2013, 05:33 AM   #35  
Insane Embellisher

you ladies have giving me so much to think about. what i really want is one of you to come live with me for a month, i'll cook your meals you just have to be patient and teach me.
Reply With Quote Likes