View Single Post
Old 02-01-2013, 03:24 AM   #3303
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stampin Wrose View Post
In other words, I mash down on the gas when the light switches. I have to actually be lighter with my foot with the Camry than I was with the Outback. Or else I squeal the wheels. What does that mean, Jane? In physics or car terms.
It means that your tires have lots of grip. When you accelerate that quickly, the squealing tires are trying to grip but the grip is being broken. That's why often you hear that long squeal before the bang in wrecks--someone's hitting the brakes hard but the car has so much forward momentum the tires can't keep their grip on the road.

E could probably give you a better scientific description of the physics.

Since the Subaru had AWD, all 4 wheels moved at the same time, which meant with the same hard acceleration, you didn't have 2 wheels moving and 2 tires getting pulled forward before they start rolling. You can still get that squeal with AWD or 4WD if you have very very grippy tires and accelerate hard enough, but it takes way more force to get to that point.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!