Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:03 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Adhering a tiny bow? Best way?

New to working with ribbon. I have a card I have run a 1/4 strip of organza across, securing it at the back as suggested on the forum, and now I want to attach a small bow to the ribbon. I have tied a very nice little bow, but I don't want it to be too "stuck on" looking. If you know what I mean. Maybe put something on it to flatten the knot out a bit?

But how to adhere it? What kind of adhesive should I use?

This must sound like a very dumb question, I know. But I don't want to put the whole card together and then blow it by messing up the little bow at the very end. So I figure there must be some best way to do it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #2  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
New to working with ribbon. I have a card I have run a 1/4 strip of organza across, securing it at the back as suggested on the forum, and now I want to attach a small bow to the ribbon. I have tied a very nice little bow, but I don't want it to be too "stuck on" looking. If you know what I mean. Maybe put something on it to flatten the knot out a bit?

But how to adhere it? What kind of adhesive should I use?

This must sound like a very dumb question, I know. But I don't want to put the whole card together and then blow it by messing up the little bow at the very end. So I figure there must be some best way to do it.
I use glue dots on my bows. They stick, and it won't show through if you put it on the back of the knot part.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM   #3  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

What SC Magnolia said with the glue dot. And I think it would be good to try to flatten out your knot in the bow as much as possible before you try to stick it on.

If you don't want to spoil your card, use a piece of plastic packaging, so you can peel the glue dot up, stick your bow down and see how it looks to you. I've gotten pretty creative about trying things out before I actually put them on my "precious" card.

I usually make cardfronts and attach them to white bases. I've learned to stamp my sentiment on the white inside BEFORE I go to the trouble to attach my cardfront, in case I mess up and smear the sentiment or it doesn't stamp all the way.

I think putting the little bow on the organza ribbon will have the added effect of helping the ribbon stay in the right place, too.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #4  
Kookie Creator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tombow is awesome for tiny bow too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-30-2013, 10:34 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If it's very small, my only glue dots are quite big and sometimes I use a tiny piece of red-liner tape - had to resort to that for my sketch card yesterday!
If you don't want it to look "stuck on", sometimes I actually thread the ribbon through the knot, but that depends on the width of the ribbon, and has an impact on the angle the bow will sit at. I don't think it would work with what you describe as a tiny bow .
If you go to the techniques section and type in ribbon knots into search, you'll come up with a couple of very useful threads, now you've entered the world of ribbon...
I'll be back after work to see if you've uploaded your card!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Both are good suggestions. I tend to go with the glue dot since it's less messy. I use my paper piercer to kind of roll them up if I need a super small one.

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #7  
Simon Says Stamp

I do a little dot of Glossy Accents. If you are sending it through the mail glue dots may come off. Glossy Accents is a stronger adhesive for mailing
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 AM   #8  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I am bookmarking this thread for future reference. No bow, though, after all the fuss I decided I didn't like how it looked where I thought I wanted to put it. And the organza edges were fraying. I don't think my ribbon was the best choice for the size of bow I needed, anyway. It just didn't look clean and tidy enough. But thank you all for the tips! I've uploaded the card to the CC411 Color Challenge gallery and now I can go clean up the incredible mess I made in my studio putting this card together. (I have a very messy process!)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #9  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm definitely not the best at tying bows even with the assistance of a bow tying 'cheater'. Especially with organza, I give myself a little extra ribbon when tying so there will be enough of a tail on both side to trim off.

I cut my glue dots up if my bow is really tiny-ie 1/4" organza. Roll it a little between my fingers and put it on the back of the knot section then place on the card front.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I use strip adhesive for a lot of things, but like Jana, I use a liquid adhesive for small embellishments and bows. Glossy Accents, Tombo Multi, XPressIt Clear Gel, ZipDry...My experience is that a bit of liquid adhesive will actually surround the edges of the embellishment and hold it well.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-31-2013, 10:56 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for the affirmation that I'm actually doing something right. I use glue dots also.
Reply With Quote Likes