View Single Post
Old 01-28-2013, 11:27 AM   #30
cat_woman
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachelrose View Post
I have to say that in the matter of competitions I can't be so sanguine. If you designed a card and then taught others how to make it in a class and someone then entered the card they made in that class in a competition, it would be wrong. A competition is a contest in which entrants are judged on both their ideas and execution of said ideas. If the ideas were not theirs to begin with, the fact that they executed them well doesn't make the card their own. It would, instead, be intellectual theft...
I have to disagree with this. I personally think that if you teach someone to do something, then they are free to use that knowledge however they please as well as the results of that knowledge (products). I also used this example in another thread going with this same kind of topic. If you take a sewing class or knitting class and make a clothing item, do you not think you should be able to sell that item. People use sewing patterns and enter contests at fairs for dresses, quilts, etc. all the time. I also have to ask, what about all the people on design teams that are rewarded (some of them quite generously with free products) that use designs that you know they didn't invent themselves (like the easel card, a twisted easel card, or a spring card), but still consider the cards they make as "their design".

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is, if you didn't copy something exactly, then its your design and your decision as to what your want to do with it.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!