View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #2038
Anemone
CBC Lady Violet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerBreeze View Post
Hi ladies! Got a question. I bought some vintage crochet books at a flea market a while back. Went though it, found pattern I liked and started on it. It said to use size 50 crochet thread. I've never heard of sz 50, so I started using my faithful favorite sz 10.

Can you not use any other size yarn you want on a pattern if it states to use certain size? I've done it and re-done so times the yarn is getting worn out. It's just is not coming out right--too wavy. I had even tried taking out a few stitches, still didn't work. Please help! THANK YOU!!
Generally, you can change the size/weight of your yarn or thread and it will just change the gage & size of your finished piece. But especially with finer work, if you change it too much, your work will curl or wave. With crochet cotton, the higher the number, the finer the thread. 50 is quite fine - size 10 is four sizes larger (since the sizes go 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 etc. 100) as far as I know. Though 10 & 20 are the most commonly found these days, the others are available. I know that DMC does make a size 50 thread in their cordonnet line and it is available from online stores. Try your pattern with a size 20 thread if you have it in your stash, but I would order a ball or two of the size 50 and go ahead & try it.