Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-22-2013, 05:37 AM   #1  
Die Cut Diva

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Michael's Store Image?

Has anyone else noticed the M's is going towards home decorating now? The email I received yesterday is all about decorating your home. Could be why nothing ever changes in their stamping/scarpbooking area.

Oh well

Bonnie K
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #2  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been noticing that the 2 Michael's stores that I frequent most seen to be pushing their Scrapbooking/papercrafting supplies toward the back of the stores. One stores really seems to be featuring jewelry making and the other, floral arrangements. Sometimes (not often), I am pleasantly surprised to see new papercrafting supplies but then they are left to dwindle.

Yes, I did get the same email. I think JoAnn would be more the place to go for home dec supplies because they have more material, pillow covering items, etc. Muchael's has wall dec stuff.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-22-2013, 06:35 PM   #3  
Crimping Master

Hobby Lobby has great home decor and JoAnns has the nice home decor fabrics. Michael's is definitely deteriorating in my area. My store has divided the paper crafting supplies and placed them in 4 or 5 different aisles with no real organization. I go there less and less and don't miss it at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 05:53 AM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

I have JoAnn's, AC Moore and Micheal's within 15 minutes of me, Hobby Lobby is about a 30 minute drive and I think they stink. I am usually walking away without anything, unless it is basic tape refills, ink pads. But I have yet to see amazing papers, heavy card stock, etc. Although my Micheal's does have a very limited amount of Copics, but they are not displayed, they are in the front in the customer service area, so you have to know they are there. I dream of opening a real craft store in our area.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8cardsView Post
Hobby Lobby has great home decor and JoAnns has the nice home decor fabrics. Michael's is definitely deteriorating in my area. My store has divided the paper crafting supplies and placed them in 4 or 5 different aisles with no real organization. I go there less and less and don't miss it at all.
I went there coupon in hand for a Tombow Tape Runner and walked around for 15 minutes until I found the adhesive tucked away in a very small area in a corner. There was Martha Strewart adhesives in what seemed like very aisle. The only other thing I found was my intial monogram stamps in the dollar bin. I dont think they can decide on what niche they want.

Bonnie K
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 12:12 PM   #6  
Crimping Master

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stampnf1nView Post
I went there coupon in hand for a Tombow Tape Runner and walked around for 15 minutes until I found the adhesive tucked away in a very small area in a corner. There was Martha Strewart adhesives in what seemed like very aisle. The only other thing I found was my intial monogram stamps in the dollar bin. I dont think they can decide on what niche they want.

Bonnie K
HL is the last place I go for paper crafting supplies...very limited selection. I guess I didn't explain very well...it's definitely more of a decor store than paper craft. All of the JoAnns coupons turn me off because it's seldom I can find something that I actually need that doesn't already have a sale and the things I really would like a 40% discount on are ineligible. I was in agreement with the op that Michael's is getting to be sort of a mess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #7  
Gabfest Goddess

My local Michael's seems to be all about jewelry, wedding stuff (and they're really pushing their design and printing services), and lots of home decoration. My Michael's is a small one already with a limited scrapbooking/stamping section and every time I go in, it seems to be getting smaller and the jewelry section bigger.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #8  
Gallery Gazer

My M's has been pretty good about getting new stuff but I wish they would get less of it. They keep putting fast racks in all.the.aisles. and it's impossible to get around. I can't believe that store passes fire inspection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

I have noticed the change in my Michael's store too. My JoAnn's is the size of a walk in closet. I do have two Hobby Lobby's within fifteen minute driving distance from me. Michael's is the one I shop at the most because they do carry what I need. I never can find anything unique there any more since it's all trendy. I am not liking the change to home decor. I am kind of snobby elitist about my home decor. Well, least I admit it, lol. I think my shopping days at Michael's will be waning. I will do more online shopping. I do wish them the best success with the new direction they are taking.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:59 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Funny, I used to go to Michael's but mine is not good with stamping supplies. I now get most of my stuff at a great local stamp store in the city. I also do some shopping online.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 01:19 PM   #11  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 585 Likes on 240 Posts

One of the Michael's near me hasn't changed their aisles or themes in a long while. Yesterday I heard they are moving to a much bigger site and will have all new and different things. Very anxious to see what happens to the stamp and scrap department!
Mary Beth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-26-2013, 02:20 PM   #12  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I guess it really depends on where you live. We have ACMoore, Michael's and JoAnn Fabrics near me. ACMoore is the worst store ever. They NEVER get anything new in any of their departments except maybe jewelry. JoAnn Fabrics has expanded their paper crafting area, but still nothing I really want, so I only shop there for fabric and only if it is on a good sale because they are so overpriced on everything. I much prefer Michael's for paper crafting supplies when it comes to a brick and mortar store. Now I don't usually buy stamps there. I get them from online companies. But I do like their Recollections brand card stock for general use and the embellishments. They are always adding new stuff at my store. The yarn department on the other hand frustrates me. They don't keep enough in stock and need to expand the brands they carry. We also have a Hobby Lobby about 45 minutes away. They have the best selection of fabric at reasonable prices in my opinion. And I love browsing their home decor. As for home decorating at Michael's, they have always carried a selection of that stuff, at least in my store. I don't see anything wrong with changing the areas they are advertising. Who wants to see the same old thing all of the time. Not me.

My Gallery| My My Blog

Reply With Quote Likes