View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #423
Susanne527
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queenbee Jo View Post
I test my BS (blood sugar but I like to call it BS because diabetes IS BS) around 7-8 times a day. In the morning, before and after a meal and when I go to bed. I also test anytime I feel like poo.

My kids can tell you about my highs and lows. If I"m cranky, I'm usually either one or the other. If I'm cranky and tired it's probably high. I take medicine, and drink lots of water to fix it. If it's REALLY high, I become insulin resistant and it can take as long as 4 hours to fix. You REALLY don't want to get high. If I'm cranky and low I am also hot, shaky, my vision starts to waver. This is when I get to eat sugar to correct the problem. This can take 30-40 minutes to fix. The problems arise when you take too much sugar and ping-pong the other way. Bleah.

As Imke said, a normal sugar is between 80-120. I like to hover around 90, but I've been as high as 320 (forgot to bolus - inject insulin after Thanksgiving, oops) and as low as 38 (scared the pants off poor Ken). I didn't pass out but I was pretty incomprehensible. Yes, a low sugar can cause SERIOUS problems.

So there you go ... diabetes in a nutshell.
This is interesting to me (I know it's a lot of hard work for you and your family to worry about)...how did you first know you had an issue...like first signs...have you had diabetes since you were a kid? Does it run in your family?

www.quillingfancy.blogspot.com
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!