View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 11:47 AM   #64
cat_woman
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by gailjj View Post
I am in the same boat!! i have had nothing to do with die cutting machines and have bought a silhoutte and i am totally lost. one of the problems i am having is the card stock 'tearing' when it is cutting. i have adjusted blade depth but still no luck!! I was so excited about getting this machine but that excitement has quickly turned into frustration and disappointment. Looked at several you tube vids, but they all seem to be aimed at people who have experience with cutting machines. I haven't come across anything that explains what and how to use the designs..Oh i could go on forever...anyone out there that can help???
As Waltzingmouse said, the type of cardstock you use will make a difference. There are a lot of factors in the paper - how fibrous it is and fibre density, the humidity in your room/house, the ink saturation of the paper, grain of the paper. It took me quite a while to learn how to compensate for all these things (I've had my machine for about 5 years and still don't get it right all the time). But what I have found that causes tearing the most on the designs I'm trying to cut is cutting too fast. What I think is happening is the blade doesn't have enough time to turn to the direction it is cutting and will snag the paper and tear it. Also, a sharp blade really helps to eliminate tearing. I find that the Recollections cardstock cuts beautifully in my CraftRobo. Also, Wausau Exact Index cuts just as easily as the Recollections. I do cut Stampin Up cardstock but I don't use it that often and I usually do a double cut on it. I also use Bazzil and it works good too, but not as well as the Recollections.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!