View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #48
kazooMI
Compulsive Stamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzytobi View Post
I teach a lot of card classes at my LSS and was shocked to find a lady who took one of my classes sell the cards she made in my class at a garage sale along with her own cards. I WAS P-O'd. Like, a lot! I designed them, I prepped all of the materials, I taught the class... I guess she made the cards herself, and she technically owned them, but they were my intellectual property and the designs were protected under the copyright regulations at my LSS. I didn't say anything because I am an employee of the store and it would probably make things awkward for her and I in the future, but come on... That wasn't ok.
She sold the cards she made in the class doesn't sound like she made an unauthorized copy of the card so where is the copyright violation on the design. Even if she made another card isn't it likely that is what the LSS wants to happen? To sell more supplies, to further a crafters knowledge?

Perhaps Canadian copyright laws are different but in the US I'd expect that 1) there isn't a copyright issue by the maker as she created it in the class she paid for where the intent was to create the card and she can probably give or maybe even sell the card, 2) the copyright owner is the LSS as the work was developed by an employee as part of employment so the LSS owns the copyright. If anyone should/would have an issue it would be the LSS copyright owner and 3) if you reproduce that design you might actually be in violation of the copyright since it really belongs to the LSS not to you as an employee.

Add more complications to this if stamps were used on the card and the stamp company may have copyright issues since not all have angel policies.

I wonder how your LSS feels about this situation. I don't think that you have a right to be upset. If any one does it is the LSS. I don't think they would be, but maybe they feel differently.

Should I go delete the cards I've pinned as inspiration? Not look at cards in the gallery as I might subconsciously remember one and create a similar one?
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!