View Single Post
Old 01-23-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
lylacfey
Pearl-ExPert

Lori- All the machines do what you want. All the machines have a learning curve. I think the Cameo would be your best starter machine. Even the Silhouette Portrait would be great too. Die cut machines are also known as plotters. All plotters will cut vinyl. The makers of Cameo have designed all their machines specifically for vinyl cutting. You will be able to cut long and wide. The Cameo & Portrait can cut to 10 feet in length. I have heard it can cut longer. I definitely know it can do 10 feet.

Also the designers of the Cameo made many of their machines to accurately Print & Cut. This is where the Cameo & Portrait shine is Print & Cutting. You will be able to cut your stamped images.

I do want to be fair I have said over here in the last few week on other posts that I am slowly falling out of love with my Cameo. I own a lot of die cutters. I am fortunate enough to try other cutters. I also rebuild and modify die cutters. My die cutters are like a customized car. The things I don't like about the Cameo are on a very technical side for the most part and have nothing to with crafting. I know if you start researching you will end up seeing me post things about the Cameo and think "Well she didn't like it so maybe I should stay away from it." I don't want people to think that. My reasons are really geeky and not crafting. I love the Silhouette machines for crafting. I do recommend the Cameo & Portrait for crafting. Especially if you are just working with vinyl or cardstock.

If your working with heavier materials I would look into the KNK Zing, Sizzix Eclips or Bosskut Gazelle. I know everyone is cutting felt, chipboard, foam and even grungeboard in the Cameo but it's not really made for that. The Cameo was made for light materials and intricate cutting. The Zing, Gazelle & Eclips all can do heavier materials and this is why they run at a higher price.

Bosskut Gazelle can Print & Cut like the Cameo. The KNK Zing can too. Sizzix Eclips can using Ecal.

One other review. Graphtec who is the maker of the Cameo has been around many years. They are a trusted company. KNK is one of the most established and highly respected companies in the plotter industry. Sizzix goes without saying how loved and trusted their company is with the paper crafting industry. BossKut is fairly new to the game. I do own a Gazelle. I took a chance on this company instead of going with an industry leader. They put a lot of time, research and love into their machines. I have high respect for the company.

Hope that helps.

http://www.pinterest.com/faerydreams

Last edited by lylacfey; 01-23-2013 at 11:09 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!