View Single Post
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM   #2849
muddy otter
Directionally Challenged Parrothead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainsong View Post
Hanging in there.

Dh seems to be doing okay. His "tumor friend" took him out today for brunch and a visit to the salvage yard (dh had a dryer to dispose of). Then friend took him to pick up free food at all the places he knows.

Ended up with more rice, more macaroni, more bread--all the things to help me maintain my voluptuous figure!

Oh, and three HUGE bags of chips and a five lb can of green beans. We will gift our neighbor with the green beans as her church makes soup several times a year.

There was lots of other stuff, but too numerous to list. Just thought I'd tell you about all the "healthy" food offered to the poor. One time we ended up with 16--yes--sixteen! lbs (pounds!!!) of spaghetti pasta! (We gifted it to other family members.)

With that said, I'm bothered by receiving all these free things. For one, we aren't in dire straights--yet--and I don't want to take away from someone who might need it. For another, it makes me feel guilty for accepting it, but "tumor friend" wants to help and this is his way of doing it.

Sometimes I feel like we're on a social carousel. People call. They visit. More calls. More visits. And in between--doctor appts.

It's nice to be loved.

From a distance! (Just kidding.)

Rainsong
That sounds like both a huge amount of support and a bit of a whirlwind when you want quiet sometimes. Don't know if this helps, but one thing my sister did a couple of years ago was start an e-mail list. Sometimes while keeping folks updated, she'd add thanks for everyone's concern and that one thing that would help them the most would be a few quiet days to get settled again, that she'd send an update when they felt up to calls and being back in touch.

It sounds comforting to have so much love around both of you, though. I guess even if it's not always optimally what you'd choose, you very much appreciate the spirit and kindness. That says so much about you and DH.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!