Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:48 PM   #1  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 784 Likes on 320 Posts
Default Need Opinion on Blog Post Format

Hey Y'all, can you help me out? I'm trying to come up with a format for my blog posts. I usually just put a table below the photo of the card that lists the stamps, papers ribbons etc. used. However, lately I wonder if people would rather see pictures of the products and links to where they can be purchased. It takes a lot of extra time, but if most people would find that useful I'd be willing to take the time. Can you let me know which you would prefer as a blog reader?

photo of card with table listing products used
OR
photo of card with table listing products used and pictures & links of where to purchase.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:23 PM   #2  
Stampin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Being an SU demo I assume all the products you are featuring on your blog creations can be purchased through you; or another demo...but that they are all in fact SU products.

There is only one blog I follow that has the pictures with links on where to purchase and while it's nice, if it takes much more time and you have family, "other" job, activities to pursue beyond blogging basically...I don't feel it's important to provide that. At least, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I would think that if a product is not an SU product, but someone who visits your blog has a question on where to get it; as long as you are willing to answer those questions on a case by case basis you should be fine. I always like if I can contact an "artist" about a card I see here or on a blog or on Pinterest and ask for more information. People have always gotten back to me. Maybe not that day, or the next but within a few days.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #3  

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobbyView Post
Being an SU demo I assume all the products you are featuring on your blog creations can be purchased through you; or another demo...but that they are all in fact SU products.

There is only one blog I follow that has the pictures with links on where to purchase and while it's nice, if it takes much more time and you have family, "other" job, activities to pursue beyond blogging basically...I don't feel it's important to provide that. At least, it's not a deal breaker for me.

I would think that if a product is not an SU product, but someone who visits your blog has a question on where to get it; as long as you are willing to answer those questions on a case by case basis you should be fine. I always like if I can contact an "artist" about a card I see here or on a blog or on Pinterest and ask for more information. People have always gotten back to me. Maybe not that day, or the next but within a few days.
That's what I thought, but then I saw a couple other people who include pictures with links and that made me wonder. I'm new at this and just trying to get a handle on what people would like to see. Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #4  
Crimping Master

Carole, I have seen a few blogs where they post product links, but I rarely click through them unless it's something really unusual. Even then, I'll usually Google the product to find the best price or check with my favorite online stores to see if they have it. I really like the way you have your table at the end of each post set up, as it's very easy to read. I've seen bloggers who say, "If you have any questions about the techniques or products I used, be sure to email me" or something like that. If you put that on every post (or somewhere prominent on your blog), it might be easier than posting links to all the products and will show your readers that you are available to answer their questions.

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:00 PM   #5  
Stampin' Fool

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

I would just go with a chart. I find it annoying when blog surfing and there are all kinds of pictures of products and prices and where to get them ........are on the blog.

Plus isn't there a limit of how many pictures you can put on a blog? I don't mean for a single post but overall. I am not saying there is just wondering if after a certain number of photos they want money.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 07:43 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

As you are an SU demo I would presume that your supplies are SU unless otherwise stated and then I wouldn't presume that you should/would tell me where to shop for non-SU things as that is a competitor. In general I think if someone wants an SU product they will contact either you or their own demo. I wouldn't worry about the links.

Personally I toyed with the idea myself as I am pretty independent stamper and I thought "why" I'm not getting paid by a shop to promote their products. Don't get me wrong. If I like a product or service I will talk about it but I don't feel it necessary to link unless I have CASEd someone. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #7  
Polyshrink Goddess

I would say that I used to put product numbers and links to everything I used in my projects on my blog and it took a TON of time for me to do with each post. I wasn't seen online sales seeming to come in from those links so I stopped linking and even doing product numbers and I saw no change in the rate of my online sales. I still try to put a list of products used broken out by category though.

I'm interested to hear what people like and appreciate. But I think if it is taking you a lot of time and you aren't seeing sales, I would cut it. Your table looks good w/o the pictures imho.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 03:07 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I think just the list at the end is fine. Speaking as a UK blogger/crafter, anyway.Seeing you're a demo, I'd pretty much expect most of your products to be SU. I think its when other products are used that links can be useful to people, especially if they have used older stamps in particular. Even so, if the name/number/manufacturer are listed somewhere, it makes it easy to track it down if you want it. (I'm not an SU user, by the way).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:08 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I prefer to use just a quick and easy supply list at the bottom, or incorporate it into the way I write the post (i.e.: The cute paper I used for the base of the card is from the recently released XYZ paper pad. ) or I will use a couple of linked words w/in the blog post if I want to link directly to something on another site. But I use linked words very sparingly , to not muddle up my posts w/ lots of linked text.

When I'm blog surfing, I scroll right past the linked product image galleries many bloggers are using. I find them to be just too much of an in-your-face style of advertising. I guess I'm more of a subtle hint kind of gal. *LOL*

I'm all about writing your blog as you want it to be seen, not doing something just because Sally Stamper does it. And, the simpler you keep things, the more inclined you are to continue to publish regularly on your site. I write from experience .... June marks my 7 year blog-versary, and I have maintained a very similar style from the beginning. Clean and simple works for me!

For the bloggers that use the linked image galleries for every project, that's great -- if that's how they want to publish on their site. I'm just sayin' it's not my style. I will still read their blogs ... I just don't take action on the linked images.

Have a great time with your blog! I'm going to pop on by there as soon as I post this mssg.

Cheers to ya!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-17-2013, 09:10 AM   #10  

Thanks everyone!

So from what y'all have shared with me, my first inclination was right and readers are happy with just the list of things used. This is great because it is much less work!!

Anna, I love what you said, "the simpler you keep things, the more inclined you are to continue to publish regularly on your site." Perfecto!
Reply With Quote Likes