View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1699
janiekay
Die Cut Diva

Default It depends...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard View Post
Jane

In general, how do doxies get along with cats??? My Cleo is a Maine Coon. If you know their kind, they are large cats - big ears, big feet, very long tails, lots of long fur. At the moment Cleo is about 13 pounds. She intimidates the heck out of my other sweet little Serenity (a domestic short hair).

Cleo has never been around dogs. I just wonder what she and / or the dog would do to each other.
It just depends on the doxie! Some doxies have never been around cats, and have a high prey drive, meaning that they are hunters, which is what they were bred for. We recommend that these dogs don't go to a home with a cat. BUT, other doxies could care less about cats. PLUS, a Maine Coon TOWERS over most doxies and could generally care less about dogs. If a dog starts to bother them, they just give them a swift swat, and sometimes a hiss, and that is usually the end of it.

I use to have a Maine Coon many years ago! Still my favorite cat EVER!!!! He was just the best! They are so laid back, it is amazing. Mine would even go swimming with me! I also have a foster home that has a Maine Coon. He is the head of the household with 3 doxies! BUT, again, I always use caution when first introducing them to each other. I usually keep a leash on the doxie, so I have control.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!