View Single Post
Old 01-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #142
RiverIsis
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylacfey View Post
A lot of my resolutions that I made still stand. I have a very big mojo loss right now. I was slowly edging away from my dangerous career to become a full time artist. A few weeks ago I saw how ugly the art community can be, even though I know there are many good people in it. Personality wise that is not for me. I have been feeling a bit used in the art industry. I know part of that is my fault. I have a big helping people problem.

My creativity is for my happiness. I like my dangerous crazy job. I have decided to go back to school and finish my Ph.D in meteorology. I am going back to full time storm chasing. I am very excited about it. I was so excited about it I got all my Valentine Day crafting done. It turned out beautifully. A bit of late New Year's Resolution but I am excited.
Well done. And I am sorry the art community has been less than supportive. Honestly, I don't get it (and I don't get it why people like people that are like that - hope that made sense). Needless to say I have encountered that in many areas, so don't just think it is the art community. I just don't understand people that have to be negative about someone else to justify themselves. Continue to do your art for your satisfaction, not doing it full time will probably be the best mojo. I have quite a few friends in traditional arts - the funny thing is they are very water off a ducks back, they do their art as self expression and exploration of subject rather than competition. And I can tell you that they would be very helpful (that is probably why we are friends!).

FWIW and I know I have an untrained eye. But I am still flummoxed by a super critical art instructor at University. I was taking the class as an elective, however there was one student in the class that was beyond fantastic (my untrained eye). Could do drawn portraits in one class sitting and they were nearly photographic. The instructor never seemed to give constructive criticism but always was critical of his work. I just hope that instructor didn't knock him down too much (I know sometimes it is to help someone grow). It would be a loss if he is no longer drawing or doing artwork because of harsh comments.

Follow your joy and I bet your art inspiration comes back with a full vengeance!
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!