Thread: Purging ??
View Single Post
Old 01-11-2013, 02:44 AM   #103
JoBear2
Gallery Gazer

Thumbs up

Gizelabella: good for you for making a fantastic start to purging. And I understand exactly where you are coming from about holding onto the JUNK for fear that you wouldn't be able to replace it. My late father lived through the Great Depression and hung onto everything all his life. He was so poor when he went to school that he had bare feet - his Mum couldn't afford shoes or even socks! After he passed away unexpectedly 17 years ago, we had the difficult task of going through a mountain of things in his garage. I think he hung onto every screw or nail that he ever came across as there were many large containers of them. And they were all rusty so totally useless. I was brought up to "hang onto things because you never know when they will come in handy" - the trouble is that you never do know when they will come in handy - that day never actually seems to arrive - and so the growing pile of stuff continues on. I have never regretted purging anything - but it took me a while to change my way of thinking because my mind would automatically go to the thoughts of "maybe I should save this for......". Now I stop myself and ask myself: Do I like it? Can I think immediately of what I could use it for? Have I wished I wanted one in the past year? If I answer "no" to any of the questions, out it goes for either donation or the bin. I now feel comfortable thinking that if I do end up needing whatever I gave away/tossed, I am sure to find one cheap on EBay!

Keep going with your purging and let us know how you are going

“For introverts, to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping, as nourishing as eating.” ~ Jonathan Rauch
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!