View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
ukmaryanne
Compulsive Stamper

I've found it on quilting sites and I guess "expensive" is a relative term I think it is more expensive than T-shirt transfer but I don't recall it being massively pricey. I just tend to get a bee in my bonnet about something and hate waiting for the delivery and I def. didn't see it someplace I could just walk in and buy it from. Hence my cobbled together solution

It's interesting - I have two styles of transfer on hand - the one I used for the original sample you create on the transfer, flip it so the piece is face DOWN on the fabric, then iron. I have ANOTHER kind, different brand, where you have to create, peel off the transfer film, lay it on the fabric FACE UP, then take the backing paper and lay it over the fabric and iron. I won't work if you just flip and iron. The point is THAT paper (which is DecAdry, I think is the name) is very sturdy and you can actually colour with Copics onto the transfer film without it melting it (which is does do on the stuff I used for the one with my name) While you can't BLEND, per se, you CAN layer colours if you do dark-over-light and let each application of the Copic ink DRY before you add more. Going over it when it is "wet" will tear the film. You can kind of see that on his boots and a little on his face at the upper left.

I stamped THIS image with Memento and coloured. As the fabric was cream, not white, I trimmed close to the image then peeled it off and ironed it on.

I also have a couple of pieces where I PRINTED a digital stamp then coloured with Copics but have not done anything with them yet. I wanted to find a shirt to give it a go n but have no spare white shirts to try. But I see no reason why it won't work as well.