View Single Post
Old 01-09-2013, 06:45 AM   #1692
janiekay
Die Cut Diva

Heart Everyone should adopt from a shelter or rescue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stamp Wizard View Post
I can see why you are online & on the phone so much since you are doing a lot of work for RMHC and the doggies. Work is one thing but people who want to surf the web or text while talking to me.... Drives me NUTS!!

what do you do for the doggies? I donate materials (food, snacks, cleaning supplies, kitten formula, litter, etc.) to our local humane society. I can't volunteer there (tried several times in the past), it's too heart-breaking for me. Those sweet little faces tell me they want to come home with me. I can't take everyone home - even though that would be fun. Luckily the shelter is a 'no kill' facility!! All my animals have been rescued or gotten from people who no longer want their animals. I've NEVER bought from a store.
That is wonderful, Sandra! If only everyone would adopt instead of buying a puppy! Then, we would put puppy mills out of business!

I foster dogs that come into our rescue, because we are a foster based rescue. We don't have a facility like most humane societies do. I'm also a Representative for the rescue, so I also supervise foster homes and find adoptive homes for the dogs, and I arrange for medical care for those that need it(most do). We are a tri-state rescue that works mostly in IL, IN, and WI, although we also take dogs from other states and we adopt to people in other surrounding states like MN, IA, and MI. It is really almost a full time job in and of itself, but I love working with the dogs and I LOVE finding wonderful, loving homes for them. There is no better feeling than when I get pictures and updates of my foster dogs and how well they are being treated in their new homes! Yes, it is hard to give them up after fostering them, but as you said, I can't keep them all, and every time I get a foster adopted, it makes room to take another needy doxie into rescue!

Last year, we took in 264 doxies in need. The year before, we took in 225 and spent about $110,000 in vet bills!!! SO, another thing I do is plan fundraisers, because we have to find money to pay those vet bills! In addition, we usually hold adoption events where people can meet foster dogs in their area. We won't adopt at this event, but after they meet the dog, they can put in an application to adopt.

It is wonderful that you donate items to your local shelter! They can only survive with outside help! For example, if you noticed we spent about $500/dog that we brought in, on average, but our average adoption fee is only $250. If you want to check out my rescue, we are on facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/MidWesDacRe...tream&__req=5k
We'd love it if you "liked" us!!!

and our website is MidWest Dachshund Rescue, Inc. - Available Dachshunds

Thanks for all you do for your local animals! We work with most of the shelters in our area to take in special needs doxies or ones that they are having trouble adopting. A LOT of doxies don't do well in shelters, so we get called quite frequently to take the doxies that do come in!

Hugs,
Jane
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!