Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SU cling stamps that won't

Ever have a problem getting SU cling stamps to actually cling to the block? I can get some of them to cling, but others just won't. I've tried SU blocks, Michaels' acrylic blocks (smooth & graph lined side) and friskars stamp press. My SU demonstrator mentioned holding the stamp to the block in the warmth of your palm for several seconds - that helped with some, yet I still have others which this trick doesn't work on. BTW, I've assembled them as instructed - sticking the clear plastic sticker with the stamp image on the foamy side of the rubber stamp. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #2  
Stazon Splitcoast

Yes this is very frustrating. I have put a piece of double sided tape on my block and used them like that. I figure its better to do that than not be able to use them at all. If I get anymore like that I am going to start sending them back for another set. This is a problem SU needs to get fixed. There are too many companies that don't have this problem, so it can be fixed. Good luck.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

If SU would only print the image directly on the foam without the extra sticker. That would do it. It's just a matter of manufacturing precision. But I suspect they have issues with that. I get a lot of stamps where the die cut that punches out the red rubber and foam is off and I end up pulling out those tough sheers and trim off the excess.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #4  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

here's a video on one method to get them to stick. have not tried it but looks interesting.

My Stamp Lady Acrylic Blocks with Vinyl - YouTube
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #5  
Inking Addict

Watched the video and looks like it might be something that will work. I tried cleaning both the stamp and block, but sometimes it works and sometimes not. I have finally given up on purchasing stamps until they resolve the problem. I love their stamps,but it's just so frustrating that I just have given up using the ones that I have. :-(

My Blog: Afternoon Stamper
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:12 PM   #6  
Insane Embellisher

i bought the vinyl from the video for .31cents, and they seem to be working great.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 07:30 PM   #7  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This has been a problem since SU started with the clear stamps. Recently, I have trimmed the sticker that comes with the stamps. I trim around the edge as much as possible and also the open areas. This helps but you have to carefully remove the cling from the backing to place on the stamp.

SU is a good company so I don't understand why they haven't remedied this problem.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #8  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wish they would just go all the way to clear photopolymer!! One of the explanations SU! gave when they refused to go to clear was that they wouldn't be able to make good quality clear stamps - well, seems like they can't make good quality cling stamps either! At least, not 100% of the time, and then one has to do all kinds of stuff to them before they stick. I have had some luck trimming off the sticker to JUST the image parts, that way, some of the foam shows through, and helps it to stick to the block. I've done this to stickers even after I stuck them on already. I just carefully peeled it off and cut, and carefully stuck it back on.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 08:38 PM   #9  
Gallery Gazer

I just don't use the stickers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:07 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkyNachoView Post
I just don't use the stickers.
Me neither. And I don't usually have any trouble with them sticking. If I do, usually just wiping the back of it with a damp cloth or cleaning the block does the trick.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:14 AM   #11  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I wish they would just go all the way to clear photopolymer!! One of the explanations SU! gave when they refused to go to clear was that they wouldn't be able to make good quality clear stamps - well, seems like they can't make good quality cling stamps either! At least, not 100% of the time, and then one has to do all kinds of stuff to them before they stick. I have had some luck trimming off the sticker to JUST the image parts, that way, some of the foam shows through, and helps it to stick to the block. I've done this to stickers even after I stuck them on already. I just carefully peeled it off and cut, and carefully stuck it back on.
I for one don't care for clear. I will buy them if rubber is not available and I really like the image. And I think it is rather harsh to say they dont seem able to produce good quality cling stamps either. I do agree that they should just print the image onto the back of the stamp rather than monkeying around with the stickers that are more of a pain. I did try one sticker when they first came out, hated it and peeled it off. Never did use another sticker. I don't have problems with mine sticking unless the stamp or block is dirty, which is a easy fix.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 04:55 AM   #12  
Kookie Creator

Sometimes I just use repositionable tape on my block for the cling stamps. I cleans off easily.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #13  
Gallery Gazer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, that is annoying. I also use double sided tape; works great and lasts for many times.

My friend opts to not use the stickers but I like to see what I'm stamping... many stamps have a similar image and I would have the luck to grab the wrong one.

I love rubber so much better than clear that I dont mind the inconvenience. I do hope they get this improved though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 07:28 AM   #14  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I quit using the stickers after putting them on three sets - thank goodness they were my not my favorite sets, but some hostess/SAB sets. Most non-SU cling stamps don't come with a picture on the back anyway. I just consider the stickers an option, one that doesn't work for me.

Once they are on, they are on. Except that I managed to get mine off. Weird. I am currently transferring all of my stamps - clings and clears - to storage panels. When I opened these sets, the stickers were peeling off. Not a big surprise, I live in the most southernmost part of Florida and my new studio was getting very hot in the afternoons all summer, I even had some problems with my BG stamps sticking to the panels I had them stored on. So I think the heat loosened the glue in the stickers. In any case, they were peeling off anyway, so I figured I may as well finish the job and lo and behold the cling underneath was completely intact. No way anyone else can replicate this sticker removal method, unfortunately. Not even by sending them to me for a summer in my studio since by next summer I will have AC in there.

This sticker question comes up all the time. And I always say the same thing - some people have no trouble with them, some do and decide that the various work-arounds are worth having the stickers, and some decide to not use the stickers.

Many of the work-arounds are pretty simple, like using a tack glue or putting that cling vinyl on the blocks. I do get a little bit irked when people say "Clean your blocks and the sticker will work." My blocks are clean, I don't stamp with dirty blocks. And if they mean that the stickers will work if I keep my blocks absolutely and completely squeaky and pristine at all times, well, forget about it. That ain't happening. I'm not washing blocks over and over in the middle of working on a project.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:02 AM   #15  
ch
Mad Swapper

I have never had a problem with them sticking. I have bought cling stamps exclusively since they came out and have never had a problem. I do trim my stickers very close. This may help.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

I spread a fine layer of Tombo multi glue (don't over do it) and let it dry. Works like a charm.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM   #17  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If it weren't for the price difference and storage issues, I'd still be using wood mounted. Those work the best! I've kept some older sets on wood like Teeny Tiny Wishes, Lovely as a Tree and a couple of other 2-step sets.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 11:24 AM   #18  
Embossing Fanatic

The stickers ARE the problem, but isn't it a perk of the clear blocks that I can see what I'm doing? I don't think we should have to leave the stickers off, I also don't think SU would have to go to photopolymer to fix it. If they printed the images on the foam like Hero Arts does for example the problem would be solved.

I'm a big SU fan so I so find it odd that they haven't addressed this one (that and the color coach complaints which is a whole other thread, I know they have a justification for the colors not matching but it really isn't a good one). Even my demo says that she doesn't risk demo'ing the CM stamps because she would be too embarrassed if one fell off on her in the middle of stamping. That should be an indication of a problem.

Whew! I feel like I just got a big weight off my chest, lol!

Carrie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:14 PM   #19  
Embossing Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
i bought the vinyl from the video for .31cents, and they seem to be working great.
Which store(s) sell this vinyl?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 12:42 PM   #20  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYstamperView Post
I for one don't care for clear. I will buy them if rubber is not available and I really like the image. And I think it is rather harsh to say they dont seem able to produce good quality cling stamps either. I do agree that they should just print the image onto the back of the stamp rather than monkeying around with the stickers that are more of a pain. I did try one sticker when they first came out, hated it and peeled it off. Never did use another sticker. I don't have problems with mine sticking unless the stamp or block is dirty, which is a easy fix.

I should've clarified. When I said they can't make good quality cling stamps, I didn't mean the actual stamp/rubber part. Just the stickers/foam part. The rubber part is fine.

I was irritated because SU! said they would have quality-control issues with clear (photopolymer) stamps, yet when the cling (clear mount) stamps came out, there were STILL quality control issues!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:53 PM   #21  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by SophieLaFontaineView Post
I should've clarified. When I said they can't make good quality cling stamps, I didn't mean the actual stamp/rubber part. Just the stickers/foam part. The rubber part is fine.

I was irritated because SU! said they would have quality-control issues with clear (photopolymer) stamps, yet when the cling (clear mount) stamps came out, there were STILL quality control issues!
Gotcha. I am not really sure why the continue with the sticker thing anyways. Seems like it hasn't worked right from the get go and I know I read on here that they say to press down for a few seconds.. But in all seriousness, even though I am not usually in a hurry, the last thing I want to do is to press th stamp to the lock and count. I do wonder as far as the clear if they evaluated before the quality has improved. I know certain types of clear are much best than others.(not that I have alot to go by, since the only reason I buy any clear is the distress inks work well with them). Maybe they just don't want to venture into that market.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 01:56 PM   #22  
Glitter Guru

I have to say that I have some Hero Art stamps with the picture printed on the back that honestly are not as clingy as ones that don't have it. Maybe better than SU with the sticker, but not as good as just plain cling foam.

I was annoyed about the stickers for long time, but then I came to see them as an option SU was offering to those who wanted to use it. And even when they work, they're not so precise that you can completely toss your stamp positioner. I wouldn't trust them to do a 2-step stamp with total precision. But maybe that's just me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:34 PM   #23  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 76 Likes on 36 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoAnnaCView Post
Which store(s) sell this vinyl?
Any fabric store or I have also seen it at Wal Mart in the fabric section.

I use SU! Clear Mount Perfectly Placed Guides. They are made to help you with alignment of stamped images but I think they improve the stickablilty of the stamps themselves. You can find them on page 7, item number 121785, $5.95.
BUT they must be kept clean from all yuck, both the grids and the stamps themselves. Yuck is the number one enemy of non sticking clear mount stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:42 PM   #24  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joan BView Post
here's a video on one method to get them to stick. have not tried it but looks interesting.

My Stamp Lady Acrylic Blocks with Vinyl - YouTube
That is AWESOME...easy peasy and literally costs cents and there's no adhesive involved Thanks, Joan, for sharing this video info. I will give this a try. I get so frustrated when my cling-mounted stamps won't stick to my blocks grrrrrrrrrrrr LOL.........I've been tormented by this for years (should I admit that????)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 02:53 PM   #25  
Glitter Guru

If my clings weren't sticking to my blocks I would find it extremely tormenting. Hope the vinyl works for you. I've read quite a few positive posts about it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 03:57 PM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

I noticed that when Stamper's Anonymous started printing the image on the foam, they didn't stick as well as the ones with no image. Makes me wonder if anything other than just the foam cling material would be problematic.

I noticed some people saying they won't stick even though their blocks and/or stamps are clean. One of the main things that interferes with them sticking is the oil from your hands. So they can look perfectly clean, but have oil residue. When I'm having trouble, I use an alcohol swab (the little individually packaged wipes from the pharmacy section to use before injections) to quickly wipe the block and the stamp. Always works like a charm for me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-31-2012, 05:31 PM   #27  
Gallery Gazer

Quote:

Originally Posted by CholsteadView Post
The stickers ARE the problem, but isn't it a perk of the clear blocks that I can see what I'm doing?
I think that being able to "see what I'm doing" means different things to different crafters. For me, it's enough to see the outline of the foam shape. And honestly, the sticker wouldn't matter because I wouldn't be able to get it on accurately to have it be a true guide to my stamping. So for me, cling is better than WM because I can see through the block.

I agree about the hero arts clings not being so clingy, but Amuse prints their image on the foam, too, and those seem to be just fine (IMO).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:59 AM   #28  
Inking Addict

I just don't understand why having the image on the back is all that important anyway. If you place the image on the block, and it's straight, just make sure to keep the block straight. If you are trying to two-step or line something up just so, use the stamp-a-ma-jig. SU's cling works really well without the sticker. If all I'm doing is stamping an image on a blank piece of paper, why do I even need an image sticker. Back in the day where wooden stamps were king, I made plenty of mistakes. I have to say, I really don't make anymore mistakes now than I did then.

Fellow stampers, free yourselves from image sticker bondage!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:50 PM   #29  
Insane Embellisher

Quote:

Originally Posted by monkeygirl59View Post
I just don't understand why having the image on the back is all that important anyway. If you place the image on the block, and it's straight, just make sure to keep the block straight. If you are trying to two-step or line something up just so, use the stamp-a-ma-jig. SU's cling works really well without the sticker. If all I'm doing is stamping an image on a blank piece of paper, why do I even need an image sticker. Back in the day where wooden stamps were king, I made plenty of mistakes. I have to say, I really don't make anymore mistakes now than I did then.

Fellow stampers, free yourselves from image sticker bondage!!!
I work with more than one stamp set at a time, I would get sets and stamps all messed up. I don't use the sticker so much for stamping as for keeping track of the stamps in the set.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 03:58 PM   #30  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crafter 4 LifeView Post
This has been a problem since SU started with the clear stamps. Recently, I have trimmed the sticker that comes with the stamps. I trim around the edge as much as possible and also the open areas. This helps but you have to carefully remove the cling from the backing to place on the stamp.

SU is a good company so I don't understand why they haven't remedied this problem.
This method makes a big difference!! The last few sets I purchased, I have done this with and have not had a single problem with cling. Now, should I have to take that extra step to get their product to work as advertised? I think not! As others have mentioned, resorting to tips and tricks should not be necessary to use the product.

Jutta
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmcgraw01View Post
I work with more than one stamp set at a time, I would get sets and stamps all messed up. I don't use the sticker so much for stamping as for keeping track of the stamps in the set.
That's how I have always used them. I take the sheet of stickers and put it under the plastic at the back of the case. Then I can check and see if I have all my stamps.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-01-2013, 04:28 PM   #32  
Stazon Splitcoast

I'm defintely going to view the video. Thanks Joan. I haven't tried trimming the sticker but that seems like the easiest solution.

Previous threads suggested using Aleene's Tacvk It Over and Over and that has worked very well for me. I have only had to apply it once, not each time I use the stamp. The only disadvantage it it is a bit sticky and messy.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 AM   #33  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I have never had a problem with them not sticking. Wonder if it makes a difference where you live, as in how dry or humid it is around you.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #34  
Glitter Guru

Some people don't seem to. And the question of whether humidity is the deciding factor has been raised often.

If anyone wants to do an informal poll:

I had problems and I live in a very humid environment.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 AM   #35  
Kookie Creator

Thank you for the video! I will be buying some of that vinyl! I like seeing what I'm stamping too.
Reply With Quote Likes