Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #1  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ink Question

It has probably been asked before, and I have tried to search out some info, but wasn't satisfied ....
I use mostly digital stamps - so obviously I am printing them out and using them that way.
I have an Inkjet printer that just doesn't seem to be have well when doing this.
Is it the printer/ink that is causing the smearing ? OR - is it the type of medium I am using to color with ?
(Spectrum Noirs, Tombows and Prisma Pencils)

I have a feeling it is a combo ....
:(
Any help would be GREAT *
( Im such a newbie )
Thanks in advance
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #2  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Hi! Inkjet digi's tend to smear right after printing because the printer ink is still wet. If your fast you can heat emboss your image. If you don't want to go that route what a lot of digi users do is print a bunch of images and wait a day for them to dry. A lot of digi girls use a laser printer.

What I have noticed is that Inkjet digi's smear when using alcohol markers- Spectrum Noirs, Copics, Prismas, Sharpies & Bics. If I remember correctly laser printer users can use their alcohol markers with their digi images.

I usually wait a day for my images to dry. I can color just fine using my Prisma Pencils. I have not tried my waterbase markers like Tombow for digi images. I have watercolored my images before but I did print them out on watercolor paper.

Also the type of paper you use will help prevent smearing. I have no paper recommendations. I usually play with what works best. What I have noticed humidity in my area also effects if my images will be smeared or not.

Setting the printer to print in a normal mode or even low mode will get you faster drying images. Setting it at a higher mode will cause smearing.

Hope that helps.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 AM   #3  
Embossing Fanatic

Thanks so much for the reply and info DeeAnn , I truly appreciate it.

It looks like I might have to consider a laser printer ....
The Prisma pencils seem to be WAY more forgiving as far as smudges go, and I enjoy using them. I have also become a new fan of Tombows. I have watercolor paper, I just need to be sure I have allowed for the dry time I guess.

Happy New Year !
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #4  
Embossing Fanatic

Has anyone tried this product ?

GHIANT INKJET FIXER

Quick drying and protective fixative spray for inkjet inks, for a clear and even, non-yellowing and odourless finish. Drying time is approximately 10 minutes. For best results leave to dry for several hours. Suitable for use on all types of paper and film but testing in advance is recommended.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Received 1,122 Likes on 505 Posts

I have a Canon inkjet printer and I don't have trouble with ink bleeding or smearing either - I've even painted with watery acrylic paints over the ink and it didn't move at all.
Vincent Van Gogh

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 11:28 PM   #6  
Die Cut Diva

I just replaced my HP printer. She was a smearing nightmare. I had a Canon printer before but I never printed digi's on her. I do remember the drying time was fast. I did use it to print photos. I loved my Canon. I just got an Epson for Christmas. I have not printed any digi's with her since I just got it. HP was a nightmare for smearing.

I guess brand of printer does matter for the smearing. I wonder if the higher end HP's don't smear? Now, you got me thinking geek stuff, lol. I don't want another HP printer.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:14 AM   #7  
Embossing Fanatic

Ack- is there no happy medium ?
:(

I have an HP , and it wasnt cheap ... And it is a smear-fest when it comes to digis.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 10:57 AM   #8  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use a Canon and don't have any problems with smearing. Another thing to consider with your printer is how well it takes cardstock. My Canon (MP560) has a rear feed tray so the cardstock isn't being bent back around rollers to feed it through the printer. Makes a big difference with heavy cardstock. I often us 200# for boxes and haven't had any problems with it jamming when I use the rear feed.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #9  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by galeView Post
I didn't have copics back when I had an epson printer, but I never had problems with it smearing with watercolors. Most epson printers use pigment inks (which is why they often have problems with heads clogging) and I think those are generally waterproof.
Thank you for the tip about the Epson printer. I haven't printed any digi's yet with it since I just got it for X-mas. The only thing I have printed was cat food coupons, lol. I will definitely watch the printer heads for clogging.

It sounds like the general concession for digi's/printers is the Canon rocks. HP is terrible. :(

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-09-2013, 04:55 PM   #10  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

I just took a Copics online class with Sandy Allnock and we had to print out images to color on our printers. I have an HP inkjet, and the ink bled with the Copics even if I let the ink dry. :(

Since I'm using 99% stamped and not digi images, it's not a problem but I just wanted to share this info in case it helps.

I know you can use only clear embossing powder with images you're coloring with Copics.

Maybe for my next online Copics class when I have to print out images I'll try to emboss them with clear embossing powder and see if that stops my inkjet ink from smearing.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 01-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I have an HP and when I made the switch to "fast draft" in the printer settings the smearing stopped for me. I suppose it uses less ink?
Reply With Quote Likes