View Single Post
Old 12-28-2012, 06:47 PM   #1571
Englishrose
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy otter View Post
On the subject of things i get obsessed with, I finally finished Michener's Alaska novel. All 1089 pages with really teeny print. The end was not what I expected. Really great job on the history though, based on everything else I've read or saw on the trip.

When I wrote my senior thesis on frontier development, my advisor made me read Coming into the Country, absolutely awesome book about Alaska by John McPhee, author I passionately love. I went on to read almost all of McPhee's books. So I picked up Coming into the Country again to re-read it at 51 as opposed to 18--I guess I'll see if my English teacher's point about books being very different when you read them at different ages holds for nonfiction as well as fiction. I guess I'm not ready to stop reading about Alaska yet.

That book just hit me so hard when I read it in college--it was written in 1976, so pretty recent when I first inhaled it. It will be interesting to read about Anchorage and the bush areas of the state from a point of view of having been there 36 years later. I actually bought a big trade paperback copy of the book when I worked for a bookstore here about 18 years ago because my old mass market paperback from college was so chewed up and falling apart by then so it will be nice to read a book that doesn't have teeny print this time.

Although I can still read even the teeny print without reading glasses, a cause of annual profound irritation to my opthamologist. I guess that's a good thing since one of the things I love most about living on my own is curling up on the sofa with a good book and Molly's nose on my shoulder.
I read Hawaii, Chesapeake, Space and Texas by him. They took forever to read but so well written that I couldn't put them down.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!