Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #1  
Matboard Maniac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mixed bunch problems

I've been trying to stamp using the more solid image from that set. I have the clear block set. I can not get a good image no matter what I try. I'm using rich razzleberry...not the new pads...I've used markers on the stamp, blender pen, brayer, laying the paper on the stamp and press. I'm trying to stamp on naturals ivory cs. The image is HORRIBLE and I have no idea what else to do. I've already embossed using two different layers with different embossing folders and several other layers, everything except stamping and punching that one flower. I truly have a headache from it. I've been working on it for an hour! S.O.S. HELP!! I refuse to give up lol
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:24 PM   #2  
Rubber Obsessor

Did you try rubbing the (clean) stamp all over with an eraser, then stamping? It cleans manufacturing residue off the rubber completely and roughens the smooth surface just a TEENY bit, but enough so that the ink clings better and results in a cleaner image. I do it to all my solid image stamps now, it really works. It was some well-known demo who posted a video about it a while back, but I can't remember her name.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #3  
Matboard Maniac

No I haven't tried that, but I definitely will! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #4  
Matboard Maniac

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure you are stamping on good paper and sometimes you can ink your stamp in Versa mark and then the colored ink. I had the same problem with the same stamps. Once I tried different things I was satisfied.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #5  
Matboard Maniac

I'm using stampin up card stock, so that's not an issue. I haven't tried the versa mark though. Thanks
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 09:41 PM   #6  
Mad Swapper

I sometimes have trouble stamping on the Naturals White or Vanilla CS. It seems to be a bit different than regular CS. Can you try stamping on Very Vanilla as it is a much smoother finish?

My Gallery
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:50 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sometimes letting the stamp stay in contact with the paper a second or two longer also helps the ink absorb into the paper and make a better solid image.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:35 AM   #8  
Stampin' Fool

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used wax paper to rub off residues on my stamp, never heard of eraser but i will most def try - thank you for the tip!
Card for a Cause / RMH Swap
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #9  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbpView Post
I sometimes have trouble stamping on the Naturals White or Vanilla CS. It seems to be a bit different than regular CS. Can you try stamping on Very Vanilla as it is a much smoother finish?
True, the Naturals are not as smooth as VV or WW
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 06:59 AM   #10  
Rubber Obsessor

Quote:

Originally Posted by cat_womanView Post
Sometimes letting the stamp stay in contact with the paper a second or two longer also helps the ink absorb into the paper and make a better solid image.
I do this without even thinking any more... good advice!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 01:45 PM   #11  
Forum Fanatic

Hi! Got this advice when I was first learning to stamp - didn't understand how it would work till I tried it and now I use the method all the time. You need a softer surface - not a hard surface to stamp on. - to explain....You need a solid, even desktop/countertop as a base so that you can apply the full pressure of the stamp but on it lay a softer surface, like a foam sheet or a magazine then lay down your cardstock and stamp.

Here's what I mean by foam sheets: Fibre Craft 5-1/2''x8-1/2'' Foam Sheets - 50PK/Rainbow*: foam & foamies*: kids & teachers*: *Shop | Joann.com

The "softer" surface allows the entire stamp to make contact with your cardstock. I use this method ALL the time especially with solid stamps, large stamps, fine detailed stamps or when stamping for a particularly important event. It works...

In the early days, there was a stamp company, who was among the early cling stamps manufacturers - very shallow imprint and very fine detail, that included a piece of foam sheet with all of their sets and also gave this advice - it worked!....I get the clearest impressions and fullest impressions when using this technique....(along with the advice given earlier about priming the stamp with an eraser or very fine grit sandpaper so that it holds the ink).

Give it a try - nothing to lose! good luck!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #12  
Matboard Maniac

Thanks I'll have to check into the foam. I stamped it on very vanilla on a phone book and got a better result. It was still nowhere what it should have been. I've ordered the new stamp pads, so I'm curious to see if that will make a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #13  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a challenging stamp. It's really solid, but the petals have those skinny openings. I had problems with it myself. Either you get an incomplete image or the skinny openings close up.

I was using a new pad and it was too juicy, and it drove me crazy until I patted it down with a paper towel. That helped a lot. I'll be curious to see how you find using the new pads with it.

Definitely try the Versamark and then your SU ink on top, or maybe another type of ink. A chalk or pigment ink. Or Versafine (not to be confused with Versamark).

I use the Darice foam pads myself to stamp on:

Amazon.com: Darice RubberStamping Surface Mat: Arts, Crafts & Sewing

I cut mine in half. They're pretty big.

Don't give up. It's a nice stamp. Let us know how it's going. Can you post pictures of the images you have gotten?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 07:31 AM   #14  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 785 Likes on 321 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by mommyto3View Post
I've been trying to stamp using the more solid image from that set. I have the clear block set. I can not get a good image no matter what I try. I'm using rich razzleberry...not the new pads...I've used markers on the stamp, blender pen, brayer, laying the paper on the stamp and press. I'm trying to stamp on naturals ivory cs. The image is HORRIBLE and I have no idea what else to do. I've already embossed using two different layers with different embossing folders and several other layers, everything except stamping and punching that one flower. I truly have a headache from it. I've been working on it for an hour! S.O.S. HELP!! I refuse to give up lol
I have that stamp set too and use it a lot , I love it. That solid image stamps best on whisper white with the new SU foam pads. I always get a good crisp image that way. VV doesn't give me quite the same outcome.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #15  
Matboard Maniac

I haven't tried it with a new stamp pad, but I have a feeling that will make a difference.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:00 PM   #16  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

I keep a mouse pad nearby and place the CS I'm stamping on over it. The slight cushion helps with a better inked image.

Wanda Cullen ~ Dirty Dozen Alumni, On design team for Papertrey Ink, Designer for Color Throwdown and Fusion Card Challenges Cullen-ary Creations[/URL]...my blog HERE'S MY GALLERY[/URL]

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-29-2012, 06:43 PM   #17  
Stampin' Fool

It sounds like you've tried everything possible to get a clean image; I think it's your paper. I tried and tried a year or two ago to get a good "solid" image on Naturals Ivory card stock using the "Dasher" stamp. His body is all solid and I just could NOT get a good image no matter what I tried. UNTIL....I used Very Vanilla instead. Either the Very Vanilla or the Whisper White will give you a better image than the "naturals" card stocks.
The super smooth finish helps the ink to "fill in" better or something. If you hold a piece of each in your hands you can feel the difference.

Most of the time it doesn't matter to me if the stamped image isn't "Perfect". But when using a stamp with a lot of "solid" surfaces it DOES matter for me, and I've found using a very smooth, quality card stock to be the only way to get an image I like. Good luck.
Reply With Quote Likes