Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-18-2012, 03:33 AM   #1  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 501 Likes on 222 Posts
Default Grrrr...it's my pet peeve...

What's yours?

There's some things that just make me say "grrrrr"... like misspellings on stamps. But this time of year it's:

Snowflakes.

There. I've said it.

Snowflakes have six...count 'em...SIX points (or whatever you call them). Not eight.

I won't even take a second look at any stamps, embossing folders, dies, punches, or anything else that has snowflakes with anything other than SIX points.

So. I've confessed my pet peeve. I'm giving you a chance to confess yours. I may add to my list!
I'll stand with arms high and heart abandoned,
in awe of the One who gave it all.
I'll stand, my soul, Lord, to You surrendered,
all I am is Yours.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:38 AM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Splitcoast Challenge Host

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by fionna51View Post
What's yours?

There's some things that just make me say "grrrrr"... like misspellings on stamps. But this time of year it's:

Snowflakes.

There. I've said it.

Snowflakes have six...count 'em...SIX points (or whatever you call them). Not eight.

I won't even take a second look at any stamps, embossing folders, dies, punches, or anything else that has snowflakes with anything other than SIX points.

So. I've confessed my pet peeve. I'm giving you a chance to confess yours. I may add to my list!
LMAO! :mrgreen: SERIOUSLY??? I had NO IDEA... does that blow the theory of no 2 snowflakes are the same??? ;)
I just LOVE Snowflake stamps/dies/punches ANYTHING... It can have 4 points shoot I don't care!!! LOL

Here is mine, EVIL pointy noses and squinty eyes... :shock: BLECH!!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

Misspellings on anything make me cringe; but if I'm paying money for a product, the words had better be spelled and used correctly. Otherwise, I'll be needing my money refunded. Mistakes happen, but I'm not paying for them.

Another thing that drives me crazy in the "crafting world" is products that don't have any instructions explaining how they work. Martha Stewart products are notorious for this - especially the ones that are demonstrated on HSN. They do all these fabulous things with punches, etc.; and then, when you get the products, you have no clue how to make what you saw. And no, I don't want to play detective and hunt the directions down on their website or the rest of the Internet.

OK, I'm stepping off my soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Diane, you are a woman after my own heart! I also die a little inside when I see eight-pointed "snowflakes".

Because if it has 8 points or 5 points or 4 points, it's not a snowflake. It's a star! I'll still use the stamps if I like them, but I won't use them with a snow saying. (KelliJo - there's an actual scientific reason why they have six points only, it has to do with the bonds between the hydrogen and oxygen atoms in the water. Supposedly no two are the same, but how would anyone prove it? There's no way to physically look at every snowflake that falls!)

And along with my snowflake issues , I agree with the misspelled and mis-used words. But the one thing that absolutely sets my teeth on edge is random apostrophes where they don't belong. Apostrophes are for contractions and to show possession, not because you made a word plural and the S looks kind of lonely there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 AM   #5  
Die Cut Diva

I have to say that I believed that every snowflake was unique and could have as many points as it felt like. But then...I believe Santa Claus!

Now in my world a star has to have five points.

Bonnie
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:26 AM   #6  
Hardware Hotshot

I get frustrated when I am looking for an idea or inspiration just something to jump start what I am doing I find something neat, it has a link for their blog for more info, but when you click on it it doesn't take you to that project. You have to search the blog. Also searching in the gallery here lately has been a bit of a bear too.

In the non crafting world: When people leave big gaps at a red light or not paying attention when the light turns green. Misspelling or even mispronouncing someones name even if it is a tough name not taking the time to really learn it. And when someone says pizza pie, instead of just pizza.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 AM   #7  
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

If you want my one that's relevant for this time of year, it's the misuse of the Twelve Days of Christmas! They are the twelve days between Christmas and the day before Epiphany, not a random twelve days in the lead-up to Christmas for uploading fun Christmas projects. Shakespeare's Twelfth Night was written as an entertainment for the end of the Christmas season, not a mid-Advent event.
I'm with everybody else on the bad spelling and grammar .
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:58 AM   #8  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When people spell Memento ink as Momento. I don't know why but it really bugs me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:12 AM   #9  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Larger, complex snowflakes are all different. The number of possible ways of making a complex snowflake is staggeringly large. To see just how much so, consider a simpler question -- how many ways can you arrange 15 books on your bookshelf? Well, there's 15 choices for the first book, 14 for the second, 13 for the third, etc. Multiply it out and there are over a trillion ways to arrange just 15 books. With a hundred books, the number of possible arrangements goes up to just under 10158 (that's a 1 followed by 158 zeros). That number is about 1070 times larger than the total number of atoms in the entire universe!
Now when you look at a complex snow crystal, you can often pick out a hundred separate features if you look closely. Since all those features could have grown differently, or ended up in slightly different places, the math is similar to that with the books. Thus the number of ways to make a complex snow crystal is absolutely huge.
And thus it's unlikely that any two complex snow crystals, out of all those made over the entire history of the planet, have ever looked completely alike.

That's what CalTech has to say about the complex snow crystals we all call snowflakes. Note that the "10158 in the excerpt above is 10 to the 158th power. It didn't transfer properly.

I love snowflakes. I have a whole screensaver of them. Enjoy this beauty:

Cheryl...you're right. The shape of the molecules of water, plus the unique characteristics of it are what allows the snowflake to form in the first place, and to be the shape it is in the second place.
all I am is Yours.

Last edited by fionna51; 12-18-2012 at 06:17 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 07:37 AM   #10  
Splitcoast Challenge Host

HA! I'm SO not posting here anymore because I am the WORST with grammar and punctuation! Spelling is about a 50/50 darn red lines I have come to LOVE them! I also LOVE my !!!!!!! :mrgreen:

Sorry if that is like fingernails on a chalkboard! :mrgreen:

AWESOME information about the snowflake though!!! I DO like to learn new things!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:08 AM   #11  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

A woman after my own heart Diane, I have never bought a "snowflake" image with anything other than six points (although I confess to having used one that was in a DT package) and am always amazed that people don't know that a snowflake can only have six points, to me it seems like one of those facts you get taught in elementary school! Likewise, I'm bothered by nature images that are wrong - insects with eight legs, spiders with six etc.

I'm a proofreader in my day job - as other have said, if I'm paying for a sentiment stamp it had better be correct in terms of spelling and grammar. I have no problem at all with typos online in forums etc, different kettle of fish as far as I'm concerned!

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:46 AM   #12  
Crimping Master

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Unattributed quotations! Foreign language things without translations (especially Asian characters). Put it on the packaging -- it's not that hard. (Can you tell I'm an English major?)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:06 AM   #13  
Polyshrink Goddess

my pet peeve, around this time of the year, are stamps of menorahs that have only 7 candle holders. A chanukah menorah is supposed to have 9! 8 to represent the miracle and 1 helper candle to light all the others! Oh and i like to spell chanukah this way not with an H. I feel better now that ive vented.

Edited to add - oh also, all the blue and white only items for chanukah. I love blue and white just as much as the next gal but other colors are nice too!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:08 AM   #14  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

I'm the same way, so many companies ruin a set for me with 8 pointed snowflakes in them. Embossing folders are guilty too. And I've never seen a snowflake in real life either.

Another thing for me is birdhouses, we have a wildlife center near us with some birdhouse kits we bought. Birdhouses should not be painted or stained (toxic for the birds) and the hole should be high up and sized for particular birds. Also, they should not have that little stick/perch on them-too easy for predators. Admittedly they aren't as cute that way, but safety first I say.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #15  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ladies! The things I learn in the forum never cease to amaze me. Six points, who knew? And I may be a bit afraid to post in the future....with all the intelligent people, not to mention grammar and spelling checkers
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #16  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
And I may be a bit afraid to post in the future....with all the intelligent people, not to mention grammar and spelling checkers
Oh, I don't care how you choose to use your apostrophes and spellings in a forum post. Because I know that I use way too many parentheses and dashes and don't always watch my spelling the way I should But if someone expects me to shell out my hard-earned money for a set of stamps, those words and punctuation had better be correct!

Same goes for people with money-making blogs. If you have a blog just to show off what you've done, as long as it's not completely unreadable, I do not care if you misspell words or use goofy punctuation, or if every 3rd word is something like "amazeballs" or "totes fab". If the purpose of your blog is to entice me to purchase your line of crafting items, then I expect that you will take the time to spell correctly and use grown-up language - and stop saying "literally" when you mean "virtually"
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM   #17  
Kookie Creator

Those awful images/stamps of people with no mouths, they look like hippos and the ones of people with really wide legs.

Ruth
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM   #18  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, my new pet peeve is sort of craft related. I like to use pinterest to hunt for inspiration a lot these days and what really really bugs me are those pins that have a whole column of photos in it. Those ones where they put all the pictures for a tutorial into one long photo. It just means I have to scroll down to the bottom of that pin and wait for all the other pins to load and then scroll back up too see the pins. I have a fast internet connection and a fast computer and it takes a few seconds, but I can imagine how long it would take if you were on a slow dial-up connection, so I feel bad for the people on a slow connection.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:04 PM   #19  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm with Cheryl. Literally means literally.

Meow is kind of like Aloha. It can mean anything.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by edie453View Post
Thanks Ladies! The things I learn in the forum never cease to amaze me. Six points, who knew?
Same here! And same goes for the menorah - didn't know that either!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 01:33 PM   #21  
Glitter Guru

Stamp companies that misname their flowers. If it is supposed to be a real flower, maker sure it's the correct one! There are at least two companies that have collection of different flowers where one flower is misnamed. The flower name is part of the stamp. I cannot buy the stamps!

"If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.�
― Spider Robinson
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:01 PM   #22  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My pet peeve goes with those who post a card with no details or say check my blog and there are no details there either. As one who is kinda new to this it helps to know what products were used.

Misspellings, oh yeah. Just don't look to closely at my comments, please.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #23  
Pearl-ExPert

Music stuff illustrated incorrectly! Note stems (and flags if they are eighth notes or smaller) have a VERY specific direction depending on where on the staff they are sitting! Also, just stand-alone notes have rules too: notes with stems up are on the right and stems down are on the left. Don't even get me started about cramming a bunch of different notes with varying values into one measure - that's the next level. hahahaha
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:00 PM   #24  
Die Cut Diva

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

When people type or print or create the word your when it should be you're. It just drives me nuts!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 04:31 PM   #25  
Crimping Master

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by CinnistewView Post
When people spell Memento ink as Momento. I don't know why but it really bugs me.
Oooooh, I am so guilty of this:oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #26  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 291 Likes on 115 Posts

Well, we're a testy bunch, aren't we? Grammar missteps and such bother me when it matters, less so when it doesn't. I agree with others here who don't love mouthless people or incorrect flora and fauna (and crystals - ice or otherwise!) I have a really low tolerance for stupidity. If you're uneducated on a particular subject, that's okay - you can be taught. If you're just stoopid, I have issues... (especially people whose brains go on vacation when they get in their car). Another thing that mystifies me is how easily people take offense to remarks in any given thread in any of the forums - does it matter so much, really? Move along, move along...

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:24 PM   #27  
Rubber Obsessor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Defiantly

This isn't craft related but my pet peeve is people who use defiantly for definitely.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:42 PM   #28  
Rubber Obsessor

Thank you Diane! I too am a "snowflake purist" of sorts. I cannot bring myself to buy the eight-pointed snowflake stamps. I was all ready to buy SU's Snowflake Soiree until I counted. I have the same problem with the insect and spider leg count. I also would like to know what the translation of foreign language stamps is. I have a French text background stamp which I always worry I'm using improperly. I'd feel bad if I was using it on a wedding card, thinking it spoke of love and marriage, and it was, in fact, just some random text about the countryside.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 06:48 PM   #29  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I get a good laugh when people type 'cleaver' instead of 'clever'. I love saying "I'm so cleaver!". (snort) Makes me feel like I should go hack up some meat or something.

My gallery

My Blog: Just Stampin' with Joanne
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 PM   #30  
Matboard Maniac

Last year I bought the SU! Northern Frost die that has a strip of snowflakes because I was at a SU! event and felt I had to buy something. I put it away and just got it out yesterday to cut some snowflakes. Yes, I was dismayed to see that they all have eight points. I hadn't noticed before. Nuts! And yes, apostrophes in the wrong place bug me, too. And the misuse of I and me--"The gift is from Joe and I." Grrrrr! That really bugs me. I guess I do feel testy tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:56 PM   #31  
Proud Fan Club Member

Received 1,716 Likes on 649 Posts

I absolutely hate it when people abbreviate Christmas to xmas. It ruins the card for me.

Thanks for letting me vent about that at this Christmas time of year.

Shirl
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 10:09 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
But the one thing that absolutely sets my teeth on edge is random apostrophes where they don't belong. Apostrophes are for contractions and to show possession, not because you made a word plural and the S looks kind of lonely there.
This really bugs me too. I used to work with a woman who would write things like "uniform color's for the week" .

I also won't buy stamp sets depicting penguins at the north pole. They live at the south pole.

Join us for VSN - Frozen
Mini Nov 7, Main Dec 12 & 13.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:33 PM   #33  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbetView Post
Apostrophes are for contractions and to show possession, not because you made a word plural and the S looks kind of lonely there.
You are my hero. This deserves a Nobel Peace Prize... keeping the grammatical peace!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-18-2012, 11:55 PM   #34  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

The problem with some grammatical things is the rules change. I was taught to say "the gift is from Joe and I" as a child, not from "me and Joe" or " Joe and me". I can't keep up with the rules.

As for things that bug me....I love snowflakes no matter the points, stars have 5 points, saying Xmas is never acceptable, penguins belong with Santa at the North Pole, but not a fan of the people with no faces, they creep me out.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #35  
Stazon Splitcoast

I was taught to say, "Bob and I bought a gift" but also to say "The gift is from Bob and me." I had grammarians for parents. Even so, it took me until high school to realize that if it's another name coupled with myself, the pronoun is not automatically "I." I have a feeling that a lot of kids were like me. They didn't get that just because it's correct to say "Bob and I did" doesn't mean that it translates the other way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 12:50 AM   #36  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 292 Likes on 127 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by bound4londonView Post
The problem with some grammatical things is the rules change. I was taught to say "the gift is from Joe and I" as a child, not from "me and Joe" or " Joe and me".
The rule didn't change; maybe you just didn't get taught the whole thing. The check on this one is to imagine it's just you in the sentence - can you use "I" or should it be "me"? Although you'd say "I gave the gift" you wouldn't say "The gift was from I". Keep the appropriate form when you add somebody else to the sentence (so "Joe and I gave the gift" but "The gift was from Joe and me").

Sorry, not meaning to hijack... back to our scheduled craft peeves ;)

My blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:14 AM   #37  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by KelliJoView Post
HA! I'm SO not posting here anymore because I am the WORST with grammar and punctuation! Spelling is about a 50/50 darn red lines I have come to LOVE them! I also LOVE my !!!!!!! :mrgreen:
Add me to the not posting here any more. I am dyslexic. I was so nervous posting at forums the first time because I am dyslexic. I really thought I would get teased. Posting has helped a lot with my dyslexia. I know a lot of dyslexics do not post because they fear ridicule from the grammar police.

Craft pet peeves-

Expensive craft tools that do not work.

Too many stamp companies all getting on the same trends. I really do understand because it's a marketing strategy. My favorite companies usually keep the trends to a minimal and stay with their style. I love trends but in smaller doses.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:19 AM   #38  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
Music stuff illustrated incorrectly! Note stems (and flags if they are eighth notes or smaller) have a VERY specific direction depending on where on the staff they are sitting! Also, just stand-alone notes have rules too: notes with stems up are on the right and stems down are on the left. Don't even get me started about cramming a bunch of different notes with varying values into one measure - that's the next level. hahahaha
Ahh, Tobi...this one will have to go in my number 2 spot after the snowflakes. Makes me want to go aaaarrrrrgggghhhh!
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:24 AM   #39  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by lylacfeyView Post
Too many stamp companies all getting on the same trends. I really do understand because it's a marketing strategy. My favorite companies usually keep the trends to a minimal and stay with their style. I love trends but in smaller doses.
I'm with you, DeeAnn...and my OCD would make me have to search out the Very Best in that trend before I would buy it. Then my budget would have its say and I wouldn't get ANY of them! :rolleyes:
all I am is Yours.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-19-2012, 02:33 AM   #40  
Stazon Splitcoast

In my opinion, message forum posts and personal emails are like notes passed in school. As long as the recipient(s) can read them, they're good.

Although, I do have a particular abhorrence for text speak in message posts. I can read it, so I try not to cringe, but man...
Reply With Quote Likes