Thread: It's art
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 08:56 AM   #42
inkerzaway
Stazon Splitcoast

Location: St. Louis metro area (IL side...the "other" O'Fallon!)

wow, Rachelrose....what a great and profound post! I agree with you and have loved reading all of the comments in the this thread as well. I am not a great artisit but I love stamping and nothing can compare with the feeling of how excited I get when I make a card with which I am really pleased! I have some friends and relatives who tell me that they save every card I send them because they love them and that absolutely touches my heart and makes me tear up! Others roll their eyes in the "get a life!" expression and I figure those people just don't get it but I'm not going to let it bother me!

In past years I have done other crafting mediums (crocheting, tole painting, etc) which have fallen by the wayside but stamping just touched me heart and I love it! My youngest will graduate from a 5 year college program this spring and I started stamping the year he started 2nd grade so this one has lasted a while! lol!

As for those who look down their nose and hand crafted art and say, "oh, it's homemade" I always smile and tell them, "homemade is for chocolate chip cookies, this is a hand crafted art work!" I used to volunteer at an assisted living center helping the residents make greeting cards....one day one of the first time stampers finished a birthday card and said, "there! That will save me $1 at WalMart!" and I told her, "honey, that's a one of a kind piece of art! They couldn't buy it at any price at WalMart!" and she walked back to her room with her card saying, "yea, a one of a kind piece of art, how about that?" Oh how I love it when a new stamper "gets her wings"! I find that teaching others to get fired up about creating handmade cards (not "homemade"!) is just as inspiring to me as when I come up with a good idea and make a card that I love!

Thank you for your eloquently put reminder that our stamping IS an expression of art!