Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #1  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What is the most you would spend on an embellishment for a card?

Embellishments are so expensive! Especially those gorgeous Prima flowers, fancy lace trims, and now flair buttons. I just can't bring myself to pay a dollar or more for one embellishment for a card. I guess my limit is about 30 cents for an embellishment. What's your limit, or do you even have one?

Wild Rose Stamper blog
SCS gallery
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #2  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
Bionic ChatboxChick

Received 654 Likes on 412 Posts

well, I own a lot of tools... so I create a lot of mine... so, if you mean something along the lines of say a Jolee's layered thing... I tend to look at them and judge how long it would take me to make it more than, if I was willing to buy theirs... sometimes I think that I can make it more suit me better making my own with things I already have ( because I tend to buy what I like. ) if that makes sense. most premade things the papers do not "go with" my style or tastes...

so its not a matter how much money for me but, rather how much time do you have?
for a special person I don't look at the clock.

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 07:04 PM   #3  
Die Cut Diva

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm like Stacy and I like to make most of my embellishments. I have a cutting machine, so I do a lot of things with that (like my faux nesties & make all my faux prima flowers). The only thing I buy as far as embellishments lately is ribbon.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 09:38 PM   #4  
FiP
Kookie Creator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Maybe on a rare occasion I'd use 50c in embellishments, but normally it would be 20 - 30cents at the most. I seem to not be using purchased embellies much lately, apart from ribbon, if that counts!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #5  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

For me, I think a couple of yards of lace go a long way, so I don't mind spending money on that, and I have a few Prima flowers that I keep for super-special cards. More often, though, I'll make my own fancy flowers; goodness knows I have enough punches and dies to be able to do it. It does take more time, so as Stacy says, it's a trade-off against how much time I have.
What I have never brought myself to buy are those blingy and pearl flourishes - I think they look lovely, but too pricey for me. Since I tend only to use the more expensive embellishments for special people I don't think too much about the cost - on average it's more than offset by all the cards I don't use any on at all.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 01:31 AM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This thread made me think about how I am really a cheapskate - in life as well as cardmaking.

I want things to LOOK expensive, but not BE expensive.

So I am willing to spend an investment of time (which I have, since I am luckily retired) to make embellishments if I can.

I also am quite the bargain hunter, and always have my eye out for anything that can be used on cards, or other crafts.

I am always looking in the bargain aisles for supplies, and not just in the craft stores, but other places as well.

I've found some wonderful bargains on "bling" at Big Lots. I picked up several packages of self-stick rhinestones that were supposed to be used to decorate phones for 50 cents each. I'm sure they didn't sell because who on earth would want to take the time to cover a whole phone with teeny-tiny rhinestones! But I am still using them on my cards and have plenty left.

So I guess my answer to what I would spend on an embellishment for a card is: not too much, lol.

"Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible." Dalai Lama
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 03:33 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Received 369 Likes on 219 Posts

I also make most of my own embellishments, but I do have some that are store-bought. I don't spend much on those, and I buy them only when they're on sale. I'm not being snarky here, but I just don't get the whole "flair" thing. I've seen a package of 8 for $6+, and I just can't see myself spending that much money on little word/icon buttons.

Last edited by Scrapjanny; 12-03-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:15 PM   #8  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 39 Likes on 17 Posts

I only buy embellishments when they're on sale - and it's got to be a good sale! I have tons of lace, buttons, ribbon, pearls, gems, flowers, etc. and fancy embroidery thread. I'm do charted needlework and counted cross stitch, did every type of craft there was [this according to DH] and used to make all my and my daughter's clothes and I'm known for never throwing anything away!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:04 AM   #9  
Insane Embellisher

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

Many of the packaged brand name embellishments are quite expensive. A one-off for a very special card, perhaps, but I really do not want to spend more than 20 cents, or 30 at the most, on a card embellishment. I only buy if I see what I like on sale. Mind you, I am really lucky living where I do, as I can buy oodles of little Chinese style doodads very cheaply. These can look lovely on a card or a handmade notebook. Mindful of the fact that I will be going home one day, I have been stocking up. ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #10  
Pearl-ExPert

I have a lot of Prima embellishments and others along those lines (most scrapbook papers now come with a plethora of matching embellishments) and never really thought of the per/card cost! But looking at the latest card I posted I used one butterfly from a pack of 3 for $5.25, so I guess that's $1.75 each!
Tobi's Place: It's Crazy Around Here!

In my opinion, I can't make anything that would look like that. Or most of the fancy Prima flowers, for that matter! I'm not rolling in $$$, but I feel like as long as I use them (and not hoard them for years and years) it's ok! I will sell/give my cards away and it all works out in the end..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 11:07 AM   #11  
Polyshrink Goddess

I am probably in the minority here but I won't spend $1.00 on an embellishment but I don't think anything of spending $50 to make it myself! LOL!

I wanted to buy some purple buttons but they seemed pricey (can't remember how much) so instead, I ordered button molds through Etsy, bought several packages of polymer clay and some 2 part resin compound.

I still don't have the buttons because I don't have time to make them! LOL!

:-D Barbara
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:20 PM   #12  
Pearl-ExPert

I don't do it on a regular basis, but I know that I've occasionally picked up a package of embellishments where it works out to about 75 cents apiece. Even without those, if I use some ribbon, a felt flower that I cut, a brad or button for the flower, and those types of things, it can certainly add up.

I know that I'm more inclined to use my "pricier" items for a card when I know that the recipient is someone who enjoys and appreciates those touches.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #13  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

I'm another bargain shopper! And one thing I was thrilled to discover was the Nellie Snellen flower punch/embosser sets. With these, I can make my own "Primas" out of whatever I want (and metallic cs makes gorgeous flowers, btw!). They look fabulous, they have dimension, and you can punch a lot of flowers out of scrap.

Here's a card in my gallery using flowers made from the Nellie Snellens:
Mum's birthday card, version 2 by contrapat - Cards and Paper Crafts at Splitcoaststampers

I also load up when I find a great deal on bling, like clearance or a big sale or a %off discount.

To answer the original question, I'd be horrified to pay a buck for a single embellishment unless it was so outrageously perfect and it was for a landmark occasion, like a 50th wedding anniversary or something. Personally, I'm not going over 25 cents on an embellishment. I like to score deals on things like charms, rhinestones, ribbon, etc. on ebay. Getting 20 great charms for a buck is my kind of deal!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:29 PM   #14  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by buggainokView Post
This thread made me think about how I am really a cheapskate - in life as well as cardmaking.

So I am willing to spend an investment of time (which I have, since I am luckily retired) to make embellishments if I can.

I also am quite the bargain hunter, and always have my eye out for anything that can be used on cards, or other crafts.

I am always looking in the bargain aisles for supplies, and not just in the craft stores, but other places as well.

I've found some wonderful bargains on "bling" at Big Lots. I picked up several packages of self-stick rhinestones that were supposed to be used to decorate phones for 50 cents each. I'm sure they didn't sell because who on earth would want to take the time to cover a whole phone with teeny-tiny rhinestones! But I am still using them on my cards and have plenty left.

So I guess my answer to what I would spend on an embellishment for a card is: not too much, lol.
Bugga, are you SURE we're not related??? I, too, have a stock of rhinestones meant for decorating cell phones, I haunt Big Lots (and Tuesday Morning) for the cheap closeouts, and have gotten wonderful deals at the office stores on glitzy envelope seals, marvelous metallic cardstocks, and assorted other cool things that can be used for craft. Ever buy the flimsy plastic binders at back to school time for something like 25 cents, and then use them with your dies to make matchboxes and die cuts? (I LOVE the loss-leader back to school deals!)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 05:19 PM   #15  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

I don't usually use expensive embellishments. I love to create my own with paper, felt, cardboard, cork, fabric... and dies! Although, I have been known to buy expensive embellishments and NEVER use them because they were too expensive - LOL!!! I am sworn off that practice now though!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 04:06 AM   #16  
Hardware Hotshot

My extras are usually ribbon, rhinestones, pearls & buttons. Those are quite affordable. I also wouldn't pay more than 30 cents.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:11 AM   #17  
Stazon Splitcoast

I guess if I am completely honest a couple of hundred... that's if you add up the cost of ALL the supplies it took to make that embellishment ;)

But before I knew what I was doing I got into buying embellishments. I can't bring myself to use them for fear of them being thrown away. Guess I will have to start scrapbooking!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:31 AM   #18  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Quote:

I found similar paks of "rhinestones" at the Dollar Store awhile back and bought them out! I agree---even kids aren't going to put a bazillion rhinestones on their phones! Perfect for cards!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM   #19  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 76 Likes on 26 Posts

Ok---I'm thrifty too! Check out the Goodwill's, etc. especially for ribbon. Cheap cheap cheap!

I agree with other posters.........am always looking at EVERYONE'S clearance raks to see if they have anything that might go on a card!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-09-2012, 06:59 AM   #20  
Swapper of the Month - January 2014

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post
I am probably in the minority here but I won't spend $1.00 on an embellishment but I don't think anything of spending $50 to make it myself! LOL!

I wanted to buy some purple buttons but they seemed pricey (can't remember how much) so instead, I ordered button molds through Etsy, bought several packages of polymer clay and some 2 part resin compound.

Boy, what you said sure rang true for me. And I especially got a kick out of the fact that you haven't made them yet after you got all of the supplies LOLLLLLLL me too :rolleyes:

I love swaps (SCS swaps are awesome with great hostesses) and to resolve the issue, I make sure that at least some of the swaps that I join will REQUIRE me to use some of the supplies that I have sitting around that I've never used and this is working! For an example, I'm currently in an SCS polymer clay swap and a PAT swap and I'm using some of my never-used supplies for these and I'm having SO MUCH FUN 8-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:39 AM   #21  
Die Cut Diva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What an interesting question. I spend a lot on embellishments. Last week, for instance, one of our local craft store had stickers 1/2 off. I spent about $300 on them. For an individual item, I've been known to spend several dollars (up to 5?) with no specific person or card in mind. Just part of my addiction.

I also make my own sometimes.

I guess the thing for me is that embellishments can be inspiration. For instance, back to the stickers, I bought some Jolee's stickers that had woodland animals dressed up for Christmas (red and green scarves, hats, etc.). I matched that with a forest eb folder I have, stamped a sentiment and had a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:14 AM   #22  
Cardstock Collector

Default Embellishments

it doesn't matter, if I like it enough I will get it! I do try to go when they have sales.
Quote:

Originally Posted by binxView Post
What an interesting question. I spend a lot on embellishments. Last week, for instance, one of our local craft store had stickers 1/2 off. I spent about $300 on them. For an individual item, I've been known to spend several dollars (up to 5?) with no specific person or card in mind. Just part of my addiction.

I also make my own sometimes.

I guess the thing for me is that embellishments can be inspiration. For instance, back to the stickers, I bought some Jolee's stickers that had woodland animals dressed up for Christmas (red and green scarves, hats, etc.). I matched that with a forest eb folder I have, stamped a sentiment and had a card.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't buy unless I have at least a 40% off coupon, and hopefully it's 50%! But I always look at the Bargain places also. And twice a year, we go to a "dollar store" in Somerset KY that has a HUGE scrapbooking section. I always find a ton of stuff there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:26 AM   #24  
Matboard Maniac

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always try to remember that it is a CARD and most likely it will wind up in the trash at some point. Paper fades, it curls, it just wears out. No matter how great the card, there's always another birthday or anniversary for another card. Also, I think that one of the biggest reasons to make a card is the whole imagination and effort behind it. If you want it manufactured, go to Hallmark. With that in mind, I make as many of my embellishments as possible, with the exception of some crystal bling dots. And even there, I'll use Stickles etc as often as I can. It's about the cost, but also the creativity and how hard it might be to mail.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:07 AM   #25  
Matboard Maniac

I purchase my pearls at the dollar store and sometimes find other items there such as rhinestones, feathers and stickers. I make some of my flowers but I do order flowers from the UK at Wild Orchid Crafts, I have a sister who loves to go to garage sales every summer and I give her a list of the things I use. She has found me ribbons, Prismacolour pencils, Lace, Also embossing powders, glitter and numerous other things for next to nothing.... I also check out the sales at Michael's and sometimes find some embellishments at a decent price, so I stock up then.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #26  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy most of my embellishments at the dollar store. I don't have a local craft store, so it's a bit of a hike to Michaels, and I find their products really expensive anyway. I'll occasionally pick some up on clearance or when I have a coupon, but that's not often. And unfortunately, many online stores don't ship to Canada, or charge a fortune for shipping if they do.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #27  
Matboard Maniac

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

I am one of the neurotic cardmakers (not pointing fingers at anyone you understand, but glad I'm not alone) that will buy tools to make embellishments, spending more than I would have on a ton of store bought ones, thinking it would save money in the long run. The problem is newer, better, whiz bang tools always come along to entice me into another puchase. Then I rationalize it in all sorts of mind bending ways. My husband just says "go ahead and buy it" so he can get out of the store 5 minutes sooner LOL! When I am considering store bought trinkets I usually think in terms of ten to twenty cents per card unless it's special.

If someone asks me to make a card for them I will spend extra and put the money they pay into more extravagant supplies rather than for my time. There's no money to be made in the handmade card business unless you have multi-millionare clients.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:14 PM   #28  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzytobiView Post
I have a lot of Prima embellishments and others along those lines (most scrapbook papers now come with a plethora of matching embellishments) and never really thought of the per/card cost! But looking at the latest card I posted I used one butterfly from a pack of 3 for $5.25, so I guess that's $1.75 each!
Tobi's Place: It's Crazy Around Here!

In my opinion, I can't make anything that would look like that. Or most of the fancy Prima flowers, for that matter! I'm not rolling in $$$, but I feel like as long as I use them (and not hoard them for years and years) it's ok! I will sell/give my cards away and it all works out in the end..
Beautiful card Tobi. You are right about those Primas, some of them are just so beautiful and intricate it would be hard to duplicate. I unfortunately tend to hord the prettiest.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 PM   #29  
Kookie Creator

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

I am a "cheapie" also, I guess. When the new SU catalog comes out each time, I price the new embellishments per item so that I really know how much that cute little button is costing me and do I really want to put five of them on one card! I include tax and shipping so that it is the full price a customer would pay. I don't give customers that info, but it really helps me when I plan a card. I am currently only a hobbyist...no classes at all...so I need to know how much every inch of ribbon costs, etc. but I have always done this. Try it yourself. You will be surprised how much some of those wonderful embellishments really cost, even with the 20% discount (basically shipping and tax costs).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 08:12 PM   #30  
Insane Embellisher

Received 102 Likes on 78 Posts

Now, while I do stand by what I said earlier about usually only spending a little on any one embellishment, I am compelled to admit that I have spent a fortune on items such as dies and stamps and am forever stocking up on gorgeous paper, justifying it by the fact that i am buying them when they are on sale. If I were to sit down and divide the total I have spent on all supplies (reusable and non-), by the number of cards I have produced thus far, the cost per card may well be high enough to induce cardiac arrest! :o
So I am not going to ruin a perfectly lovely blue sky day by doing the calculation. A better solution, methinks, is just to make more cards ;)
... And possibly to resist sales for a while!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #31  
Mad Swapper

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbara32caView Post

Barbara - You're a hoot - and you sound just like me. I'd do that.

I love going to flea markets and finding vintage things to add to cards. Things like vintage seam binding or buttons. That can be a tad pricey, but it's so fun. Here are a couple of recent finds I love - perfect for Christmas.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the most you would spend on an embellishment for a card?-vintagefinds.jpg   What is the most you would spend on an embellishment for a card?-vintagetreeornaments.jpg   What is the most you would spend on an embellishment for a card?-snowmuchfuncard.jpg  
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:43 PM   #32  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

If it was for someone special who would keep the card on display for a long time, say weeks to months, then save it for years, I'd spend $1-3 or even 4. especially if the card was for a very special occasion like a wedding AND I really loved it AND I couldn't make it AND I couldn't buy it cheaper elsewhere.

For an average card, no more than 50c to $1 and even the $1 is pushing it and would have to be a special focal image embellishment. I make my own Prima flowers, even the big fabric and beaded ones. I have a video on youTube, my channel is rebeccacell if you are interested. I have an iTop so I can make flair buttons. I cover my own chipboard, I can't think of what else is expensive that I can't make and really want. I love charms like are used in jewelry but if you know where to look you can find them cheap. Sometimes quantity is an issue but you can always sell extras to friends.
Www.Boxofchocolatescrafts.Com
YouNeverKnowWhatI’mGoingtoMake

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:48 PM   #33  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

Originally Posted by pippinmctaggartView Post
I buy most of my embellishments at the dollar store. I don't have a local craft store, so it's a bit of a hike to Michaels, and I find their products really expensive anyway. I'll occasionally pick some up on clearance or when I have a coupon, but that's not often. And unfortunately, many online stores don't ship to Canada, or charge a fortune for shipping if they do.
Actually, I online shop a lot and many are quite reasonable! Almost all ship to Canada and its usually worth the difference! So many stores here still act like the dollar is still not at par even though it has been for years, just look at the SU! Catty, so prices here are higher. When you take that into consideration, the difference in shipping melts away MOST of the time. MFT and TE are great examples of very reasonable Canadian shipping. Sadly, PTI is not. There are many more like Joan's Gardens who only charge actual shipping and are very reasonable! So look into it again.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 PM   #34  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen

Quote:

I bought mega packs of elastic hair bands and picked the rhinestone butterflies off of them to use on cards! Always check the hair accessories aisle!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 09:36 PM   #35  
Embossing Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rebecca EdnieView Post
Actually, I online shop a lot and many are quite reasonable! Almost all ship to Canada and its usually worth the difference! So many stores here still act like the dollar is still not at par even though it has been for years, just look at the SU! Catty, so prices here are higher. When you take that into consideration, the difference in shipping melts away MOST of the time. MFT and TE are great examples of very reasonable Canadian shipping. Sadly, PTI is not. There are many more like Joan's Gardens who only charge actual shipping and are very reasonable! So look into it again.
I guess I've been looking in the wrong places, then! Good to know it's slowly getting better--thanks for the heads up. It really annoys me how much more we have to pay when our dollar is at or above par!

Question though--what are MFT and TE? :oops:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-13-2012, 11:13 PM   #36  
Die Cut Diva

Received 261 Likes on 130 Posts

Quote:

Bugga, you hit it right on the dot. I was so excited when I read your post and read this sentence "I want things to LOOK expensive, but not BE expensive."

That is so me. I am an elegance snob. I love the Make Do thread over here but I am not trying the technique unless I can make it elegant. I should change my make do mantra to "Make Do and Make it Pretty!"

I laughed at " who on earth would want to take the time to cover a whole phone with teeny-tiny rhinestones!" I am guilty, lol. I have done it. Yes, it was tedious, ROFL! I love to do decoden. Last week I just stocked up on a ton of cabachons and decoden supplies.

On to the big question how much would you spend on an embellishment? I make most of mine. I love to go to the craft stores and say "I can make that!" "I can make that too!" I have my die cutters to recreate looks. Everyone always asks me what I do with my Cricut? I recreate the Jolee's embellishments.

I make my own resin pieces. I make my own molds to create embellishments. I can even make my own Flair's. I am getting a button maker soon too to make even better Flair's. Flair's crack me up because I had so many in the 80's when I was a pre-teen. Back in the vintage 80's pre-teens had a name for flair's. We called them pins. DH & I still have a bunch of ours. When we were little my DH & I use to trade "flairs" to each other, ROFL! I told my DH we were trading love mementos back then and didn't even know it.

I collect so many bits and bobs. Most of my art studio is ephemera. I adore making embellishments.

I buy embellishments too. I admit it. I only buy them on sale. I have broken down a couple of times and bought an embellishment full price I knew I couldn't recreate or I just fell in love with. Recently I just bought some beautiful rhinestone faux pearl brads that look like royal jewel pieces. I just adore those brads. I hardly can believe I found them.

How much I have spent on an embellishment? I wonder if you all can beat this one. I spent over a $1,000 on an embellishment one time. I did a collage piece in the 90's that I used real pearls to embellish it. I sold that piece for a fortune too.

One time a friend gave me a real ruby to embellish a collage piece for her. It was a sentimental piece for a loved one she lost.

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #37  
Compulsive Stamper

I remember reading another Stamper's comment about cost, she said the first card cost $5000. but all the rest were free. That's my story too.
Reply With Quote Likes