Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:06 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New SU cutter... Should I buy it?

I have the old Fiskars that SU used to sell and I am finding that the blades wear out too fast for my liking. I was fine with it when I was just cutting 80 lb. SU cardstock, but in the past few months, as I've started to use heavier cardstock, I find that if the blade is anything but fairly new it shreds the edges of my heavier stuff. I just had to change out my blade so I could cut some PTI Spring Moss without having to file shreds off the edges.

I looked at the video on the SU website on this new cutter. I don't need it for cutting 12 X 12 sheets (at least I haven't yet) but I like that the platform is wider without the extension arm. But the real question - do the blades last any longer? Are they better blades? Or should I just buy a bunch of the Fiskars blades and resign myself to frequent changes?

I almost ordered the trimmer today. But I hesitated. And then tonight I wasted a whole sheet of paper trying to cut a 1 3/4 strip until I gave in and put in a new blade. Grrr.

Postscript - I am just looking around and it doesn't look like I can even find the blades for my current trimmer. Fiskars doesn't seem to be making this exact cutter anymore. All the replacement blades look different than the ones I have. Am I wrong?

Post Postscript - SU doesn't seem to sell replacement blades for the new trimmer. ??? I can't find them on the website store at all.

sigh. someone help me.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 11-01-2012 at 04:34 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:40 PM   #2  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

the new blades are not available ..... yet.

ETA: cutting and scoring blade refills will be available early in December

My Blog

Last edited by leibetty; 11-01-2012 at 04:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #3  
Chat Box Hippy Chick

Received 369 Likes on 227 Posts

I can't speak as to the blade longevity.... I don't have mine yet.

I also tired of frequent blade changes/purchases (with a different cutter) and I went with SU's Table Top cutter. self sharpening. no more blades to buy

My Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:44 PM   #4  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blades are not available yet but coming soon.
As far as the trimmer, I have it and like it but they are replaceable blades so yes, they will wear out. I am not sure if they will last longer than a fiskars or not. My problem with my fiskars was I had the wire guide and the wire has gotten warped, and it makes it look like I am cutting off. It was driving me nuts! I like the score blade and made it very easy to do a card!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 04:53 PM   #5  

Received 272 Likes on 161 Posts

I like my Carl rotary cutter. There are other brands of rotary cutters also. If you haven't tried a rotary cutter, you might want to consider it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #6  
Stazon Splitcoast

Do they still sell the Tonic guillotine cutter? I've had mine for several years and LOVE it! No blade changing ;)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #7  
Die Cut Diva

I have the Fiskars triple track and I love it, well I did..., but now the blades fall out all the time, Does anyone else have this problem?

I guess I'm waiting until I hear how we all like the new trimmer after a few months.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 08:06 PM   #8  
Matboard Maniac

Go for the Tonic. I've had mine for years and it does a fabulous job. Cuts are precise and clean. I can't imagine any slide trimmer getting close to the performance of a good quality guillotine trimmer.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #9  
Mad Swapper

Location: wishing I was in London but you'll likely find me on my couch

I want it!!! Waiting for sale a bration to order it though.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 PM   #10  
Polyshrink Goddess

I can say that the blades on the new SU trimmer are sharp! (I cut myself by accident, oops!) And I know when I tried it at convention, I tried it on Saturday afternoon and they said they had had the trimmer out since Wednesday and hadn't changed out the blade and had been demo'ing it pretty much non-stop since then. The blade still cut great, so that was a good sign to me. I talked to the gal who was in charge of the design of the trimmer and she said that the blades were a big thing they worked on when designing the trimmer. I seem to remember her saying they used a different metal when making the blades so they would hold up longer and they are supposed to have a 2-3x cutting life than they old "orange" blades. Obviously I haven't had my trimmer long enough to test that claim, but that is what I was told.

I DO know that the blades DO NOT fall out like my orange ones used to. In fact, in my video about the trimmer, I flipped open the track pretty hard and tried shaking the blade off and it stuck fast. If anything, I think it will be hard to get the blades off (though they go on really easy).
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-01-2012, 10:32 PM   #11  
Crimping Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My favorite thing about the new trimmer is that I no longer have to guess exactly where 5 1/2 inches is. As others have said, I haven't had my new trimmer long enough to know much about the durability of the blades, but I do know I can finally cut a sheet of card stock in half reliably.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:38 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

Jennifer/Carol - How many blades did you get with your trimmer. Did it come with any extras?

I found a source for the orange blades, but I am hesitating to buy them since if Fiskars is no longer making this trimmer, there is going to be a point where I won't be able to get the blades.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 04:42 AM   #13  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhantomView Post
Do they still sell the Tonic guillotine cutter? I've had mine for several years and LOVE it! No blade changing ;)
YES! We still have this but sometimes you need another trimmer for various reasons! I like the new trimmer because it's portable where the tonic trimmer really isn't travel friendly:-) I have both and love them both and use them for different reasons. The new one is really nice! And it cuts much straighter than my old fishers!

Check out my blog

Proud SCS Fan Club Member
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 06:50 AM   #14  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
Jennifer/Carol - How many blades did you get with your trimmer. Did it come with any extras?

I found a source for the orange blades, but I am hesitating to buy them since if Fiskars is no longer making this trimmer, there is going to be a point where I won't be able to get the blades.
You get one cutting blade and one scoring blade with the trimmer out of the package. The replacements will be available starting Dec 1st. I'm guessing they are trying to make the trimmer available as soon as possible and they are just in the process of manufacturing and building up inventory so they don't go on back order right away.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:06 AM   #15  
Glitter Guru

I think sometimes Stampin Up does things in an annoying way.

All the waiting around for a trimmer that appeared in the catalog months ago but wasn't actually available. Then, finally it arrives but parts are not available.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-02-2012, 07:23 AM   #16  
Splitcoast Team Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Quote:

Even with replacement blades on the old fiskars trimmer, you'll reach a point where the track wears and warps. It may hold the refill blades, but you'll be hard-pressed to get a straight cut, and the blades will have a tendency to fall out. Ask me how I know? That said, it was a $22 trimmer, years ago, and it's served me very well. Time to move on.

cool tool reviews from your Splitcoaststampers Product Focus Team
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:44 AM   #17  
Forum Fanatic

Received 71 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the new trimmer and I love it and this is coming from someone who at one time had a graveyard of trimmers in my closet.

It cuts perfectly - I have more control than with my large Tonic, however the Tonic is great for cutting multiple pieces of paper and will stay on my counter.

If you've never had a trimmer with a 1/4" grid on the base, you will love it. This is one of my pet peeves with other trimmers that don't have the 1/4" grid.

The blades won't fall out because you can have to slide the blade to the end of the ruler guide where there is a larger space that lets you pull the blade out. If you don't slide it to the end, you can't pull the blade off so it can't fall off.

The measurement markings are precise. Not all trimmer markings are exact but this one is, even down on the extension ruler.

The ruler guide has a raised portion so you can easily lift the ruler guide. I thought it would get in my way, but I love it.

There are many more features but I don't want to go on and on. But for someone who has been looking for the perfect trimmer for years, this is as close as any company has ever gotten for a lightweight, portable trimmer. Way to go SU!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 04:38 AM   #18  

Another vote for guillotine trimmers, they win hands down over any other cutting tool. Mine wasn't even that expensive, from ACM with coupon. Purple Cow, I think. It never.needs.sharpening.
Unless you somehow break it, you never.need.to.change.the.blade.
Why would you want something else that does?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 05:26 AM   #19  
Glitter Guru

Yeah, I guess I'm going to get the trimmer.

Of course I just did an SU order. Isn't that always the way? I think I've got everything on there and right after I place it, I either remember or find something I should have put on there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #20  
Forum Fanatic

[QUOTE=KatarinaM;19799888]Another vote for guillotine trimmers, they win hands down over any other cutting tool. Mine wasn't even that expensive, from ACM with coupon. Purple Cow, I think. It never.needs.sharpening.
Unless you somehow break it, you never.need.to.change.the.blade.
Why would you want something else that does?[/QUOTE]

For me it personal preference. Most of the guillotine trimmers that I have seen that are capable of holding 12" paper are larger & heavier than I want on my stamping area where I work and I'm not that great as cutting small strips with the guillotine.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #21  
Polyshrink Goddess

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Quote:

I have the old Fiskars that SU used to sell and I am finding that the blades wear out too fast for my liking. I was fine with it when I was just cutting 80 lb. SU cardstock, but in the past few months, as I've started to use heavier cardstock, I find that if the blade is anything but fairly new it shreds the edges of my heavier stuff. I just had to change out my blade so I could cut some PTI Spring Moss without having to file shreds off the edges.

I looked at the video on the SU website on this new cutter. I don't need it for cutting 12 X 12 sheets (at least I haven't yet) but I like that the platform is wider without the extension arm. But the real question - do the blades last any longer? Are they better blades? Or should I just buy a bunch of the Fiskars blades and resign myself to frequent changes?

I almost ordered the trimmer today. But I hesitated. And then tonight I wasted a whole sheet of paper trying to cut a 1 3/4 strip until I gave in and put in a new blade. Grrr.

Postscript - I am just looking around and it doesn't look like I can even find the blades for my current trimmer. Fiskars doesn't seem to be making this exact cutter anymore. All the replacement blades look different than the ones I have. Am I wrong?

Post Postscript - SU doesn't seem to sell replacement blades for the new trimmer. ??? I can't find them on the website store at all.

sigh. someone help me.
I have the Fiskars Surecut trimmer and besides the colors and some curves it is the same as the SU trimmer as far as I can tell. Take a look at the Fiskars page and see what you think. I like mine, but the blade itself is similar to the other fiskars trimmers. I don't think it wears out too fast, but I can stand some rough edges.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:25 AM   #22  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
I have the Fiskars Surecut trimmer and besides the colors and some curves it is the same as the SU trimmer as far as I can tell. Take a look at the Fiskars page and see what you think. I like mine, but the blade itself is similar to the other fiskars trimmers. I don't think it wears out too fast, but I can stand some rough edges.
Are you looking at the new SU trimmer? I looked at Fiskars and I didn't find any that are the same as the new SU trimmer. Many of the features of the SU trimmer are exclusive to SU.

I bought the perfect layers tool based on reviews and I have an awful time with it. I looked at videos and I get how it works, but for some reason I am not good with holding the tool down and getting a straight cut. I'm also not fond of the cut edge from the knife. I wasted so much paper that I've moved the tool to my garage sale bin. I'm sure one of my crafty friends will love it, but not me.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #23  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Originally Posted by stamphappy1650View Post
Are you looking at the new SU trimmer? I looked at Fiskars and I didn't find any that are the same as the new SU trimmer. Many of the features of the SU trimmer are exclusive to SU.

I bought the perfect layers tool based on reviews and I have an awful time with it. I looked at videos and I get how it works, but for some reason I am not good with holding the tool down and getting a straight cut. I'm also not fond of the cut edge from the knife. I wasted so much paper that I've moved the tool to my garage sale bin. I'm sure one of my crafty friends will love it, but not me.

Did you look at the surecut trimmer? It doesn't come with a scoring blade or the storage, but I have a scor pal. But the measurments are the same and the size. And if you buy it at Michaels or Joanns with a coupon it would be cheaper.

Last edited by staceylovespaper; 11-03-2012 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #24  
Stampin' Fool

Quote:

I think sometimes Stampin Up does things in an annoying way.

All the waiting around for a trimmer that appeared in the catalog months ago but wasn't actually available. Then, finally it arrives but parts are not available.
First, let me say that I am a SU demo. I was frustrated too about the delay in getting the cutter since all three of my Fiskars cutters had the measurements worn off. But SU delayed it's availability because of quality issues. The one thing that I can say about SU is that if something is not up to their standards, they don't release it. I don't know for sure but I am guessing that the catalog went to the publisher ahead of when they discovered the quality problem. We would all be more unhappy with SU if they sent us a product that had problems.

I received my cutter a couple weeks ago and I love it. No more arm swinging out when making cards. For that reason alone, it is worth it to me. When I am working at my desk, I have a limited amount of room and having to stop to organize the supplies that somehow scatter all over my desk is a real pain. I also have the tabletop cutter which I use for larger projects.

As far as the blades and based on SU's comments about the blades life span, you shouldn't need a new blade until they are available in December.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   #25  
Glitter Guru

Okay. I just ordered it. What sold me was being reminded about not having to swing out that arm to do A2 cards. Like you said, Cathy, that arm takes up valuable real estate on my worktable. And I like the fact that the guide thing swings away from the cutter. That makes more sense than the way mine swings up and right into your way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 03:51 AM   #26  

Quote:

Before you throw those Perfect Layers rulers in the garage sale bin did you try using them with a rotary cutter? I've tried them with a regular blade like an Exacto knife and it was much harder to use. I now use a small Fiskars rotary cutter and use them all the time. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:15 AM   #27  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by smcdonoughView Post
Did you look at the surecut trimmer? It doesn't come with a scoring blade or the storage, but I have a scor pal. But the measurments are the same and the size. And if you buy it at Michaels or Joanns with a coupon it would be cheaper.
Yes I did look at the surecut but the guides on the base plate are not 1/4" - for me this is a big, big, did I say big ;) difference. In the long run the time saving is worth the difference in the price.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 06:17 AM   #28  
Forum Fanatic

Quote:

Originally Posted by KatarinaMView Post
Before you throw those Perfect Layers rulers in the garage sale bin did you try using them with a rotary cutter? I've tried them with a regular blade like an Exacto knife and it was much harder to use. I now use a small Fiskars rotary cutter and use them all the time. HTH.
Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try because I really wanted to like the Perfect Layers.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 07:56 AM   #29  
Stazon Splitcoast

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

For a temporary fix when the blade gets dull and starts fraying the edges of your paper, try putting one or two sheets of scrap paper (just the thin xerox paper) under the paper that you want to cut. Then perhaps the blade will fray the papers underneath and give a clean cut on the important paper.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:15 AM   #30  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Fiskars Sure Cut trimmer has most of the features of the new trimmer. Same base width, hard plastic overlay, rubber feet, guide arm swings the same way and locks down. The blades are different, no storage compartment, it's shorter so you can't store both blades on it but I use a scoring board for scoring. It replaced my older trimmer and is far more accurate. The wider base really is a nice feature, especially on the right side and I use the bottom measuring guide the most.
But I usually don't cut card stock with it-that's what dulls the blades the fastest I think. For all but the smallest pieces of cs and for cutting card bases I use the Tonic table cutter.

Last edited by Cartermrc; 12-13-2012 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 08:59 AM   #31  
Glitter Guru

Cindy, this is going to sound dumb, but... if you don't cut cardstock with it, what do you use it for?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #32  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by leibettyView Post
I can't speak as to the blade longevity.... I don't have mine yet.

I also tired of frequent blade changes/purchases (with a different cutter) and I went with SU's Table Top cutter. self sharpening. no more blades to buy
This is what I have been using to, the SU table top cutter.

My blog: www.maryscraftroom.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #33  
Pearl-ExPert

I am curious if anyone has tried to cut aluminum foil with their dull blades, with the hope of sharpening the blade on your cutter? I wonder if this would work? You would probably have to cut the foil quite a few times to sharpen your cutter blade, but I wonder if this would work?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:21 AM   #34  
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:

Yes I did look at the surecut but the guides on the base plate are not 1/4" - for me this is a big, big, did I say big ;) difference. In the long run the time saving is worth the difference in the price.
I didn't even notice that

I never even thought about having the guide lines run horizontally as well as vertically. I will have to remember that if I buy a new trimmer,

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:30 AM   #35  
Glitter Guru

I have read posts that suggested the tin foil thing several times, but never tried it because it seemed implausible. But I might be wrong. Maybe it does work.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-04-2012, 12:45 PM   #36  
Crimping Master

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

if you don't cut cardstock with it, what do you use it for?
Everything else including all patterened papers, household stuff like recipes and thin cs. Don't get me wrong, I do use the trimmer for the odd piece of heavier cs but for cutting all bases and assembly line layers I use the tabletop trimmer.

I wish Fiskars made a rotary trimmer with the same dimensions as the SureCut and the SU new trimmer. What rotary trimmers they have are too short, too narrow or too bulky.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by purplewinkleView Post
I have the Fiskars triple track and I love it, well I did..., but now the blades fall out all the time, Does anyone else have this problem?
Yes! I think that's my biggest annoyance with the Fiskars version. I've had mine for less than a year, and I love the lightweight, portable aspect of it, but the orange blades seem to fall out all the time, especially when traveling. I do use it for cutting cardstock, but have never thought about how much that dulls the blades vs. having a guillotine cutter for that. hmm...
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 12:21 PM   #38  

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by MakalahView Post
Yes! I think that's my biggest annoyance with the Fiskars version. I've had mine for less than a year, and I love the lightweight, portable aspect of it, but the orange blades seem to fall out all the time, especially when traveling. I do use it for cutting cardstock, but have never thought about how much that dulls the blades vs. having a guillotine cutter for that. hmm...
Now that you're a demo , you want the table-top cutter. Makes prepping such a breeze when you're cutting a bunch of cardstock the same! Love Love Love it! In fact ... my 16yo dd uses it exclusively (for the past few years). She really doesn't like other trimmers.

I've got the new SU! trimmer, but haven't tried it out yet. This afternoon or tonight.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 11-05-2012, 01:21 PM   #39  
Glitter Guru

I hope I like mine and I hope it cuts cardstock reliably. I'm not a demo, I don't cut massive amounts of cardstock and SU sells it as an all-purpose trimmer.

I don't want to have to buy the tabletop cutter at this point. I don't know where I would even put it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-12-2012, 01:02 PM   #40  
Pearl-ExPert

Smile

Quote:

Okay. I just ordered it. What sold me was being reminded about not having to swing out that arm to do A2 cards. Like you said, Cathy, that arm takes up valuable real estate on my worktable. And I like the fact that the guide thing swings away from the cutter. That makes more sense than the way mine swings up and right into your way.
I just ordered one of the new trimmers today, as my 1/2 price item from my hostess party! So now that everyone has had time to use them, what is the verdict? Please share what you all think of this trimmer, now that you have had some time to use, and get used to it? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Likes