View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 11:18 AM   #52
Barbara Jay
Die Cut Diva

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakhuxel View Post
I have wanted one of these forever, and the new Portrait size has really caught my attention. I have a dedicated craft room, but not much space left for a bulky machine that I have to constantly hook up to the laptop. I am curious about a few things, and am hopeful you can help me.
The Cameo is only 21" wide x 7" deep.

I work exclusively on a Mac. Thoughts?
I use my Cameo on a Mac with no problems

I am very skilled in graphics, Photoshop etc. Do they still require Adobe Illustrator, or do they have dedicated software for Mac users now?

All the software you need is included or you can purchase the more elaborate version of Designer Edition

What's the learning curve? Am I going to be up all night trying to cut a circle?

I was able to cut my first pieces without any problems and I am no computer techie. I have no idea how to use Photoshop or any other program like that

If money were no object, would you push for the bigger machine or would you be happy with the modest size Portrait? (I don't see myself cutting any 12"x12") So what's the relative merits of the Portrait, those of you who have one? And the negatives.

I decided on a Cameo because the Black Friday price was almost the cost of the Portrait and the Cameo has an SD slot. I plan to use the SD as a backup to save my cut files.

These are the reasons I've been dragging my feet. I know the machine is awesome, I know all the stuff it is supposed to be able to do- but what EXACTLY can I expect? I don't want to plop down another $200 for yet another dust collector that's too difficult to actually use.

I only make cards for my family and friends. I have seen a lot of metal dies I liked, but they would only be useful for one or two people's cards. The cut files are only 99 cents and that is cheap even if I only use the cut file once or twice. I love the idea I can resize the cuts to fit my needs . I will still use my metal dies, but this is a wonderful addition to my tools.

Thanks VERY much!!
-c
Hope this helps

Last edited by Barbara Jay; 12-11-2012 at 11:24 AM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!