View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 07:42 PM   #2426
Anemone
CBC Lady Violet

Yeah, the school where I taught never closed either. We had one really, really bad snowstorm that I was really annoyed they didn't close. Public transit was even pulled off the roads and the wait for a taxi was three hours. Housemate and I both taught at the same school and were told that we HAD to get to school - not showing up was not an option. But administration - who all had their own cars and lived no farther from the school than we did? Didn't show up. Less than 1/3 of the staff showed up, and we had something like 23 students from jk through to gr. 8 show up. Legally of course, emergency exits have to be kept clear - it was snowing so heavily that I had to go out and shovel every 1-2 hours to keep enough of a path clear for us to be able to get out the front or back door.
I was very much not happy with administration over that. I felt they put the lives of the staff at risk who were forced to come in, and that by being open, they allowed the parents of those students who dropped them off to put the students' lives at risk as well.