View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 08:15 PM   #800
PH in VA
Splitcoast Gallery Moderator
Band Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PH in VA View Post
ODS had another "you're so pretty" moment today.

We let him drive to the school where the district auditions were held. Last night I went over the directions to the school with him, and we looked at the route on Google Maps together (which was a good thing because he'd guessed he would need to go south on the interstate instead of north ).

So this morning, he got on and off the interstate at the correct places, and was heading in the direction of the school, when he saw his band teacher driving along. He figured she knew where the school was, and he decided to follow her.

She didn't go to the school. She went to her house! (She lives pretty close to the audition site.)

But she got ODS back on track to get to the school, and he did get there in plenty of time.

But geeeeeez.
OK. After talking with ODS more about this before he went to bed, I have to say that I was a little harsh on him in the quoted post.

I don't remember if he said he used Google Maps on his iPhone, or if he had a different GPS type app he used, but anyway, this morning he set it up for directions from home to the school (we'll call it THS, for The High School, lol). The directions it gave him didn't look right to him, compared to what I'd shown him last night.

So we looked on Google Maps together on my computer, and he showed me where his phone directed him.

Back in the late 1980s, the county decided the THS building was either too small or somewhat outdated, and they were shifting from grade K-7 and 8-12 schools to K-4, 5-8, 9-12, so they built a new THS about 3 miles away. The new THS opened for the 1989-1990 school year, and that's where the auditions were held. The county turned the former location into a middle school.

ODS's phone directed him to the middle school.

No wonder he was confused!

But geeeeez. Talk about outdated maps! That's pretty pathetic.

That's yet another reason for me to mistrust GPSes.

Last edited by PH in VA; 12-08-2012 at 08:19 PM..
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!