View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
PJill
Stampin' Fool

My mom had several strokes along with dementia. She didn't realize how dangerous she was. She had a couple of accidents that were 100% her fault yet she convinced herself that the "cop must have known the other guy" because SHE got the ticket that he deserved. I tried talking to her, had her doctor talk to her and her physical therapist talk to her. She always agreed but said she "would NEVER drive if she thought it could hurts someone." However, "Right now I am a good driver." We took the keys. She got mad and somehow found a spare set. Finally, my cousin went over and "fixed" her car for her. He then told her about the parts she needed and how "expensive" they were. The car then sat in the garage for the next year since she didn't have the 'money' to repair it. It seemed so dishonest and I felt like the lying, evil daughter from hell, but as I saw her rapidly decline in mental and physical condition, I knew I had made the right choice. Because there was really nobody to 'blame', we never had to argue or hurt her pride. Til the day she died she proudly pulled out her drivers license (expired several years previously) and showed everyone telling them what a good driver the doctors say she is. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with a good solution.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!