Thread: Cricut FAQ
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 03:41 PM   #2807
sewnmachine
Polyshrink Goddess

If your Gypsy is truly dead, life will go on without it. With Cricut Craft Room you can do everything (and some things much easier) that you did on the Gypsy. I like CCR much better than my Gypsy because I can see my images better on a big computer screen, and you can also add color to your layers.

Download the application to your desktop - and when you use it you will need to be connected to the internet. And also have space on your crafting desk to accomodate your computer.

However! The cartridges that are linked to your Gypsy can NOT at this time be linked to CCR. That means, that when you are ready to cut out your image, you will be prompted to insert the necessary cartridges into your machine. This can be a PITA if you are using several carts on a particular cut. But.. it is, what it is. Provo Craft has been working on a fix for this for 2 years now, and still haven't come forth with a solution. And women are mad!!!

But anyway, in my opinion, CCR is much more user friendly than my Gypsy. Others will disagree. But right now you have nothing to lose by trying it out. I think you will like it though.

Regarding your Gypsy.... yes - you have the black screen of death. Check out the Gypsy forum on the cricut message boards..... it might be fixable. Or call PC customer service and they might have you try a few things before pronouncing it dead.

If it really IS dead, then what other ladies have done is buy a new Gypsy, send in your dead one WITH your new one and PC will re-serialize your new one so all of your carts can be re linked. That's alot of hassle, not to mention expense.

I know when my Gypsy dies I will use CCR or just make do with my carts as for a stand alone machine.