Today's Posts

Search

Get the Weekly
Inkling
newsletter

Previous Issues

Splitcoaststampers's privacy policy

Get Social

Splitcoaststampers on InstagramLike Splitcoaststampers on FacebookFollow Splitcoaststampers on TwitterPit Splitcoaststampers on Pinterest

Sponsored Ads

Splitcoaststampers.com - the world's #1 papercrafting community
You're currently viewing Splitcoaststampers as a GUEST. We pride ourselves on being great hosts, but guests have limited access to some of our incredible artwork, our lively forums and other super cool features of the site! You can join our incredible papercrafting community at NO COST. So what are you waiting for?

Join the party at Splitcoaststampers today!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #1  
Glitter Guru

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is it just me?

Is it me? Is it the season? I feel like the forum is like a big shopping mall lately. Nothing against these lovely companies and their stamps or dies or whatever, but I'm feeling a little hemmed in by marketing when I come here. Not really the ads on the site, which I know are necessary to fund it, but the threads. Seems like there are an awful lot of product threads.

Just saying.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 05:53 PM   #2  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I myself like to limit what I see from Member companies. There was a time that I was feeling inundated by particular member company that is no longer here. So at that time I found a way to hide the member company threads that show up in the general forum. If I want info about a member company, I go to their specific forum area. And I am happy!

Here's how:
Click on your username at the top of SplitCoast, where is says welcome, Rachelrose . This will take you to your user name control panel.

On your control panel page, on the left side menu, in the Settings & Options section choose EDIT OPTIONS .

At the very bottom of the Edit Options page there is a section called Member Company Global Threads . This setting will turn on or off the member company threads and logos that show up in the General Stamping Forum. To hide the member company threads in the general forum, select the OFF setting. You can still go to the member company forums, but their threads in the general forum will be hidden from you. You can toggle this setting on/off any time.

Hope this helps!
Illustrator: Whipper Snapper Designs
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM   #3  
Glitter Guru

Thank you, Anna! I had no idea you could do that!

And I'm glad I'm not the only person who has felt this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-03-2012, 06:12 PM   #4  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After changing my settings, the post I wrote here disappeared into thin air -- I guess that'll teach me to mess with SCS!

I wanted to say thank you to Rachelrose for mentioning this, and to Anna for providing the fix. It never occurred to me to search for a way to do this (and I'm not enough of a techie to think it was possible), so I really appreciate the information!

I'm looking forward to enjoying the more streamlined look as I explore the site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:54 AM   #5  
Glitter Guru

Much better! Now I can just see the member posts.

As you say, if I want to, I can always go to the specific company forums!

After eight months here, I am finding that there is still so much about the site that I don't know.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:43 AM   #6  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
SCS Gallery Moderator
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess
Teapot Tuesday TEAm

Received 1,051 Likes on 811 Posts

I was going to offer the same solution that Anna did. I found all those member company posts too overwhelming, so I just pop down to a couple of my favourite ones to see what's up. I'm sure I'm missing out on stuff that's worth seeing, but until somebody comes up with a magic machine to make more time in the day, that's just life!
Off topic, my Mega Mount arrived today, looking forward to trying it out!!!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:18 AM   #7  
Glitter Guru

Wow, I really hesitated to post this at all. I thought I would seem like a Scrooge. I know these companies depend on sales to continue existing, and that there is hardly a better venue for them than SCS, but I felt like it was crowding out the member posts a bit. Glad to hear others prefer to - as Lola says - streamline, and just go visit company forums.

Sabrina, I can't wait to hear what you think of the Mega Mount! I'll be awaiting your report!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:31 AM   #8  
Mad Swapper

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Send a message via Skype™ to Love2Craft

Thank you for this thread!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #9  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't feel that way at all. I think in part, people come to SCS to get help when searching for specific products or advise on certain products. I appreciate all the links and advise when it comes to purchasing stuff. It helps me make good choices with my limited funds.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #10  
Die Cut Diva

SCS made it great for everyone...no matter how you feel about this issue. Love that I can turn off what I don't want to see and go visit the ones I do.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14

Last edited by SmurfBE; 12-04-2012 at 07:44 AM.. Reason: Stinkin' enter button got in the way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:16 AM   #11  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

you know, I think I already turned off the Member Companies being viewed years ago.

I thought you were talking about when the USERS start threads and Member Companies or other companies chime in on those threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #12  
Glitter Guru

You mean like when I posted a question about a Gina K product and Gina K posted to it? I thought that was awesome. Keep that good stuff coming!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:11 AM   #13  
Pearl-ExPert

Rachelrose (and anyone else), if you haven't already visited Anna's blog (it's linked in her signature), you might want to take some time to have a look over there. Aside from all of the amazing papercrafting and coloring skills she has, she also lives on a farm and provides a bounty of photos of the beautiful animals who are a part of her life. Enjoy!

P.S. I'm popping back in after taking a peek at Michelle's blog -- you might want to spend some time over there as well! It amazes me all the time how many talented people there are on this site. Thank you all for the incredible inspiration you provide!

Last edited by Lola G.; 12-04-2012 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: adding a postscript
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #14  
Splitcoast Challenge Hostess

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great info about options to view threads.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 12:14 PM   #15  
Pearl-ExPert

Thanks, Rachelrose, for posing the question--and thanks, Anna (SweetMissDaisy) for offering an explanation of the option to hide them. Thank you, SCS, for allowing the option to hide or show them!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #16  
Polyshrink Goddess

Thanks, Rachelrose, for posing the question--and thanks, Anna (SweetMissDaisy) for offering an explanation of the option to hide them. Thank you, SCS, for allowing the option to hide or show them!

Ditto from me, thanks to all for sharing. Never knew you turn the member companies off.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 02:53 PM   #17  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Quote:

Originally Posted by RachelroseView Post
You mean like when I posted a question about a Gina K product and Gina K posted to it? I thought that was awesome. Keep that good stuff coming!
Yes, I thought that's what your original post was bothered by! :-)
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:18 PM   #18  
Stampin' Fool

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SweetMissDaisyView Post
I myself like to limit what I see from Member companies. There was a time that I was feeling inundated by particular member company that is no longer here. So at that time I found a way to hide the member company threads that show up in the general forum. If I want info about a member company, I go to their specific forum area. And I am happy!

Here's how:
Click on your username at the top of SplitCoast, where is says welcome, Rachelrose . This will take you to your user name control panel.

On your control panel page, on the left side menu, in the Settings & Options section choose EDIT OPTIONS .

At the very bottom of the Edit Options page there is a section called Member Company Global Threads . This setting will turn on or off the member company threads and logos that show up in the General Stamping Forum. To hide the member company threads in the general forum, select the OFF setting. You can still go to the member company forums, but their threads in the general forum will be hidden from you. You can toggle this setting on/off any time.

Hope this helps!

hhhmmmmmm....I did what you posted but I still see company threads. I even closed the window & re-opened it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #19  
Rubber Obsessor

I don't mind so much the member companies. I haven't crafted in so long, it's nice to know what all the new products are.

What I'm noticing, and maybe it's just me, is that the forums seem to be very slow. Not in technology slow, but it seems that before I stopped scrapbooking several years ago that most days posts and replies were back to back to back. That doesn't seem the case anymore. I feel like such an addict since every 5 minutes I'm picking up whatevers closest that has wi-fi or 3g and a browser to check and see if anyone posted after me... only to be disappointed that they hadn't! Hopefully it's not just me... less than a week back into the hobby and I already feel like I need an AA group for it.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 05:19 PM   #20  
Pearl-ExPert

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post
I don't mind so much the member companies. I haven't crafted in so long, it's nice to know what all the new products are.

What I'm noticing, and maybe it's just me, is that the forums seem to be very slow. Not in technology slow, but it seems that before I stopped scrapbooking several years ago that most days posts and replies were back to back to back. That doesn't seem the case anymore. I feel like such an addict since every 5 minutes I'm picking up whatevers closest that has wi-fi or 3g and a browser to check and see if anyone posted after me... only to be disappointed that they hadn't! Hopefully it's not just me... less than a week back into the hobby and I already feel like I need an AA group for it.
I've noticed that at times. I think that a couple of the contributing factors are the increase in the number of blogs that people have and/or read, as well as forums that have been created by crafting companies, in which their customers have the common interest of that particular product line.

This site is still a terrific resource, but maybe you'd enjoy adding some of the other options I mentioned, particularly when you're interested in getting or sharing information regarding specific products.

I continue to be amazed at how many terrific product lines there are and the ever-growing number of talented people who share their creations and their crafting adventures online!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #21  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Heart

Quote:

Whew! I was getting a little nervous for a second. ;)

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #22  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyndi_RayView Post

I think you are witnessing that the hobby has levelled off.

Also, people are more tech savvy than they were when SCS began so they use the search bar and search engines to find answers to their questions.

Lastly, there are people (even "big names") leaving it for pastures new. A lot of people were into the more, more, more scene and burned out. What I find now is that I have time to look at what people are doing more closely. It could be useful to have google reader etc. And just follow some blogs.

Just one more thing - if you are looking for blogs to follow there are plenty of links in signature lines, I have a page dedicated to blog links on my blog, I know GinaK has some great artists on her forum with lovely blogs. There is loads more out there but that is about what I have time for. HTH.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM   #23  
Rubber Obsessor

thanks! I posted a question on here asking people what their favorite blogs were and got absolutely no responses, lol. I will go check your blog out!! I like looking at blogs too, but I love to socialize, which is why I like forums so much!! The other main popular forum I was on all the time was the Cricut forum, but since I am no longer a fan of Provo Craft (I moved to the dark side where they have Silhouettes I don't feel the need to socialize there.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #24  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

I would also like to add, that while I hide the member co. posts in the general forums, I do still go to their dedicated forum areas. And I find that I spend more money now than I did before, only because I'm not so flustered about seeing things I'm not necessarily interested in the general forum.

I see it as a win/win! Win for me w/ less anxiety, and a win for member companies who still manage to dazzle me w/ new products that MUST be mine! *LOL*
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-04-2012, 09:10 PM   #25  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Heart

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lola G.View Post
Rachelrose (and anyone else), if you haven't already visited Anna's blog (it's linked in her signature), you might want to take some time to have a look over there. Aside from all of the amazing papercrafting and coloring skills she has, she also lives on a farm and provides a bounty of photos of the beautiful animals who are a part of her life. Enjoy!!
Thank you, thank you!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 05:31 AM   #26  
Glitter Guru

Gina, when you posted to my thread, I felt like I should curtsey! Thank you, Ma'am!
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:51 AM   #27  
Dirty Dozen Alumni

Gina has spectacular service, it's true!! ♥♥♥
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 07:16 AM   #28  
Die Cut Diva

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmurfBEView Post
SCS made it great for everyone...no matter how you feel about this issue. Love that I can turn off what I don't want to see and go visit the ones I do.
Let me add that I think it is awesome that Gina K, SU Demonstrators and others respond to questions about their products! I just didn't like the member company forums showing up in the general conversations and love that SCS allowed us to turn that off and visit the forums when/if we want.
"Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer." Psalms 19:14
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #29  
Hardware Hotshot

I don't hide the company threads, because I can see their logos to the left of the thread. There are times I do want to click on a company thread to see what is happening there. They may have a sale I am interested in.

If that company doesn't have stamps or stuff that fits my style I just don't click on their thread.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:18 AM   #30  
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen
SCS RAK Coordinator
Swapper of the Month December 2012

Received 3,293 Likes on 2,480 Posts

Kristen--I checked out your links and I was surprised to see my blog listed :p. Thanks! I plan to add some of these, including yours to my list of favorite blogs that I have on mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiverIsisView Post
I think you are witnessing that the hobby has levelled off.

Also, people are more tech savvy than they were when SCS began so they use the search bar and search engines to find answers to their questions.

Lastly, there are people (even "big names") leaving it for pastures new. A lot of people were into the more, more, more scene and burned out. What I find now is that I have time to look at what people are doing more closely. It could be useful to have google reader etc. And just follow some blogs.

Just one more thing - if you are looking for blogs to follow there are plenty of links in signature lines, I have a page dedicated to blog links on my blog, I know GinaK has some great artists on her forum with lovely blogs. There is loads more out there but that is about what I have time for. HTH.

Join Our Challenge Your Stash Group--click Here!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 10:51 AM   #31  
Stazon Splitcoast

Quote:

Originally Posted by barbaralynnView Post
Kristen--I checked out your links and I was surprised to see my blog listed :p. Thanks! I plan to add some of these, including yours to my list of favorite blogs that I have on mine.
You're welcome! and thank you. I used to have them down the side of my home page and that became out of date to what I had in my reader and I just wanted something simple for reference. Completely forgot my feed blogs so I need to tweak it some more. :lol:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-05-2012, 06:47 PM   #32  
Pearl-ExPert

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Quote:

Is it me? Is it the season? I feel like the forum is like a big shopping mall lately. Nothing against these lovely companies and their stamps or dies or whatever, but I'm feeling a little hemmed in by marketing when I come here. Not really the ads on the site, which I know are necessary to fund it, but the threads. Seems like there are an awful lot of product threads.

Just saying.
YES! I feel the same way. It's like remembering when going to the movies didn't include 30 minutes of commercials before it started. This site feels more and more like a marketing site instead of a social networking site.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 AM   #33  
Glitter Guru

Have you turned off the member threads in the General Forum as Anna suggested, Mindy? It does really help. I can deal with the adds running in the headers and sidebars of the page. I just looked at the General Stamping Talk forum one day and the company threads were taking up easily half of the first page. That felt like too much to me. I come to the forum to chat with other people who share my interests, and I don't want sales pitches crowding those people out. No matter how nice the merchandise might be.

But I was happy to find a fix for it.

Last edited by Rachelrose; 12-06-2012 at 04:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #34  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

While I get what you guys are saying about ads, etc., sometimes awfully NICE things happen around here with companies- I was given a Scor Pal out of the blue by the company. One day, I just got a PM telling me the Scor Pal Angel wanted to give me one. I was completely blown away!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #35  
Glitter Guru

That's so amazing! Believe me, Contrapat, I think the companies who are members are wonderful. The atmosphere within the company forums is really upbeat and enthusiastic and they really connect to members person to person.

I'm just the type of person who likes to be dealing with one thing at a time. When I want to socialize or find something out on the forum, I don't want other distractions. When I want to go and look at merchandise and shop, that's all I want to be doing. For me, being able to separate the two is ideal. Someone else likes just the opposite - they want to be able to see the whole landscape at once. So they can.

I think it's genius that the site is designed to allow each of us to personalize things this way.
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #36  
Watercolor Wizard

Received 492 Likes on 271 Posts

And I love that Gina K is actually around here, replying to posts and staying in the community! (BTW- DH gave me a gift certificate last year for Gina K so I could indulge in the heavyweight white cs- I LOVE that stuff! It's the BEST!) Now, all I have to do is actually learn to use the Bow Easy I bought, lol!

Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #37  
Hardware Hotshot

Thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by contrapatView Post
While I get what you guys are saying about ads, etc., sometimes awfully NICE things happen around here with companies- I was given a Scor Pal out of the blue by the company. One day, I just got a PM telling me the Scor Pal Angel wanted to give me one. I was completely blown away!
That is amazing!

I also love that Gina K. jumps into threads here (do your ears burn or do you have some sort of alert system set up? ).

I've not had bad customer service with any of the SCS member companies. Only top of the line for this website. :cool:
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #38  
Inking Addict

some peple still come here for help about their proplems,just post and reply what you interest and needs,ok?
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2012, 11:24 AM   #39  
Creative Crew SU Design Team Alumni

Thanks to everyone for posting the initial question and the fix!

My Blog: Did You Stamp Today? | Fab Friday Challenge Blog
Reply With Quote Likes
Old 12-07-2012, 07:03 PM   #40  
Gabfest Goddess

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Quote:

Gina, when you posted to my thread, I felt like I should curtsey! Thank you, Ma'am!
OMGoodness, don't do that! Just grab my hand and we can run to the stamp room together!

Reply With Quote Likes