View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #4779
cookie1031
Matboard Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kspiv View Post
Funny everyone is talking about the jewelry and knitting/crocheting. There are always a lot of booths for those at all the events I have been at. My friend I share booth space with does both these items. She does lovely work and she makes beautiful hats and scarves and gloves! But yes, sometimes I am sure she groans about all the other people doing this, too. Makes selling really hard! =(

I didn't take "business cards" to any of these events because I don't really do this as a business....just do the 2 shows a year...but I had people ask for my name and phone # and I had a lady call me today about the little acrylic desktop post-it note items I had. Her little daughter was eyeing one but mom didn't want to get it then because she was there. I told her I was going to be at this craft fair this weekend, which is 30 miinutes away from the other craft fair I was at but is in my hometown. I work full-time in this town 30 minutes away, so I am there 5 days a week, but things have been busy and I don't really have time to make and take a $3 item to this woman. She said she would try to make it out to this craft fair this weekend, but I guess my question is...how much effort do you put in to "special orders" or getting something to someone outside of a sale? Especially if this isn't really your "business" but a little money making hobby. I would spend more in gas driving across town to give her that $3 item but I hate telling people "not worth it" either...her daughter was so cute and wanted that little thing so bad. LOL

I live in a really small rural town. So when I do the "local" shows, a lot of the shoppers are from the towns nearby. I have had requests like this more than once & I usually just meet them half way. I've delivered items to people in grocery store parking lots & gas station parking lots, lol. Although I go into the other towns every couple of weeks or so. The item doesn't usually have to be delivered right away, just so they get it before that special occasion.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!