View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1941
AlysonRR
Glitter Guru

So, Pat Robertson is ready to start up the so-called War on Christmas again.

Here's what he said on the 700 Club: "It's, well, Christmas all over again. The Grinch is trying to steal our holiday. It's been so beautiful, the nation comes together, we sing Christmas carols, we give gifts to each other, we have lighted trees, and it's just a beautiful thing. Atheists don't like our happiness, they don't want you to be happy, they want you to be miserable. They're miserable, so they want you to be miserable. So they want to steal your holiday away from you."

So, is everyone headed out to make Christians unhappy and miserable for the next 31 days?

Seriously, I don't understand where this comes from. Every atheist/humanist I know celebrates some sort of traditional winter family gathering. Some of them even call it Christmas and celebrate with all the trappings - tree, lights, decorations, presents.

If I choose to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas, it's because I don't assume everyone celebrates Christmas.

If I support efforts of atheist groups and individuals to ensure that taxpayer-owned property is not used to endorse Christianity, it is because I believe deeply in the separation of church and state, not because I want to make Christians miserable and unhappy.

If I choose to boycott certain stores because of their labor practices I am expressing my consumer power with my feet, just as you and some of your followers do by boycotting stores you deem to be not supportive enough of your winter holiday.

Our family eat several winter celebratory meals together because of family traditions that are important to us so we don't have time to participate in the war against xmas, Mr. Robertson. I can't see how my opinions and practices should take anything away from your enjoyment of your holiday.