View Single Post
Old 11-23-2012, 07:03 PM   #4131
Greywolf
Watercolor Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cveneruso View Post
Val, I used to use Italian pork sausage in mine. This year I used breakfast sausage. One of the kid's can't eat pork sausage so hubby got Jimmy Dean turkey sausage patties for her. On it's own for breakfast I thought it wasn't great but it wasn't bad. I used it in red eye gravy and in that I couldn't notice the difference. So I think that if you used it in your stuffing there's so many other flavors that it might work. Besides the sausage I used onions, celery and walnuts and moistened it with dry sherry and broth. Sometimes I put chopped apples in it but hubby doesn't like fruit in it.
I thought about adding an apple also. We never did, but I think I'd like it. I'll use the turkey sausage for something else, perhaps for breakfast sausage. Or maybe in spaghetti sauce. The dry sherry sounds like a good ingredient. That's the "secret" ingredient in my home made spaghetti sauce. (shhhh...) I also dusted the top of my casseroles with grated Parmesan cheese. Added a nice flavor without detracting from the veggies and herbs.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!