View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 01:10 AM   #3949
dini
Splitcoast Artist in Residence
Splitcoast Dirty Dozen Alumni
Mix-Ability Challenge Hostess

Well, my attempt at making marshmallows was..... interesting! I had to find a recipe that didn't call for corn syrup, and DH couldn't find gelatin, so all I had to work with was agar-agar.

First attempt was a complete failure - we ended up with slightly thickened sugar syrup - the mix never got thick or fluffy. Boo.

Read a little more on the internet, and found recipes that called for egg whites, and also read that when you substitute agar-agar for gelatin, you need an additional 'protein' in the mix, such as sweet rice flour. I do have that. But all I had left was orange flavored agar-agar. Hm.

Mixed the sugar syrup and agar-agar as before - and forgot to add the flour when the mixture was still hot. Then realized that the egg whites were supposed to be whipped separately.

I figured I had nothing to lose, so I reheated the agar-agar/sugar syrup/flour mixture to boiling, whipped the egg whites to stiff peaks, and mixed the syrup back in. HEYY!!! Light and fluffy and stiff. Sooooo... I have that setting in a sugared pan now. I have no idea what it is... but I think it might work.

If you hear a voice within you say you cannot paint,
then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
Vincent Van Gogh

Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!