View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 08:46 PM   #41
mamaxsix
Stazon Splitcoast

Default Grandma Metzger's Fruit Bread

***Just a word of warning-I copied this the way my grandma wrote it and she is definitely NOT a regular writer of recipes-way more of an instinctive cook! It makes a TON of bread though she doesn't say how many loaves; she tended to make hers in whatever cans she had around instead of loaf pans. I have one huge bowl that pretty much only gets used for this recipe....we call it the grandma bowl. I'm sure you could scale it down, but when you have 15 kids like she did your recipes are HUGE!

Hutsel-Fruit Bread
2 packages prunes 1 pkg dried apricots 1 pkg dried peaches
1 pkg dried figs Candied fruits if you like (my grandma didn’t use them)
1 pkg raisins
nuts-black walnuts if you have them
12 cups flour
2 cups sugar
3 pkgs yeast
1 cup water
4 eggs
1 cup shortening
*My Grandma’s notes to me “This recipe is in old or first Lester cook book from Polly’s Grandma Moser-we use 1 cup rye flour instead of all white flour-do as you wish. Old timers didn’t follow so close or used more what they had, so you can use different nuts or dried fruits-was all fruits and let stand in little liquids, water or fruit juice to soak (don’t cook fruit). I think you will get along fine if you want to try it or just half the amount the first time”
Cut up fruit and nuts. Let 3 pkgs yeast 1 tsp sugar in 1 cup warm water stand a few minutes. Put sugar and 2 cups liquid over the fruit in a large bowl. Add 3 cups flour and 3 tsp salt, 4 eggs and 1 cup melted shortening. Pour in yeast mixture. Stir in 9 more cups flour, dough will be sticky. Let rise for some time or few hours. (don’t knead down)
Use small pans or cans desired size grease well & fill little over ˝ full. Bake ˝ hour at 350 then 45 min at 325. Cover with foil after ˝ hour to prevent burning. lay a sheet of aluminum foil across top. Let rise in pans short time before baking.

Stamping for my Sanity's Sake!

Romans 8:28-29
I finally have a blog! Click here to check it out.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!