View Single Post
Old 11-20-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
flash&rusty
Polyshrink Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Mischelle Smith* View Post

Charging ~ are you doing it for the joy of cardmaking, to make $, to support your habit ... ??? Know the cost of your supplies and start figuring out how much you have in each card. Consider whether or not you'll be charging for your time and labor.
I'm obviously undercharging - since I am very slow at making them, minimum wage is $10.65/hr, and it takes at least 2 hours to think it up and create it, throw that in the trash because I dropped my stamp on it by accident, take another hour to re-create it, add in the cost of the supplies - mine should be $50 each!

In all seriousness, setting a price is such a difficult question. Most of the time, it is not about how much you have invested in it, but how much the market you are selling in will bear. I sell my A4 (4.25 X 5.5) for $2 each, and a slightly larger one for $3. No distinction is made for how much or little they are embellished. That being said, I don't tend to do too much embellishment - usually some dp matted in a complementary colour, a focal image (sometimes a stamped image, sometimes a die cut), an accent stripe/ribbon, and they are usually blank inside. When all is said and done, I am sure I am either losing money, or just breaking even, but I make cards for the love of it, so if I can recoup any of my costs, that is just a bonus. I recently sold around $60 worth, which then helped me justify the purchase of several new stamp sets (which cost more than the $60 but we won't go there!).

I tried selling them for $3 and $4, and they just wouldn't sell, so I had to lower my price. However, there are a lot of people out there that easily sell their card creations for $4 and $5 and people will buy without batting an eye. You might try setting your price at the higher end and see how they do. If they are moving well, great. If not, you can always lower your prices. Increasing your prices usually won't fly.

Hope that helps.
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!