View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #1
raquelita_uno
Polyshrink Goddess

Default In need of advise re:bad influence on my children

My husband and I are at a loss. A neighbor's (and friend) 9yo granddaughter comes to visit her a couple of times a month and often hangs out with my 7 and 4 yo DDs. Throughout the course of these visits over the last two years it has become abundantly clear that this little girl is manipulative, mean-spirited and cruel and as of yesterday, also a thief. The item was returned this morning but with a litany of excuses and lies.

The situations with this child have been a good source of teachable moments between my oldest DD and I and I appreciate the chance to help her build a strong and compationate character. As a family we have decided that this little girl is no longer welcome to play at our house but that if my daughters would like, they may go over to the grandmother's to play. So here is the dilemna. How do I address this with the parents/grandparents and child? To put this in perspective, we live across the street from the grandparents in a town of less than 500. There are no other children on our street so when this girl comes to play there aren't other children to include. I feel very affectionate toward the grandparents and see them on a daily basis. It makes me so angry that this child is threatening to ruin the relationship I have with my neighbors.

Any advise on how to tactfully handle the situation would be appreciated. I'm not interested in punishing the little girl. I want to let by-gones be by-gones, but I won't condone bad behavior in my home. Finally I want to buffer my daughters from this girl's influences.

As my best friend says, "Stamping....it's cheaper than therapy" to which I add, "Not by much".

My mom was the proud recipient of my first handmade card. Cost $200.

~My Gallery~
Tweet this Post! Share on Facebook Reddit!! Pin on Pinterest! Share on Google+!